Thread: Is there any advantage to

Default Is there any advantage to

putting my operating system ( Windows Vista x64 Home Premium ) onto an SSD and running all my apps off of SATA drives? I have a few 40gb SSDs lying around from an upgrade I did for someone..

I play way to many games just to suffice with 120gb... so that won't work for me.. but hell If I put those suckers in a RAID0... *splooges on monitor*

But I got to thinking and.. some rather perplexing application management issues that I have not thought of.. like, program files and all that jazz.. Its not healthy to separate program files and the applications because of seek times on the SATA Drives compared to the SSDs which are almost instantaneous... !

SPECS:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
    8GB PC6400 800MHZ RAM
    2x 500GB Seagate SATA 7.2k Drives in RAID0
    EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT 1024 MB
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

Solid State Drives aren't worth it I think. I never really heard it improving speeds for regular stuff like computer gaming. But MM3 knows more then I do, so wait for his advice. :P

The biggest improvement for SSD is no moving parts and less heat generated. They are fast, but I've seen some HDD that are faster for less cash. Really depends on the SSD, like everything else you get what you pay for.

Kevin

Hmmm... But I already have the SSDs lying around. But on this, should I just sell them on Craigslist or something?

I'm not used to SSD technology, but have worked on a few computers with them, and know they interface the same as SATA drives..

I didn't see the part where you already have some. Anyways try it out and see if you notice any different while playing video games and other normal stuff you do.

If you do keep them in, if not sell them.

I would install two of them. One for the OS and one for a paging/swap file. Then use the sata hard disks as storage and get in the habit of never installing anything other than critical OS updates on the SSD.

My next build I'll have at least 4-5 of the bigger SSDs so I can see how they work then =).

Depends on the SSD brand.. or better, the chips on it (MLC or SLC)
    If you look up the make & model on Google, you can see the speed performance of the SSD's you've got. They go up to 250MB/sec read and 170MB/sec write, probably even higher already. Cheaper ones are much slower, so yea you get what you pay for..

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    putting my operating system ( Windows Vista x64 Home Premium ) onto an SSD and running all my apps off of SATA drives? I have a few 40gb SSDs lying around from an upgrade I did for someone..

I play way to many games just to suffice with 120gb... so that won't work for me.. but hell If I put those suckers in a RAID0... *splooges on monitor*

But I got to thinking and.. some rather perplexing application management issues that I have not thought of.. like, program files and all that jazz.. Its not healthy to separate program files and the applications because of seek times on the SATA Drives compared to the SSDs which are almost instantaneous... !

SPECS:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ
    8GB PC6400 800MHZ RAM
    2x 500GB Seagate SATA 7.2k Drives in RAID0
    EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT 1024 MB
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
    Okay, so I work in IT for a software company, my coworkers and I constantly are building our "what if we could" systems... Check out Fusion-io :: Home Set an SSD to boot your OS, then one of those bad boys. For people who don't want to click on the link, it's a SSD that connects directly into the PCIe bus.

I put these into a computer with a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, 2GB RAM, Windows Vista and a 9600GT...

I was able to max out Crysis at 1680x1050...
    WTF!.. I thought the game depended on graphics... and this is just plain stupid. I mean this is CRYSIS!!!