Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I going to be arrested?

Default Am I going to be arrested?

In my interview do rmy job I lied about my qualification in maths saying I got a "c" grade when in fact I got a "e" grade.

Today I had my induction and they asked why I hadn't brought my GCSE certificates so I explained how I never got mine posted and got asked to get them from my old school.

So I then confessed and the person I was speaking to mentioned something about fraud and I started to get worried but she explained how I was still exempt from doing a maths exam and carried on with my paperwork as if I never said that statement but she did say it would be on record that I had lied.

I told my supervisor and she didn't say a lot except what else am I lying about so I said nothing.

Why I lied was because on the online application it said I needed a c grade in maths to get the job so I was scared of not getting the job so after I was explained that I would work towards getting the grade anyway, I was relived but kinda surpised I still have my job.

So after speaking to my supervisor, I got told my uniform would arrive soon and when I'm starting.

If I was going to be arrested, would I of been sent home or fired first and then arrested, or would I keep my job and get a fine or just have it put on my police record?

I'm a little worried but thank goodness I'm staying at my nanas house for the weekend anyway! I had no idea that I broke the law!! Help!!!

Arrested, very unlikely. There's a few positions where that might be a possibility, but if they're mailing you a uniform it's very unlikely you're talking about one of them.

Worst that'd happen is you'd be fired.

No, you will not be arrested for lying on a job application. The worst would be you would not get the job or get the job and upon further review, get fired. The fact that you are getting a uniform and your supervisor didn't say a lot also makes me think you're in the clear. Good luck on the new job!

I think their only legal option would be to fire you for breaching the contractual requirements of getting the position. Since they're finalizing the start date and sending you the uniform, I don't see anything to worry about concerning further actions against you.

However, it does get you off to a bad start with a new employer. You will need to work twice as hard on building up trust with your employer so that they have confidence in you. This puts a bit of a blemish on your record, and you'll need to prove to them that they made the right decision to hire you in spite of this transgression . The other thing to consider is that the math grade may affect your chances of promotion in the future, so you may want to consdier upgrading it. You can get past this. It'll take some time and hard work, but you can get past it.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 23-Sep-2017 at 01:23.

Thanks star runnner, I understand about my blemish on the record and I see no reason why I would ever lie again, so I shouldn't be worried about losing my job.

I'll see what they say later on in career about my maths grade.

I don't think it has affected how my supervisor thinks of me since she still treats me like before but she knows what I did.

At least now I know I never have to lie again and it's a relief I wouldn't be arrested

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
    No, you will not be arrested for lying on a job application. The worst would be you would not get the job or get the job and upon further review, get fired. The fact that you are getting a uniform and your supervisor didn't say a lot also makes me think you're in the clear. Good luck on the new job!
    Thanks scaremouche

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I think their only legal option would be to fire you for breaching the contractual requirements of getting the position.
    It's technically a criminal offence -- "fraud by false representation", with a maximum sentence of ten years imprisonment. But so many people do it that there's virtually zero chance of being charged over it if you're working for a private company in a position with little responsibility.

This woman lied about her A-levels for a basic administrative role and was jailed for six months, but I think the fact that she was working for the NHS (as opposed to a private business) meant that she was expected to be more publicly accountable than otherwise:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ob-jailed.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/careers/...cv-steve-szita

I've never lied on my CV, so I don't have any personal experience of the consequences. But our politicians and business leaders are experts in this kind of thing. They tend to get away with it by refusing to go into any detail, other than to rely on a simple "mistake" that they overlooked.

The prosecutions tend to come from when people are suspected of committing further offences, and their credentials are retrospectively investigated.

If it were me, I'd make up reasons to delay showing your certificates until you've been in the job for a week or two. In that time, be the best employee you could be. Don't suck up to anyone, but just do a really, really good job. Then say you've got your certificates and "oh my goodness!" you've made a little mistake. Awfully sorry! Hopefully, by that time, you've done such a good job that they won't want to get rid of you! Or -- better still, don't say anything and hope they don't notice. If they do, insist that you said "E" in the interview and that is does sound a lot like "C"... so the interviewer must have been mistaken. You have always been honest with them (*crossed fingers*).

But that's just my take on things... you're the only one who knows all the details and you have a much better idea of how things might play out, so don't listen to me!

I've already said the lie so Id I continue to lie, I would be certainly arrested and that is what I don't want

Well, they seem to be wanting to keep you. So it would be pretty stupid from their point of view to trouble you with an investigation.

Childcare

- - - Updated - - -

A daycare worker, I'm a apprentice