Somewhat random question...How do diapers hold up in EXTREME weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hiya all!

So, this is a bit out of the blue...but, I encountered a bit of a sudden, unfortunate problem that has me sort of scrambling to figure out where to keep a couple cases of (very super-premium) diapers hidden away.

I have a promising spot to keep them where I'm sure they wouldn't be touched..but my problem is, it's in a old somewhat rickety out-building on our family's farm that will be getting VERY cold in the coming months, and also possibly a bit humid (if it rains).

It looks somewhat similar to this:

Old Weathered Barn Scott County-XL.jpg

Does anyone have any idea how well a case of diapers, sealed and still in the cardboard box, would do in such an environment? :X I'd make sure to have them well off the ground (it used to be used for drying tobacco), but the swings in temperature concerns me big time.

Thanks in advance!!

well diapers are USUALLY in sealed bags which should help. but I don't know how much I'd trust them to be airtight. Humidity won't be kind to diapers, that will absorb water from the air. Heat could also be a problem for several reasons, but I don't think cold or temp swing is something you need to worry about.

I would put them in large black garbage bags, tied shut, to reduce the humidity, keep the cardboard of the case dry, keep out the insects, frost prevention, protect from unexpected problems like a roof leak, etc.

I'd not store diapers in extreme humidity. They'll absorb moisture out of the air and cold promote mold growth. You could put them in a trash bag and add a dessicant though and it would probably be fine. Temperature probably isn't much of an issue.

Your biggest problem besides humidity will be mice. They will have a good time building a nest out of a bag of diapers. Put them in a sealed metal trash can if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diapers by design absorb water, so the humidity probably won't be the best unless you can get them in something airtight.

Cold shouldn't be a problem.

Bp220 said:
Your biggest problem besides humidity will be mice. They will have a good time building a nest out of a bag of diapers. Put them in a sealed metal trash can if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGH. I totally forgot about mice! That would be...a disaster. I had thought of bugs possibly being an issue, but figured I could solve that by simply leaving them in the original cardboard box/sealed plastic bags etc, and then maybe one other small layer of protection. (heh heh, protecting the protection..)

That poses a big issue...especially because of where this barn/outbuilding is. (The middle of a forest/valley)

What I wouldn't trust is field mice chewing there way in to find a warm place to nest.
I would transfer them to plastic tote bins to keep them sealed.

oleman72 said:
What I wouldn't trust is field mice chewing there way in to find a warm place to nest.
I would transfer them to plastic tote bins to keep them sealed.

y'know they will chew through those like cotton candy, right?

It would have to be in a metal enclosures to keep the mice out.

I would put them in a good quality sealed container, metal preferably. I'd also consider putting something inside to absorb the humidity like a lot of silica gel or baking soda.

And leave some traps out for the mice.

I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity so long as you don't break the seal on the plastic. Those bags should be airtight enough to keep out water vapor. The cold and heat won't effect them as long as it's not too extreme. I think the first thing to go would be the plastic, so if the place might get hot enough internal conditions to act like a bit of an oven, you'll have to worry about the plastic starting to warp and weaken, but otherwise I think you're fine as far as the weather.

The mice thing is rough. Between bugs, mice, and even the occasional bird, I think metal storage is probably your best bet. I don't know if mice eat through those the airtight seal plastic bins though. I'm not sure why they would since they shouldn't know it's worth bothering with in the first place. But something a little firmer than cardboard and thin plastic wrap is probably called for when it comes to rodents. Also, not sure of your exact area, but if they're going to be sitting for a long time, at least consider the possibility of something bigger like a raccoon getting in the area and knocking stuff around.

Another small, but not definite barrier that you can use if you do store them where rodents could be a problem is placing the packages themselves into some mint lined/infused/whichever word you wish to use, trash bags inside the storage container. We had some issues here with rodents due to construction and lazy neighbors and we had to change all our trash bags to ones scented with mint. Its not 100 percent, but it will help alongside a solid storage container

Yes, humidity might be a problem since diapers do absorb moisture.

I've had diapers in an non-climate control storage locker for extended period withouit problems. Just make sure they stay dry.
Seal them up in a airtight box.

DampRid has a few products would work well to keep your diapers dry but keeping out rodents would be the hassle. You can find DampRid on Amazon. Get a solid storage box and perhaps spread some poison or traps around the area.

Diaper bags are NOT airtight! They have small holes (actually little crosses cut) to ensure that the packages can be pressed tightly in shipping cases etc. Put them in a thick trash bag and close the top well. It's worth the few cents a trash bag costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back