Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People are so rude....!

Default People are so rude....!

Due to the fact that Iím incontinent (urge and overactive bladder with IBS) I tend to fill several nappies a day. Itís all fairly normal to me as Iíve dealt with it for most of my adult and teenager life and thatís what Iíve accepted.

Because Iím a very normal looking 25 year old, it apparently takes away my entitlement to use disabled toilets....I went to my local supermarket on the weekend and during the car journey, I ended up having an IBS attack followed by a panic attack and filled my nappy rather badly. As soon as we arrived at the supermarket, I made a beeline for the disabled toilet and started sorting myself out. It took me a while to sort myself out and I could hear somebody pulling at the door several times.

When I emerged from the toilet, there was an elderly couple waiting and the husband got right up in my face and proceeded to give me a lecture on being disrespectful and that itís disgusting that Iím using a facility that is reawrved for the elderly. I got quite upset over this and despite my pleas for him to stop embarrassing me in public, he didnít. I stated several times that Iíve got a hidden disability, to which he was disinterested.
    Iím quite a blunt and radical person so decided to turn this situation around as quickly as possible. I invited the gent into the toilet and opened the bin in the corner and pointed at my soiled pad - he said ďwhy the hell are you showing me thatĒ. I responded by saying ďIíve just made that, how do you think it makes me feel when somebody who doesnít even know me, assumes that Iím being disrespectful when I actually suffer from a debilitating medical condition which means I have to use a disabled toilet?Ē.

Iíve never seen somebody backpedal so quickly...itís a shame that he wouldnít take my word for it!

He Was Disrespectful and rude in the first place. That Elderly man, I would've taken my pants off in front of him and show him my diaper to embarass him even more It's no shame in wearing it's a shame for what that old guy did. Given his age he should have known better to be honest with you. He should have bought u Ice cream and apology profoundly for what he did. UHH It got me angry and I rarely get angry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip92 View Post
    Due to the fact that Iím incontinent (urge and overactive bladder with IBS) I tend to fill several nappies a day. Itís all fairly normal to me as Iíve dealt with it for most of my adult and teenager life and thatís what Iíve accepted.

Because Iím a very normal looking 25 year old, it apparently takes away my entitlement to use disabled toilets....I went to my local supermarket on the weekend and during the car journey, I ended up having an IBS attack followed by a panic attack and filled my nappy rather badly. As soon as we arrived at the supermarket, I made a beeline for the disabled toilet and started sorting myself out. It took me a while to sort myself out and I could hear somebody pulling at the door several times.

When I emerged from the toilet, there was an elderly couple waiting and the husband got right up in my face and proceeded to give me a lecture on being disrespectful and that itís disgusting that Iím using a facility that is reawrved for the elderly. I got quite upset over this and despite my pleas for him to stop embarrassing me in public, he didnít. I stated several times that Iíve got a hidden disability, to which he was disinterested.
    Iím quite a blunt and radical person so decided to turn this situation around as quickly as possible. I invited the gent into the toilet and opened the bin in the corner and pointed at my soiled pad - he said ďwhy the hell are you showing me thatĒ. I responded by saying ďIíve just made that, how do you think it makes me feel when somebody who doesnít even know me, assumes that Iím being disrespectful when I actually suffer from a debilitating medical condition which means I have to use a disabled toilet?Ē.

Iíve never seen somebody backpedal so quickly...itís a shame that he wouldnít take my word for it!
    Yeah, I've been there soooo many times too. Not only am I incontinent, but I have pain in legs an knees from just walking for 10 minutes. I'm constantly getting people trying to call me out for using disables services, just because they can't see my disability.

I often will either ignore them if I can, or call them out in ways like you did. You made the right call putting him in his place as nobody has the right to belitle or berate us like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slip92 View Post

I admire you for having the courage to stand up to this person and put him in his place. Hopefully it was a learning experience for him that you can't make assumptions about other people. Not every illness or disability is visable to others. A number of health conditions may not be apparent to others but they are no less debilitating, such as mental illness, heart conditions, or epilepsy.

If only people would have their facts straight before they proceed to judge others, we'd have a much more civil society. Good on you for doing your part.

You handled it in probably the best possible way, although that guy probably deserved to have your used diaper thrown at him.

It always amazes me how many complete idiots there are that have to be dealt with. At least you handled it well and maybe it will make him think before he shoots his mouth off.

I had to use the family restroom tonite some one had pooped all over the toilet in the men's room.
    I had to go.
    I'm sorry you were treated badly.

I'm glad it turned out well for you. I'm always rehearsing an argument in my head whenever I need a public change just out of fear that I'm going to run into a similar situation every time.

I have had a confrontation with a lady over using the disabled toilet before. She didn't know where to put her self when I told her I was incontinent and was just changing my nappy.

As an older adult with Cerebral Palsy I have experienced this type of situation many times.
    As always I apologize for my short replies.