Diaper rash problems...not enough powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleKae

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
how do you know if you're using enough baby powder during diaper changes?

I only wear occasionally, and not for long periods of time if I wet...but I've been dealing with a rash for a week and a half now, and think it's because I'm not using enough powder and it's been hot lately. I can't tell if this is a heat rash, or a diaper rash of some other kind (yeast probably) because it's not responding to my 40% Zinc Parent's Choice brand diaper ointment or my off-brand fast-relief destin. I think it has the same amount of zinc in it...?

Anyways--I think part of the problem is from going out recently and running some errands in a diaper after not using enough powder, and sweating a lot! Had I known I was going to be out that long, I wouldn't have worn that day...but ended up being out for longer than intended. Not doing that again!

Not to get too graphic, but it hurts whenever I sit and I haven't worn diapers in three days...can someone help? I got some off-brand athlete's foot cream yesterday and it seems to be helping a lot, but the pain is still there whenever I sit! Sleeping on my back is unpleasant, too.

Oh well I Use Sudocrem Cream U use it around your legs where Diaper touches your legs and u can also put it over your private areas. Seems to work well even in hot climates while travelling.
PS. U need to drink a lot so u don't sweat If you're hydrated well u will sweat less and pee more.

Skip powder, it does very little for rashes.

You need to be using both cream and ointment. A good diaper cream will absorb into your skin to heal the rash. A good ointment will create a barrier on your sking to prevent the rash from getting worse or even starting in the first place.

Now if that doesn't work or at least get better in a few days, then it might nit be a rash at all. It could be a bacterial infection. Over the counter dr.schols or lotramin jock itch stuff works pretty good for that.

Yeah Sudocream works wonders.

aleakyboomboom said:
Yeah Sudocream works wonders.

Yes, but that's only half. You'd still need an ointment for after using the cream.

Do you? strange never seen any need for any other ointment, just fire it on generously, diaper up and done, rash is gone.

Rash cream is also good to have, anything with zinc oxide in

I bought a tub of sudocrem for emergencies but so far I've never had to use it, I never get rashes apart from occasional chathing

aleakyboomboom said:
Do you? strange never seen any need for any other ointment, just fire it on generously, diaper up and done, rash is gone.

If the rash is bad enough, and you want it healed as fast as possible, then yes you do need it.

Will a rash heal with only one, of course. It will take longer though. Heck, just keeping the skin clean and dry will heal a rash, no ointments crams or powders needed. Though obviosly it will take longer still.

It all just boils down to the desired speed of recovery, as well as the rate of occurances, you're willing to live with. Go ahead and use only powder, I'm not the one wanting to heal a rash right now.

Slomo said:
If the rash is bad enough, and you want it healed as fast as possible, then yes you do need it.

Will a rash heal with only one, of course. It will take longer though. Heck, just keeping the skin clean and dry will heal a rash, no ointments crams or powders needed. Though obviosly it will take longer still.

It all just boils down to the desired speed of recovery, as well as the rate of occurances, you're willing to live with. Go ahead and use only powder, I'm not the one wanting to heal a rash right now.

" I'm not the one wanting to heal a rash right now." Nor am I, and when I do want to heal a rash I use Sudo Cream.

yeah it's hard to use cremes during the day, the oily lotions can get on the clothes and cause what looks very much like a diaper leak (and one that won't dry and disappear either!)

bambinod said:
yeah it's hard to use cremes during the day, the oily lotions can get on the clothes and cause what looks very much like a diaper leak (and one that won't dry and disappear either!)

Actually, a cream will fully absorb into the skin, and won't leave behind anything/enough to get on clothes. It's the ointments that do that. However, when you use a cream you also don't need very much ointment. Certainly not enough to make it look like a diaper leak that's for sure.

Even beter yet, when you apply it at home in the morning, this will last you through a couple of diaper changes, and long enough to get back home, before needing to reapply any in the evening. In other words, you won't need to worry about creams or ointments while out during the day.

i only use since ointment. mine comes in a pound jar and lasts a hell of a long time. I have never had a rash. it is the main ingredient of Desitin.I do keep my bottom clean, and often clean it with power spray on hand held shower. If on the rare occasion when I don't wear diaper i do make sure i am dry and use Zeasorb which is anti fungal, as recommended by dermatologist.

olddon300 said:
i only use since ointment. mine comes in a pound jar and lasts a hell of a long time. I have never had a rash. it is the main ingredient of Desitin.I do keep my bottom clean, and often clean it with power spray on hand held shower. If on the rare occasion when I don't wear diaper i do make sure i am dry and use Zeasorb which is anti fungal, as recommended by dermatologist.

Yes. Ointment alone is all a person needs for preventing a rash. What would be the point of using a cream ti heal a rash that isn't there.

