Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaliborio

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
My country is phasing out thin plastic shopping bags next year and eventually phasing out all plastic shopping bags.

This is a problem for me because I bag my diapers in those before putting them in the bin, which has a bin liner. Do I just have to switch straight to bin liners or what? Does anybody else have alternate solutions they use?

Reactions: burrit087
I try and use anything that would have been put in the trash anyway, like food wrappers (eg frozen veg bags) and the wrapper that my diapers came in as much as possible, although of course you can't get them all back in the wrapper lol.

If you have a garden you can empty the pulp from your wet (only)nappies into your compost bin and then wrap the plastic backing up with the tapes and put it your general rubbish.

Really though all councils should have a nappy/hygiene disposal bin separate in this day and age.

Diaper/nappy sacks, they are a lot smaller and hygienic

I funny enough will just be buying plastic bags to put used diapers in. Which is why I think the move is a little ridiculous on my part. I mean my entire family uses those plastic shopping bags to put rubbish into meaning once they stop we will just have to buy them! It seems pointless to me at least we were kind of recycling the plastic bags for another purpose after their purpose of carrying our shopping was done. Now the business get to virtue signal about how amazing their new policy is for the environment and make us buy plastic bags from them as a substitute thus making them more profits. Brilliant!

SweetPrincess said:
I funny enough will just be buying plastic bags to put used diapers in. Which is why I think the move is a little ridiculous on my part. I mean my entire family uses those plastic shopping bags to put rubbish into meaning once they stop we will just have to buy them! It seems pointless to me at least we were kind of recycling the plastic bags for another purpose after their purpose of carrying our shopping was done. Now the business get to virtue signal about how amazing their new policy is for the environment and make us buy plastic bags from them as a substitute thus making them more profits. Brilliant!

Aha!!! A fellow cynic! It is indeed all about profit, isn't it.

SweetPrincess, you are a wonderful example of reusability of plastic bags. From I read about 90% of thee bags are tossed away. What you do is to simply used reusable solid, large bags for shopping and have at home a roll of small plastic bags. There are quite cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that a bag is formed by one plastic bead this doesn't make sense.
Same with water bottles, there made from a plastic bead about the size of a nickel sent through an extruder

Green age you mean money? or do you mean being a Tree Hugger and one of those environmental snowflakes? a scheme brought upon us by progressives to make our lives a living hell and make items cost more. I call it fuzzy science!

I always just roll up my diaper like you're supoosed to, and toss it into a kitchen trash can which has a lid on it. This keeps in the smells without needing to separately bag each diaper.

xpluswearer said:
those environmental snowflakes

I prefer to just call them "flakes"

bambinod said:
I prefer to just call them "flakes"

Careful, there's a fine line from being environmentally resonsible to being called an environmental (snow) flake.

propose a tax on every bag. that's what they want to do here.

In California, we voted on the plastic bag issue one day, and we lost.... AMAZINGLY, the VERY NEXT DAY all the stores had 10 cent bags, and no thin bags. What does that tell YOU? It's is a scam! And, don't believe the bull crap artists that start quoting numbers, because they just make up numbers to justify their claims. Damn near every thin plastic bag that ever reached our home served a dual purpose by being converted into a garbage pail bag, or a diaper wrap bag. Don't believe all the bull crap you hear, unless you want to be led around by the nose, through your nose ring, by a bunch of snowflakes that have nothing better to contribute to society than being social justice warriors, and poor attempts at human beings. I recycle/repurpose just about every damn thing in my possession, and I never needed anyone to force me to do it. Just give me the damn separate trash cans, and I'll do my own sorting, and put them at the curb, for pickup.

Funny thing is, decades ago they had us all sorting & bundling used newspapers, for recycling, and then THEY put them all in the GD landfill, because THEY weren't capable of recycling them fast enough!

I agree, we should just be able to fold the pulp into the soil, and get the benefits of water absorption, if there are any. The pulp makes a great fire retardant, as well. At one time, I considered following the Japanese example of making a business converting used baby & elderly diapers, and fem products, into burnable pellets, but my wife wouldn't even consider it. In Florida, there's plenty of eldercare facilities that would've provided the used diapers for free...

Anyway, as an addendum, I started buying plastic 4-gallon scented bags, for diaper disposal, (as a trucker, and for on the road disposal), and got 75 roll bags for about $2-$3... Just searched the net, to reorder, and found them about 2x to 3x the cost, so, yeah, there's money to be made, by limiting people's choices, and if a person doesn't believe that, it probably also dictates the way that person votes, I'm guessing.

MAGA, and give me back my GD trash bags!

To get rid of plastic grocery bags is bull crap, and to put a tax on them is stupid too, just like the soda tax.

Also while used diaper pulp may be good for the environment, I couldn't do that.

I also reuse my plastic grocery bags for garbage bags. I'm too poor to buy extra bags and a grocery bag full of soaked diapers is heavy enough already, I don't want to struggle with heavier bags of used diapers.

And I also reuse and recycle as much of everything else as I can (being a worthless, disabled, homeless person, I really have to). But I refuse to recycle paper products. It's more wasteful to recycle paper products then to make new ones and our forests have become far too overgrown since we've been putting out the yearly fires and not harvesting enough of that very abundant renewable resource (which leaves more fuel for the extremely polluting forest fires every year).

I use those little bags you get at a supermarket you put your fruit and veg in. I always make sure I take a nice decent amount to see me through the week. They are free to take and dont seem to be phased out in the plastic bag thing and I dont think they will ever take them away? I have tried "large" nappy sacks but could never find any of a decent size to put my used nappies in.

Proud snowflake checking in here. These bag bans are primarily about reducing the litter that results when these bags are carelessly disposed of, and not as much about reducing the use of plastic (though it is a positive side-effect). Yes, most people are responsible about their bag usage (we save ours and use them for all sorts of things, and then recycle the ones we don't end up using) but when people get careless with the empty bags they tend to linger in the environment for a very long time, like most plastics.

The profit margins on plastic bags (bin liners and such) is typically minuscule, and I suspect most retailers would prefer to cater to the convenience of their customers by continuing to offer the plastic disposable shopping bags. It doesn't really make sense for retailers to get excited about these bans. The fact is, due to the carelessness of some, it becomes necessary to ban the bags outright in order to prevent them from becoming yet another form of non-biodegradeable litter.

Finally, I'm sure I'm not the only one in this community that would appreciate it if we could keep the cynicism and snowflake-slander in check. Thanks. :D

Moonwicky, thanks for your positing, I am in agreement with you. Many retailers confirmed this position here in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back