Thread: Phrases said in my childhood that make me react the same way as an adult

Default Phrases said in my childhood that make me react the same way as an adult

So the other day I was waiting in an airport with my parents [we were heading back to England from our holiday] and dad was trying to annoy me, and it ended up reminding me of this annoying thing he did.
    when I was a child and threw a strop and didn't want to smile or calm down. he'd look me in the face and just say "I can see a smile wanting to come out!"
    and it would always work. no matter how hard I tried not to.
    I'd always end up smiling.
    I guess my point to this is. I never realised how many things adults would say to me as a kid. still push my buttons nowadays.
    do any of you have any phrases that'd trigger you in much the way they would as a kid?

-ConInc

I haven't thought about that yet. But I was definitely smiling after reading the phrase your dad has said.

WARNING MAY BE TRIGGERING FOR OTHER ABUSE VICTIMS

I was sexually abused as a child, and to this day, and probably forever, my biggest trigger phrase has been "it's our secret." It doesn't matter what the situation it was in. We could be planning a surprise party and someone could say it and suddenly I'd be ashamed and guilty. I don't like secrets, to this day.

pgfdp. I am so sorry for you. my deepest sympathies.
    I had not intended for this post to bring up traumatic memories. nor had I considered that it would.
    I cannot comprehend how horrible that must have been but I pray that you will find peace and be able to put such a past behind you.
    -ConInc