And I periodically use zeasorb as well. It works great for treating possible bacteria infections, and for when all you need is to get dried out for a short bit. It doesn't work all that good in conjuction with ointments though, so point in using both at the same time.

Like most people have already said here, Sudocrem. I have been wearing nappies/diapers for a long time now and I think my skin is very used to cope with it. But now and again, I will get a sore patch etc. Sudocrem will normally clear it up within a day or so. I also do a lot of long distance running and of course I can get some rubbing from my shorts, I also use Sudo on this (my excuse for having it in the bathroom cabinet). I have not really found a similar cream that compares to it if Im honest.

00Steve00 said:
Like most people have already said here, Sudocrem. I have been wearing nappies/diapers for a long time now and I think my skin is very used to cope with it. But now and again, I will get a sore patch etc. Sudocrem will normally clear it up within a day or so. I also do a lot of long distance running and of course I can get some rubbing from my shorts, I also use Sudo on this (my excuse for having it in the bathroom cabinet). I have not really found a similar cream that compares to it if Im honest.

You hit on a good point. After wearing diapers for long enough, a persons skin will eventually adapt to constantly being wet or chaffed.

If it is still there after a week and you are using a good rash cream. Maybe it's time to "air out" if possible. That means no diapers, yeah it sucks.

I'm partial to a cream called calmoseptine it has menthol and calamine powder. The active ingredient is 20.6% zinc oxide. That is more than anti monkey butt at 14% and butt paste at 16%.

If will stay with you all day, even through changes because a wipe will not get it off.

I have skin that gets seriously irritated by my own sweat like the back of my neck and ears, this stuff clears that up.

The tube lists urine, diarrhea, perspiration, fistula drainage, feeding tube site leakage (stomach acid), wound drainage, minor burns, cuts, scrapes and itching (helps mosquito bites from itching)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Conversation with your doctor

:sad: You need to see a doctor who can diagnose this rash and stop wearing for at least a month or until the rash is 100% gone. You might have to see a dermatologist. You don't have to reveal it's cause. I can tell my derm I wear diapers for fun and love peeing in them. If it's fungal you will need a medication. I hope you have health insurance. Otherwise use anti-diaper rash anti-fungal creams. The desitin is a preventative and you are beyond that point. :educate:

Over the Counter medications:
Nystatin (name brand: Mycostatin)
Clotrimazole (name brand: Lotrimin)
Miconazole Micatin (name brand: Monistat-Derm)

If these don't work see a dermatologist or family doctor. word to the wise. After I wet, I wipe up and put on undies immediately. You might have to wear less and change more quickly. Definitely don't sleep in diapers for awhile. Beyond that, prevent, prevent, prevent. I would use anti-fungal creams instead of desitin and baby powder of course.

diapernh said:
If it is still there after a week and you are using a good rash cream. Maybe it's time to "air out" if possible. That means no diapers, yeah it sucks.

I'm partial to a cream called calmoseptine it has menthol and calamine powder. The active ingredient is 20.6% zinc oxide. That is more than anti monkey butt at 14% and butt paste at 16%.

If will stay with you all day, even through changes because a wipe will not get it off.

I have skin that gets seriously irritated by my own sweat like the back of my neck and ears, this stuff clears that up.

The tube lists urine, diarrhea, perspiration, fistula drainage, feeding tube site leakage (stomach acid), wound drainage, minor burns, cuts, scrapes and itching (helps mosquito bites from itching)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a rash is still there after a week, it probably isn't a rash but a bacterial infection.

And airing out is necessary every day. Going without diapers isn't exactly an option for incontinent people, but it isn't that difficult to still air out. Nit doing so is just inviting a rash to develop.

I personally lay on my bed after my morning shower. I turn my ceiling fan on high, and will be done airing out in just a couple of minutes. While laying there I will use a baby diaper to catch any dribbling. This works great, and is very quick and easy for preventing rashes.

extremecomfy said:
:sad: You need to see a doctor who can diagnose this rash and stop wearing for at least a month or until the rash is 100% gone. You might have to see a dermatologist. You don't have to reveal it's cause. I can tell my derm I wear diapers for fun and love peeing in them. If it's fungal you will need a medication. I hope you have health insurance. Otherwise use anti-diaper rash anti-fungal creams. The desitin is a preventative and you are beyond that point. :educate:

Over the Counter medications:
Nystatin (name brand: Mycostatin)
Clotrimazole (name brand: Lotrimin)
Miconazole Micatin (name brand: Monistat-Derm)

If these don't work see a dermatologist or family doctor. word to the wise. After I wet, I wipe up and put on undies immediately. You might have to wear less and change more quickly. Definitely don't sleep in diapers for awhile. Beyond that, prevent, prevent, prevent. I would use anti-fungal creams instead of desitin and baby powder of course.
:sad: this could be bacterial in which case you may need oral and/or topical antibiotics. :educate:

Sent from my U673C using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back