ADISC, Incontinence, and support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Support? From ADISC? Of course, after all ADISC means 'Adult Diaper Incontinence Support Community'. And I for one am very thankful for all the support ADISC gives me, whether in diapers types available, their performance, reliability, and incontinence concerns and how it is dealt with by others.

I am mildly urinary incontinent, am over 75, and my doctor told me it can most likely be helped or cured with medication, and/or surgery. I really don't want to add another medication to a list of over 10 prescribed meds that are doing what they were prescribed for, nor do I desire surgery. We both agree with those decisions, and for the same reasons. His suggestion was to wear some type of protection, especially when I am away from the house. My product of choice when out of the home is Always Discreet briefs, even though i am male because they work much better than Depends or other similar product, and for night, Northshore Supreme. So much for support from my doctor, whom I will see if my condition worsens - which he stated very emphatically to me. So really, I am getting excellent support from my doctor.

Support from ADISC? For sure, and lots of it, for which I am very thankful. My support from ADISC is just logging in every day and reading the current posts in 'Diaper Talk' and 'Incontinence'. I get much encouragement just keeping up with each of you and how you are coping with your own problem (s) and the resulting replies and support you get in your posts. So yes, this is a 'Support Community', and each of you are being supported in the same way I am - from the rest of the community.

THANKS TO ALL THE COMMUNITY, AND A HUGE TIP OF THE TOP HAT TO EACH OF YOU AND ADISC!

Hi, blondiewoof,

There have been all sorts of discussions in various places around this site about whether we are supportive enough; it's good to hear from someone who feels so emphatically that we are. This is precisely one of the reasons I lobbied for the separation of "Incontinence" into its own top level forum: so that those of us who happen to be incontinent can more easily find the kind of support we need.

BTW: Looking at your signature and your avatar, I am assuming that you are trans. 76 is not too late for transition, you know...

I'm always glad to hear from someone who has benefited from the advice we all give. Even if it can be "mixed" at times. At least we know we're all here for a reason, and replies like your's are always welcome. Glad we were able to help.

And if the Always pullups turn out to be just barely not enough protection, I'd recommend the Northsore pullups as your next step up. Tabbed diapers after that (maybe tranquality atn)

Like I said in another post, ADISC is so much more than just diapers. All one has to do is scratch the surface and dig a little deeper. Thanks for expressing your feelings, blondiewoof.

Lots of great minds and personality here ,diapers we have in common regardless of physical or mental need , there is great advice an experience from everybody here ,it's hard to find a more intresting and diverse group of people than here .you come for the diapers & stay for the people.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Hey, stay well there! What's the best thing about ADISC - at least for me, that it is an community of people who have similar problems and they manage to cope with them. To be honest, it was the thing that had the biggest impact on me when I have registered here. I saw a lot of people struggling with incontinence just like me and many more with much more terrifying issues than just urinating into a diaper. What helped me to remain calm and keep living my life just like I wanted to, not paying too much of necessary attention to incontinence was seeing how many people are actually doing really great here and not worrying about this anymore, just living their lives like we are all supposed to. I hope you will feel the same and you will find the support that you need here.

blondiewoof said:
Support? From ADISC? Of course, after all ADISC means 'Adult Diaper Incontinence Support Community'. And I for one am very thankful for all the support ADISC gives me, whether in diapers types available, their performance, reliability, and incontinence concerns and how it is dealt with by others.

I am mildly urinary incontinent, am over 75, and my doctor told me it can most likely be helped or cured with medication, and/or surgery. I really don't want to add another medication to a list of over 10 prescribed meds that are doing what they were prescribed for, nor do I desire surgery. We both agree with those decisions, and for the same reasons. His suggestion was to wear some type of protection, especially when I am away from the house. My product of choice when out of the home is Always Discreet briefs, even though i am male because they work much better than Depends or other similar product, and for night, Northshore Supreme. So much for support from my doctor, whom I will see if my condition worsens - which he stated very emphatically to me. So really, I am getting excellent support from my doctor.

Support from ADISC? For sure, and lots of it, for which I am very thankful. My support from ADISC is just logging in every day and reading the current posts in 'Diaper Talk' and 'Incontinence'. I get much encouragement just keeping up with each of you and how you are coping with your own problem (s) and the resulting replies and support you get in your posts. So yes, this is a 'Support Community', and each of you are being supported in the same way I am - from the rest of the community.

THANKS TO ALL THE COMMUNITY, AND A HUGE TIP OF THE TOP HAT TO EACH OF YOU AND ADISC!

Incontinence is not a condition, rather it is a symptom of a condition. Go see your doctor.

The sad fact of IC medication 64 out every 100 people can not tolerate the side effects.
Surgery is a fool's game, so many people are tricked into having surgery , surgery is the most invasive usually destructive form of helping and should be a last resort , surgeons make fantastic money for surgery as does everyone involved, without ever covering the downsides adequately in the odds they give you , I have met maybe 2 people in my life who had back surgery that did not end in greater pain and impairment, and no it's not a perfect world, but if surgeons don't "sell" surgery they don't make money so overstating the odds of success is just part of the job.
Before you sign up for surgery look into the procedure and the actual odds of the procedure having helped people who had it done ?
It pays to be cautious with your body ,its only original once,much like a classic car survivor that are all original and loved by there owners are worth more than any "restored" vehicle. So know what you are really dealing with when it comes to surgery , in some cases yes it's life saving and neccasary but for a majority of things it's a Pandoras box that you dont wanna open.

