OK: here's a new diaper problem (at least to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I'm coming out of a play (a really good, albeit intense, drama) and my diaper is totally soaked, so I make my way to the women's room and get into the line, waiting for my turn and then for the disabled stall to change.

So far, normal.

I untape and drop the old diaper, clean up, and take the new one (the only one I have with me tonight) from my purse. I position it and lean against the wall. These diapers (BetterDrys), as I've mentioned elsewhere, work really well but are sized poorly for me, and as a result I end up using mediums that barely fit, a choice I gladly make over larges that are so huge that they leak most of the time because I can't get a snug closure around my thighs. Fortunately the plastic they are made of is SUPER stretchy, so I have developed the habit of stretching the thigh material out just a bit before taping, assuring the best possible fit without getting so tight it rolls.

So I start doing this in the stall...and the entire edge of the diaper, including the tapes, simply tears off!!! I'm so stunned that the diaper falls to the floor; I'm sure it is seen by the woman in the next stall, but I have somewhat bigger problems on my mind: a diaper without tapes on one side! (Not to mention an inch and a half narrower when it barely fits anyway.)

But...

Due to tape malfunction os other brands (24/7, anyone?), I keep a roll of duct tape in my purse also. It is extremely awkward and difficult against the side wall of a stall, especially an end stall where the door opens to the walkway in front of the others and so I can't use that space at all (women waiting will be watching feet), but I meticulously tape the strip of diaper back onto the diaper itself, making sure it is reinforced so it will stay on when stressed. I'm interrupted in all of this a couple of times by people wondering if the stall is simply empty. When I finish, finally, I put it on.

It works.

Of course it's soaked again by the time I get home, but so what?

Anyone else ever have a diaper completely fall apart while putting it on?

Never to that degree, but I also pull the sides very snug or even a little tight as diapers do stretch like you said. I have have times when one tape will completely tear off from the side panels, or the plastic shell will tear some just behind where the tapes attach on at.

Just try to not pull on it as much. This means you will need to re-adjust the tapes after a couple of hours, but they aren't as likely to tear this way.

I've had that happen to me before occasionally. I figure it's got to be a manufacturing error of some kind. A long time ago I started keeping at least two more diapers than I expect to need on me at all times, but I also carry a fully stocked diaper bag wherever I go too.

This has happend for me a few times as well. I always take an extra diaper or two with me.

Yes, I have had similar disposable adult diaper structural failures.
Duct tape to the rescue!
I try not to "waste" diapers.

I've had a couple where the tape just ripped off entirely when I stretched it. It's happened once or twice on premium brands even, so I think it's just one of those 0.5% of the line has a defect problems regardless of what diaper brand you're using.

I had a tape rip off a Bianco Stretch recently. I placed the tab so that it straddled both the wing and the shell. When I returned home I sewed the tab back on to the wing (I keep needle and thread in the bathroom cabinet).

I mostly use Tena Classic Briefs, sometimes one of the tapes rip off while I try to put it on. I have no idea why it happens, but when it does, they feel a little loose on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back