Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissPink

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
So I flipped through a Target catalog just now and found in the doll section a picture of boy holding a Disney Princess doll.
https://i.imgur.com/aMptwCv.png
I am so proud of Target right now. Finally after all these years I see for the first time a boy playing with a stereotypical feminine toy. I am a little shocked as thought I'd never see it to be honest. I feel that young boys will soon have the same opportunity to like what girls like without being teased or bullied and this is a small step in the right direction. Only wish the retail store I worked at did something like that.
The store I work at used to have the girls and boys sections in catalogs until 2016 (2016 I know right so behind with it) when they finally decided to change such unnecessary categorizing to dolls, cars, outdoor etc. I hope this kind of thing happens more often and with other businesses.
Gosh this just makes me so happy :D

I absolutely love this! Like you said, it's a small step in the right direction but every little step helps. My son loved playing with dolls when he was wee and I didn't have a problem with it, unfortunately other parents and other boys his age weren't always so accepting and it's still like that for young boys today. Hopefully things like this will start to normalise what's always been normal in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in the nursery when I worked, boys and girls played together with any toys, and was good to see the nurses did not bother about this. But girly toys still are pink, and boy toys still are blue usually... and I like purple *pouts* X3

So yup, it's a good step, and I hope they'll start to run from now :3

Is target Australia also owned by Dayton Hudson out of Woburn Mass or is it independent ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

fluffles said:
Hopefully things like this will start to normalize what's always been normal in the first place.
Exactly I wish I had the choice as a kid to like dolls but because I was a boy no doll for me :( I hate when people say "but they do!" No it's not as simple as putting a truck and a doll next down to a boy and say for them to choose. The child who has an underdeveloped mind will not make cognitive choices (because their mind is quite literally not yet developed) instead they will go by instinct and instinct tells them that if they choose the doll they will be teased and bullied by their peers so they don't choose it even if they want to. That's why I think what Target are doing is slowly subconsciously planting the idea into everyone's mind that boys can like feminine stuff too. Growing up I heard all the time about how woman can do anything a man can do but how many times did I hear that men can do anything a woman can do? none. Which is why this is so needed.

Tetra said:
Is target Australia also owned by Dayton Hudson out of Woburn Mass or is it independent ?

No but I can see why one might think that. It's owned by Westfarmers who also own one of Australia's biggest groceries Coles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Australia

Mofi said:
Here in the nursery when I worked, boys and girls played together with any toys, and was good to see the nurses did not bother about this. But girly toys still are pink, and boy toys still are blue usually... and I like purple *pouts* X3

So yup, it's a good step, and I hope they'll start to run from now :3
Same here, I've seen and had nursery workers encourage all children to dress up as what ever they want despite their gender, I found it a little strange ta first as I'm not used to it but now I think it's healthier for the children to dress or play with what ever they would like to

SweetPrincess said:
Exactly I wish I had the choice as a kid to like dolls but because I was a boy no doll for me :( I hate when people say "but they do!" No it's not as simple as putting a truck and a doll next down to a boy and say for them to choose. The child who has an underdeveloped mind will not make cognitive choices (because their mind is quite literally not yet developed) instead they will go by instinct and instinct tells them that if they choose the doll they will be teased and bullied by their peers so they don't choose it even if they want to. That's why I think what Target are doing is slowly subconsciously planting the idea into everyone's mind that boys can like feminine stuff too. Growing up I heard all the time about how woman can do anything a man can do but how many times did I hear that men can do anything a woman can do? none. Which is why this is so needed.

I totally agree with you! I'm a guy as well, and an older one at that, so when I was little doing anything remotely feminine was a no no. Honestly I didn't like loads of feminine things, but I've always loved kids and wanted them, so I always wanted to play with baby dolls. I remember really clearly my dad walking in one time I was playing with one of my sister's dolls and taking it off me, saying it would turn me gay. Like honestly. I let my son and daughter play with whatever they wanted when they were kids, but other people that had no right to, questioned whether that was good parenting or not, or whether I was worried they'd turn out to be gay or trans or whatever. It was ridiculous. So I can't agree more that this is so needed, normalisation of boys and girls doing things normally considered to be done by the other sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's weird because or Targets and another clothing store called Kohls are owned by D & H ,when I was young I worked for a store related to the D & H , they required ever senior associate or manage to attend a certain meeting being held at headquarters and was "mandatory" and we would be compensated for travel and stay at a certain hotel , then I get all the way up there only to find the hotel has no idea what we are talking about there wear no reserved rooms for us , nor did any of us ever get reimbursed for travel.we built this new store and prepared it for opening , we where sent home at different tims to get all gussied up for corporate to open the store ,i was local not brought in from out of town , on my way home to get dressed up a car cut me off on the highway pulling out of a motel , it turned out it was an out of town manager that I new that I hit, neither of us made it to the opening , and we both got fired , company policy was three no shows and you were terminated ,neither of us were conscious in ICU to call work , they had no pity and fired us .to make matters worse she tried to sue me , my cars was in the shop I borrowed a friends , the car was registered to his father who was a billionaire , so in trying to sue me for an accident she caused ,her insurance company ended up settling the case for like two million dollars for annoying the billionaire who had a high powered attorney with offices in New York and London that represented him as the owner ,it was an ugly high speed crash but easy for the cops to determine fault because I hit her head on to the drivers door of her car broadside without ever having a chance to brake , made it open and shut .Yeah I was messed up but in a large luxury car , she was in a compact import , the one injury I I was told about on her by the hospital after I realized she was co-worker was her pelvis was broken in 9 places , that's always bothered me because it had to be life changing for her ,but I don't know how she made out with healing ,my recovery was long hers wss longer.

Here in the U. S., some of the big chain stores have done away with boy's toy isles and girl's toy isle, as they've mixed the two together. It's an attempt to end the stereotypes of what is an appropriate boy's toy or girl's toy, but I find it to not be helpful. My wife and I used to go to Toys R Us, shopping for toys for our grandchildren. It was convenient to have the toys grouped as to types on the various shelves. They tend to be by age appropriateness as well as socially prescribed gender. I know it's nice to be all inclusive, but I'd rather know which isle I'll find the kind of toys my grandchildren will enjoy and play with.

Now we mostly shop using Amazon and it's a different kind of arrangement altogether.

As for gender and stereotypes, you just have to know your child. Our two youngest grandchildren are both boys, but the older one enjoys more feminine or artistic toys than the younger who is interested in tools and buildings. That said, the older is great at building things with Lego blocks, so maybe we adults assign more to gender types than is really there. Let kids be themselves and enjoy whatever interests them. They grow in stages and change constantly. And if you were wondering, yes, the older one takes more after me....haha. But I did build and run two cars on the 1/4 mile track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back