Thank you for such a lovely post. I too am humbled daily by the support everyone shows each other. I am on other forums where bitching and sniping are the norm. I know we have heated debates at times here, but overall we are all very tolerant.

Tetra said:
The sad fact of IC medication 64 out every 100 people can not tolerate the side effects.

I totally agree about the support element of this community - and this post is a perfect example - it made me realise that I am like 65% of the incontinent population rather than the odd one out - I have worked through every med the GP threw at me with either side effects or no effect - and he is still resisting allowing me protection on the NHS

Thanks everyone for sharing what you do - it can often be the odd comment that makes me feel normal x

Essexboi said:
I totally agree about the support element of this community - and this post is a perfect example - it made me realise that I am like 65% of the incontinent population rather than the odd one out - I have worked through every med the GP threw at me with either side effects or no effect - and he is still resisting allowing me protection on the NHS

Thanks everyone for sharing what you do - it can often be the odd comment that makes me feel normal x
Best thing is to find an older urologist ,the younger guys are into drugs and surgery if they can't fix the problem with those they take it personally "That modern medicine failed to give them what they needed" they dont ever look at from the side of the patient who may not be utterly thrilled with pads and diapers but it gives them there life back , the adjustment period is very short with most of us , the process is like shamefully try them ,get your life back and all of sudden the shame dissolves when you get a normal life back, I realize you fight your way thru the GP the NHS and the continence service to get there ,the struggle is worth it my friend ,maybe a frontal assault would get quicker results at your next appointment breakout some nappies and tell him what's wrong with these ? Why are you not giving me every option ,isn't consulting a Dr. to help me make an informed decision on my health, so why are you only telling me about some of the options .

Tetra said:
Best thing is to find an older urologist ,the younger guys are into drugs and surgery if they can't fix the problem with those they take it personally "That modern medicine failed to give them what they needed" they dont ever look at from the side of the patient who may not be utterly thrilled with pads and diapers but it gives them there life back , the adjustment period is very short with most of us , the process is like shamefully try them ,get your life back and all of sudden the shame dissolves when you get a normal life back, I realize you fight your way thru the GP the NHS and the continence service to get there ,the struggle is worth it my friend ,maybe a frontal assault would get quicker results at your next appointment breakout some nappies and tell him what's wrong with these ? Why are you not giving me every option ,isn't consulting a Dr. to help me make an informed decision on my health, so why are you only telling me about some of the options .

Many thanks - I will try to be more forceful next time - and if that fails I will slap him round the face with a wet diaper ��

Essexboi said:

If you are struggling to get pads as they insist on calling them from the NHS continence service get your doctor a nurse practitioner to refer you to the NHS Continence service. They will asses you and if you are genuinely incontinent you will get a supply of pads or slips and antiseptic cream. I get two pads per day which really does help with the cost. My Doctor never mentioned how I was going to manage my incurable incontinence. It was mmy diabetic nurse that said I should see the continence nurse.

ST50 said:
If you are struggling to get pads as they insist on calling them from the NHS continence service get your doctor a nurse practitioner to refer you to the NHS Continence service. They will asses you and if you are genuinely incontinent you will get a supply of pads or slips and antiseptic cream. I get two pads per day which really does help with the cost. My Doctor never mentioned how I was going to manage my incurable incontinence. It was mmy diabetic nurse that said I should see the continence nurse.

This raises a good point, which I've already been through. You MUST call them diapers- which is what they are. And you MUST get your doctor to say it back to you too. Even if you and your doctor really know what you're talking about, your insurance adjusters and/or distributor probably wont. Call them pads, and you are likely to get actual pads.

Slomo said:
This raises a good point, which I've already been through. You MUST call them diapers- which is what they are. And you MUST get your doctor to say it back to you too. Even if you and your doctor really know what you're talking about, your insurance adjusters and/or distributor probably wont. Call them pads, and you are likely to get actual pads.

In the UK the medical profession refuse to call them Nappies or Diapers as you call them in the U.S. Adult nappies are called slips and the large pads which are just like nappies without tapes are called just that "Pads" I get tena comfort extra shaped pads for my daytime incontinence which are held in place with net fixing pants. I get tena maxi slips for my nightly enuresis (bedwetting)

ST50 said:
In the UK the medical profession refuse to call them Nappies or Diapers as you call them in the U.S. Adult nappies are called slips and the large pads which are just like nappies without tapes are called just that "Pads" I get tena comfort extra shaped pads for my daytime incontinence which are held in place with net fixing pants. I get tena maxi slips for my nightly enuresis (bedwetting)

I bet that leads to a lot of confusion. What if someone really does only want a pad (like for minor dribbling). Do they just go with the reusable cloth nappy anyways....

Slomo said:
I bet that leads to a lot of confusion. What if someone really does only want a pad (like for minor dribbling). Do they just go with the reusable cloth nappy anyways....
dribbling you just ask for post it notes!

Tetra said:
dribbling you just ask for post it notes!

Lol, good one. Because a full note pad would be too big.

Slomo said:

The NHS Continence servie in our area use tena products. When I was first assessed for pads. I was given several different comfort extra ones to try. They started me on the plus ones which were not thick enough and we settled on the extra ones for day time use and soon found these no good for night time. At first they had me use the tena maxi large shaped pads but now they supply slips. ( adult nappies with tapes ) for night time use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back