Outpatient Surgery, Hospital Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm90210

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
A few weeks ago I asked for some advice in this thread here (Upcoming Surgery, I lied... https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...rg/forum/showthread.php?t=110897&share_type=t)

Essentially I was feeling a little guilty, wondering if I had misled the docs office regarding me need for diapers. The consensus here was that I was over reacting and that my need was indeed genuine; furthermore consensus here was that I should just go, wear my diaper, not make a big deal about it, and that neither would they. So here’s what happened.

I showed up for the surgery at the center - wasn’t in a regular hospital facility but instead in the bottom of a clinic, where they had a number of surgery suites. I was informed that usually the procedures I was having done, when performed together, require at least a night in the hospital, and that they didn’t know why it got scheduled this way. I informed them that I couldn’t take any time off work - and that we had gone around and around on this very point - and that they had agreed to do them both as outpatient. Furthermore that I knew the risks and the extra pain. Anyways, that was upsetting but it was the worst of it really.

I went back to a curtained off corner with a nurse and she gave me a clear plastic trash bag and said to strip everything off, head to toe, and then to put on a robe, a cap, and some grippy socks. Quickly she corrected herself and said, “oh, except your underwear, you can wear underwear.” She had my charts in her hand, not sure if that second comment was in regards to the diaper, but I assumed it to be.

In any case, I changed quickly behind the curtain, put my diaper on very fast (one of the quickest ever). I decided to try to wear the most medical type diaper I could come up with — the style a more ordinary non diaper loving person might choose if they had a severe bed wetting problem. I used one of these new molicare super cloth diapers that I keep cheering about. So good. I added a north shore care booster to it and its almost like having on an old tena maxi. Great thinness and great performance. Anyways, I put the diaper on and then put a pair of compression type boxers over it, followed by the robe and the rest.

I sat down and waited. Nurse came back, did a quick medical history. “When did you last eat? Medications? Etc.” Nothing mentioned of diapers or bed wetting. I didn’t ask. Although I tried to look at the chart to see if it was listed there anywhere. Didn’t see it.

She put in an IV and started pumping saline through me. Along with anti-biotics. The doctors came - surgeon and anesthesiologist. Both walked through what was going to happen. The surgeon again gave me a hard time about doing both surgeries at once. Described the hard recovery. I told him to fuck off and to do the goddamned surgeries we had agreed upon. Sorry. I didn’t say that. Just checking to see if you’re reading. BUT I FELT LIKE SAYING IT!!!!

Another nurse came to get me and told me to get up. I figured we were going to the bathroom. She walked me down the hall and straight into the surgery center. I was surprised because other people had been taken to the bathroom the whole time I had been sitting waiting. It was right across the call from my little cubby/curtain/room. Wonder if they knew I was in a diaper and just didn’t offer because of that. It was a little strange looking back because literally every other surgery I’ve had, they have had me go pee right be fore. Every other time. No one said a word this time.

Anyways, I went back to the surgery suite and laid down on the flat hard bed. They put a breather thing over my mouth and said that they were injecting me with something that would make me sleepy. Within 20 seconds I’d say, I was gone.

I woke up in a recovery area. Lots of pain. Lots of discomfort. A little disoriented. Very sleepy. Nurse talking loudly in my ear. My robe had been removed and just was draped over top of me along with a blanket. Obviously had been taken off for surgery. I was in and out for about an hour there.

I do remember the nurse pulling up the sheets, pulling up one leg of my boxers, and jamming a pain-killer needle into my thigh. It didn’t hurt as bad as I make it sound here. And it took the edge off :) Nothing mentioned about my diaper there.

At another point, I remember asking her if I was wet - very groggy. I felt my crotch and the like to see. I coudn’t tell. She said no. No idea why it mattered just then. No idea if she even knew! I doubt she wanted to know even if I were! Ha. Anyways, later to find, I most definitely was wet. Quite.

I got moved shortly after this recovery period to another area where my wife was. Back in the initial intake recliner chair I started in. Still wearing my diaper, I felt very sleepy and groggy. When it was time to change into street clothes to go get back in the car, I asked for a new diaper from my wife. We had brought an extra. I changed into it and then my clothes. All behind the curtain.
Put the old one in the trash can by my seat.

Before leaving, all the time being out of surgery and in recovery, once again I was never asked by the nurse about going to the bathroom. I’m guessing that on that end of things its more common to not have the need. God knows, It took me like 4 days to poop later! Lol. Sorry if that’s TMI.

So all and all, my worry proved to be not much ado about anything. There was no drama. No confrontation. No awkward questions. Just normal surgery with what I normally wear to bed. I was shocked actually. Thanks for your help BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm sure they knew you were diapered right from the go. They are trained to go over all your conditions when getting you set up, incontinence needs are one of them- especially if it's already in your medical records.

And as you found out, diapers a nothing to medical staff. They really don't care, other than making sure your needs are being met.

We told you it was not going to be a big deal. And now you glad you wore the diaper since you were wet according to the above post. By the way that constipation is from the anesthesia/pain medications one of the side effects from it. Stool softeners and a high fiber diet along with extra hydration will get your innards back to proper parasalysis state.l
Anyway heal and rest.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you. So everything other than the nappy anxiety must of turned out okay then? And good restraint on your part not telling the surgeon off. I worked in telecommunication customer service and if you pee off the wrong rep you may pay for it. Geez! Imagine what a surgeon could do?

Yeah it’s kind of a sensitive position to be in pre surgery. I was quite tactful - if not only because I was taken off guard. I’m going to be a little more honest in our post op appointment next week.

But yeah surgery seemed to be fine. Pain is pretty intolerable. Just awful. The first few days were fine but now after 5 it’s unbelievable. Diapers and narcotics for me are a good combo. My wife is very accepting of both in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back