Study says 40% sleep with a bear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's cool!

and I thought we and the special needs people were only ones.

Oddly, I'm not sure I believe the survey. Actually, many people know I have a bear thing (certainly far more than know about my diapers). I've had other friends who were bear collectors, but interestingly enough, they didn't sleep with them.

That does seem high to me. I couldn't find a link to any details about how the conducted the survey, but there may be some selection bias in there depending on where and how they found the participants. On top of that, we don't know what exactly they asked, and there's a big difference between "do you regularly sleep with a teddy bear" and "have you, at any time since adulthood, had a teddy bear in bed with you"

I quoted this statistic to my brother when we were camping one night, and I brought my plushie along. It is a nice one to quote when people say: "aren't you a little bit old to be sleeping with that?" Most are surprised when I tell them that almost half of the population does! :laugh:

willnotwill said:
Oddly, I'm not sure I believe the survey.

I think it odd that anyone would believe a survey like that! Of course Build-A-Bear want a few lines of media coverage that give the impression that it's "normal" to buy what they're selling.

Fake news! :p

I sleep with a plushie but it is a Unicorn not a bear.

I'm a bit inclined to believe their study is over inflated as well. However, conside that even if the real numbers were just half of what they came up with, then we would still have 1 in 5 adults sleeping with a plushie. Still quite a LOT more common than most would think of.

Slomo said:
I'm a bit inclined to believe their study is over inflated as well. However, conside that even if the real numbers were just half of what they came up with, then we would still have 1 in 5 adults sleeping with a plushie. Still quite a LOT more common than most would think of.

I think you are absolutely correct. They must have surveyed ABDL for this survey because 40% is way too high. I would think it is more like less than 10% of adults sleep with a plushie.

Just try something similar about pacis... :D :D :D

PrincessTori said:
I think you are absolutely correct. They must have surveyed ABDL for this survey because 40% is way too high.

I presume they surveyed people who were in the process of buying a teddy bear at the tills of their shops.

And I'm guessing that adults buying a teddy bear are statistically more likely that average to sleep with a teddy bear (or to say they do).

tiny said:
I presume they surveyed people who were in the process of buying a teddy bear at the tills of their shops.

And I'm guessing that adults buying a teddy bear are statistically more likely that average to sleep with a teddy bear (or to say they do).

And I presume they held the survey just outside their stores and in the malls. This way they would get a wide base of people that would be a statistical average of everyone.

Slomo said:
And I presume they held the survey just outside their stores and in the malls. This way they would get a wide base of people that would be a statistical average of everyone.

So you actually believe the 40% figure?! Incredible! I doubt 40% of ABDLs sleep with a teddy!

Anyway, you wouldn't get anything close to a representative cross-section of the population by exclusively polling people only in areas close to one chain of shops.

tiny said:
So you actually believe the 40% figure?! Incredible! I doubt 40% of ABDLs sleep with a teddy!

Anyway, you wouldn't get anything close to a representative cross-section of the population by exclusively polling people only in areas close to one chain of shops.

Well if you read my earlier post then you'd already know I don't. I'd guess they most likely asked the survey questions in such a way as to skew the numbers in favor of looking like more. I'd believe maybe half that number, but that's still a lot of people.

And that's why I said at the mall, which is where a vast majority of build a bear shops are anyways. You know, with all kinds of shops, restaurants, and theatres near by. A pretty good place for a true cross sample of people of anywhere really.

Slomo said:
And that's why I said at the mall, which is where a vast majority of build a bear shops are anyways. You know, with all kinds of shops, restaurants, and theatres near by. A pretty good place for a true cross sample of people of anywhere really.

I am not sure a mall is as great of a cross sample of society as in years past.

well mabey we could do our own poll.
I sleep with a plushie.

The US population is 323 Million. 40% of that figures comes to just under 130 million. An estimated 111 million people watched last season's Super Bowl. So more folks in America sleep with a teddy bear than watch the Super Bowl? Yeah, right...

Illinoise said:
I am not sure a mall is as great of a cross sample of society as in years past.

Exactly. And Build-A-Bear shops are presumably built in areas where income is relatively high and there are lots of young children.

Conducting flawed surveys and reporting them to newswires is a common trick companies use to generate "fake news" coverage.

I imagine many wives are including their husband for this poll to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back