Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat random question...How do diapers hold up in EXTREME weather?

Question Somewhat random question...How do diapers hold up in EXTREME weather?

Hiya all!

So, this is a bit out of the blue...but, I encountered a bit of a sudden, unfortunate problem that has me sort of scrambling to figure out where to keep a couple cases of (very super-premium) diapers hidden away.

I have a promising spot to keep them where I'm sure they wouldn't be touched..but my problem is, it's in a old somewhat rickety out-building on our family's farm that will be getting VERY cold in the coming months, and also possibly a bit humid (if it rains).

It looks somewhat similar to this:

Does anyone have any idea how well a case of diapers, sealed and still in the cardboard box, would do in such an environment? :X I'd make sure to have them well off the ground (it used to be used for drying tobacco), but the swings in temperature concerns me big time.

Thanks in advance!!

well diapers are USUALLY in sealed bags which should help. but I don't know how much I'd trust them to be airtight. Humidity won't be kind to diapers, that will absorb water from the air. Heat could also be a problem for several reasons, but I don't think cold or temp swing is something you need to worry about.

I would put them in large black garbage bags, tied shut, to reduce the humidity, keep the cardboard of the case dry, keep out the insects, frost prevention, protect from unexpected problems like a roof leak, etc.

MassIncon

I'd not store diapers in extreme humidity. They'll absorb moisture out of the air and cold promote mold growth. You could put them in a trash bag and add a dessicant though and it would probably be fine. Temperature probably isn't much of an issue.

Your biggest problem besides humidity will be mice. They will have a good time building a nest out of a bag of diapers. Put them in a sealed metal trash can if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diapers by design absorb water, so the humidity probably won't be the best unless you can get them in something airtight.

Cold shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp220 View Post
    Your biggest problem besides humidity will be mice. They will have a good time building a nest out of a bag of diapers. Put them in a sealed metal trash can if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AGH. I totally forgot about mice! That would be...a disaster. I had thought of bugs possibly being an issue, but figured I could solve that by simply leaving them in the original cardboard box/sealed plastic bags etc, and then maybe one other small layer of protection. (heh heh, protecting the protection..)

That poses a big issue...especially because of where this barn/outbuilding is. (The middle of a forest/valley)

What I wouldn't trust is field mice chewing there way in to find a warm place to nest.
    I would transfer them to plastic tote bins to keep them sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    What I wouldn't trust is field mice chewing there way in to find a warm place to nest.
    I would transfer them to plastic tote bins to keep them sealed.
    y'know they will chew through those like cotton candy, right?

It would have to be in a metal enclosures to keep the mice out.

I would put them in a good quality sealed container, metal preferably. I'd also consider putting something inside to absorb the humidity like a lot of silica gel or baking soda.

And leave some traps out for the mice.