Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritable bowel syndrome

Default Irritable bowel syndrome

Not quite incontinence, but I thought this would be the best place for it.
    I've suffered IBS since I hit puberty and recently had my worst (still ongoing) bout of it. I would never have considered forcing it myself, but I feel I've just had a glimpse of incontinence and its something I'd rather I didnt experience again.

I tend to watch what I eat, plan any trips from home to have regular toilet stops & if in doubt get padded for safety.

So, my question is this; Does anyone else here suffer IBS and if so how do you deal with it?

DominatingMommy

I have IBS. I've changed my diet a lot, almost eliminating meat from it. I thought that a vegetarian diet might make it worse, but it seems to have helped tremendously. I say "almost" because I crave a hamburger occasionally and just have to suffer, and I do still eat chicken and fish, but rarely.

And yes, I know where every clean restroom from my house to...well...anywhere else I might go is.

in my case alot of sald makes it worse, less red meat and more white helps and cutting back on things with artificial sweetners like soda is helping, but not enough so far

Zeit

I've had to deal with IBD for the past 5 years and it's not the most fun either. IBS runs in my family but I'm the first one to get this. I'm currently eating what I like and for the most part I'm pretty much in complete remission but when this condition was full swing, I was in the bathroom 6-7 times a day at least.

I'm sorta hoping that it never comes down to the point where I need protection but if it comes back again any degree worse than it was before, I won't have a choice until it settles back down.

I'm keeping faith that there'll be much better treatments soon than what's available right now, which is pretty much pain meds and Advil.

The moral of the story is; fecal incontinence isn't super fun!

It's actually a fairly common condition and I to deal with it. More than anything its the stomach pain that bothers me, it seems constant along with the frequent trips to the bathroom.

Watching what you eat seems to be the only thing to help it, I'm with Zeit hope they figure something out for it in the near future.

Zeit

Oh I forgot to mention as well, I recently went "majority vegetarian" about a month ago (I'm only eating meat on special occasions and have given up red meat altogether) and I did notice a significant difference. No pains, more energy, more regular. It's pretty nice.

DominatingMommy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeit View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention as well, I recently went "majority vegetarian" about a month ago (I'm only eating meat on special occasions and have given up red meat altogether) and I did notice a significant difference. No pains, more energy, more regular. It's pretty nice.

Yeah, I was completely shocked too at what a difference it made.

Yumi

IBS isn't very direct. Sometimes they use it to say that they're not quite sure what is wrong with you, but something isn't right in that area. I think I technically had it when I was 3 or 4, but, then they discovered the real problem. (I don't even remember what the real problem was.. x___x )

I have it. Currently its in sort of a dormant state though(occurrences about once ever 2 months). I used to have it about once or twice a week. I found that pork products do me in the worst( and a sure fire way of setting it off)........same thing with peanuts and coffee. My meds to stop the cramps would be bentyl, and zofran for the occasional nausea.

I have had it for about 10 years..........its does GET BETTER......as I have noticed lulls in the symptoms. Due to the sheer randomness of the trigger foods, I have just learned to keep my meds handy. You could try diapers, as according to my gastroenterologist, it is a legitimate need if your overall control has weakened.

Butterfly Mage

My doctor put me on a high fiber diet two years ago to solve a different problem. the down side is that I get this situation that I unflatteringly refer to as "turd storm" where I really have to race for the bathroom. I'll really go far out of my way to not do #2 in a diaper because it's so difficult to get clean afterwards.