Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys R Us

Default Toys R Us

I'm surprised Toys R Us bankruptcy hasn't been discussed yet. I realize it's just a way to reorganize and that most stores will stay open. For now. I hope so. I had a lot of good memories shopping there for nieces, nephews, neighborhood kids and our own child.

Do you have any good memories of Toys R Us?

I remember when it seemed like those aisles were stocked to the ceiling! Then they remodeled most stores, dividing it into a boys' side and a girls' side, and then it seemed like they had less...

And also the way you used to buy video games, you would take a ticket from the aisle, go to the register and pay, then get your game from a separate little room.

I'd be a little sad if the local one closed down (it's been rumored about for years) but... I'd try to get some good deals at the going-out-of-business sale at least.

I don't have memories of there but have lots of memories of F.A.O Schwartz there gone now but if you have seen the Tom Hanks/ Robert Logia movie "big" thats the toy store that the piano was in and lots of scenes were filmed there , it's was a kind of magical spiritual place that young or old going in there you became little again running battles of laser tag and people shooting pool noodles at you , or cruising around in mini cars it was just unforgetable fun & frolicking every time I went into that part of the city you would just have 3-4 hours lost playing games with perfect strangers as you wandered around the store , there was at least 5 of every toy they sold out and availbe to play with from play dough on up, it even had it own candy store , as you can tell if it was still there I would be also.
    I wonder about how toys r us is going to get back on track from 5 billion in loses , the toys r us we have is a small dirty dive hate to say it the pet store next foot is bigger.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
    I don't have memories of there but have lots of memories of F.A.O Schwartz there gone now but if you have seen the Tom Hanks/ Robert Logia movie "big" thats the toy store that the piano was in and lots of scenes were filmed there , it's was a kind of magical spiritual place that young or old going in there you became little again running battles of laser tag and people shooting pool noodles at you , or cruising around in mini cars it was just unforgetable fun & frolicking every time I went into that part of the city you would just have 3-4 hours lost playing games with perfect strangers as you wandered around the store , there was at least 5 of every toy they sold out and availbe to play with from play dough on up, it even had it own candy store , as you can tell if it was still there I would be also.
    I wonder about how toys r us is going to get back on track from 5 billion in loses , the toys r us we have is a small dirty dive hate to say it the pet store next foot is bigger.

When I was at the local Toys R Us last month looking for solar-eclipse glasses, you couldn't play with the train set on display because it was behind a case.

As my dad said about a way to revitalize the local mall that keeps losing more and more stores... you need a gimmick. Something that is going to make people say ''Hey, I'd rather go to Toys R Us than to Walmart or Amazon.''

I wonder if they could branch out into something along the lines of Chuck E. Cheese. Have a big indoor playground and plenty of their toys on display with the ability to actually play with them, and charge admission to that part of the store. Then those customers would receive discounts on the merchandise...

Or maybe even offer child-care services.

Yeah its ashame the empty corporate suits havent come up with that, want start a toy store and kick some ass thats a winner!

Toys R Us has been an armpit for decades. I'm amazed they've lasted as well as they have.

I grew up in the DC area in the early sixties and it was always a trip to go to "The Childrens Supermarket" (the subtitle for toys r us) back in their glory days. By the time I kids came around, the places were such a mess that I'd try to shop anywhere else.

Things started coming apart a long time ago (early 70's) and it was really the founder being overly agressive and making some mistakes he never financially recovered from. After the founder finally bailed, the succession of investment companies that controlled it just never figured out how to do anything with it. The fact that online shopping came along is a scapegoat for the horrendous debt ridden, idiocy that the company was saddled with for the past two decades.

There was a long article in The Washington Post concerning Toys R Us. A lot of the things willnotwill were mentioned. The problem with toy stores is that toys change as do the interests of children. Kids get so many things on line now, something mentioned in The Post article. They don't by game cartridges much, but download them. Toys now sync up to Ipads. In that regard, kids play more on tablets than with toys and box games.

Still, I love Toys R Us. I love to walk through it and see all the toys. And there are neat things for kids. Two of our grandchildren are really into construction toys like Legos, Construxt, or something like that. There are wonderful things to buy for kids that are sold in stores, but more and more, parents buy on line.

I don't want them to go belly up
    Because if they did
    I couldn't be a Toys R Us kid.

(I know you're all humming the tune. )

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
    I don't want them to go belly up
    Because if they did
    I couldn't be a Toys R Us kid.

(I know you're all humming the tune. )
    True, but if they don't have a million toys anymore then are *they* still toys-r-us?

I have a soft spot in my heart for Toys R Us. I can remember begging my parents to take me there so that I could get new Atari 2600 cartridges.

In recent years, however, my main attraction to Toys R Us has been the often-attached Babies R Us with its large selection of diapers. For a while it was the only place near me that carried the largest sizes of Pampers and whatnot. These days Target and Walmart carry them, and they have better prices too. Sadly I think the Toys R Us business model, like that of so many "big box" stores, is doomed to die by Amazon's hand.