Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "It" - New Stephen King movie, and other horror movies.

Not much of Florida is too scarred of the IT movie right now. All of our drains are flooded with water. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudPaddedBro View Post
    Went to go see it Friday night. Superb, the acting was excellent, the story is pretty faithful to King's novel, and it wraps up nicely while getting you prepared from the next chapter. Of course there were the tired troupes that every horror movie succumbs to, but overall it's a certain must see if you're a horror fan. Someone mentioned that they don't have the stomach to see the child sex scene. SPOILER ALERT - They took it out of the movie but it's certainly alluded to. Nice touch by the director. Probably had to remove it to avoid an NC-17 rating.
    Glad to hear it. I'm going to go and see it by myself on Friday. Nobody wants to see it with me. :-( But otherwise, I'm really looking forward to it!

I imagine the everybody-has-sex-with-Beverly bit was among the first to be ruled out for the movie script. It was one of those things that worked just fine in writing but would have been in really poor taste if movie-ized.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is going to see "It." The movie opens today and it's based on Stephen King's novel of the same name. The movie is about evil incarnate disguised as a clown and can adapt it's form to whatever a person fears the most (that's my understanding). It comes to a small town and terrorizes a group of marginalized kids known as 'the Losers.'.

Trailer https://youtu.be/FnCdOQsX5kc

My friend wants me to see this movie with her next week. The problem is that I'M A TOTAL COWARD when it comes to seeing horror movies. I couldn't sleep for a week after seeing The Exorcist because I thought my bed was going to start shaking.

On the other hand, the plot to "It" actually sounds intriguing and I'm not one of those people who has ever had a fear of clowns. I think I'm going to screw up my courage and go see it (besides, it's better than admitting my cowardice to my friend).

So, this thread is for talking about "It" but, just to expand it a bit, you can also talk about any horror movie that scared the sh*t out of you.

Like I said, The Exorcist terrified me, and afterwards The Omen was pretty scary as well. After that, I just gave up on going to horror movies because I was losing months of sleep over them.

So what are your picks?
    I haven't seen the new "It" yet but your reaction to horror movies strikes me as insanely cute. ^^; I have a strong reaction to blood & gore, but not horror per se. I've loved it since I was a kid and I've read almost everything from Stephen King. And I've been looking forward to the remake of "It". The original is a tough act to follow, though.

Other favorites include:
    Phantasm
    Silver Bullet
    It Follows
    Pontypool

... and many more. ^^; They never scared me even as a kid, but I'm a wus with gore like I said, so anything with a lot of THAT could send me running. ^^;

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
    "It is one of my favorite Stephen King books. The book itself was a page turner. There was a TV movie several years ago which captured the essence of the book. I want to see the new movie but since I'm still in recovery mode, it might be a couple of weeks. That said:

****************************Please do not spoil the plots of It or any movie without giving fair warning to those of us that haven't seen the movies!****************

I found The Grudge to be one of the scariest movies I've seen in recent times. If you want a funny scary movie, see Amigo Undead and Chillerama.

As for the Exorcist, I always liked the scene where Regan peed on the carpet. I don't know why.
    "It Follows" is the only recent movie that I know scared the hell out of a friend of mine. ^^;; For a more old-school perspective on funny-scary, though, nothing tops Creepshow. ^^ Stephen King himself plays a lead role!

I initially had no intention on seeing the new It remake as I not only really don't like the vast majority of all these Hollywood remakes (Didn't like the Nightmare on Elm St remake, didn't like the Cinderella remake, didn't like Jurassic World, didn't like the Ghostbusters remake, didn't like the Beauty and the Beast remake), but I wasn't a big fan of the original It. OK, I liked it. I enjoyed seeing it. But I wasn't scared by it. AT ALL! Seriously, the original is not the least bit frightening. So I highly doubt this remake is going to be frightening. OK. The new Pennywise design is a little creepier, but that's honestly not that hard. Tim Curry is not scary. Maybe it would've been scarier if I read the book first.

But every review of it seems to be positive. People really seem to like it. Granted, that doesn't mean it's going to be good, but I'd probably be willing to give it a chance sometime when it you can get the DVD of it from Netflix and all the crazy hype for it has died down. I imagine I won't be a fan of it, but occasionally, you get reboots that I like (I do enjoy the new Star Wars films).

I can't really think of any horror films that have scared the shit out of me. I've been weirded out by a couple (Eraserhead), but all the classics, Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm St, Friday the 13th, none of those scared me. I liked them, but they never scared me. The closest anything's ever come to scaring me are some of those horror narration stories on Youtube where they read horror "supposedly true" stories (that are almost certainly fake 99% of the time).

The other day I noticed Suspiria was included on Amazon Prime so I gave it a watch. I'd seen it two times previously over the decades and didn't care for it as a teenager and appreciated it slightly more a few years back when I saw it again. But third time was the charm and I get it now. The overly stylized music, color, and sets are all reminiscent to a gothic gory stage production like the Grand Guinol theater in Paris.
    I've always liked Dario Argento flicks but I never understood the love for Suspiria. Now I do and I've learned they've been filming a remake with Tilda Swinton as Madam Blanc (one of the main villains). Should be cool.

I want to see It as well but i don't get to the movie theater much. I also want to see The Dark Tower but i'm not sure it's playing anywhere anymore.

Another move that I want to see/get on Blu-ray is Phantasm: RaVager. I have yet to see the conclusion to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedDeist View Post
    I want to see It as well but i don't get to the movie theater much. I also want to see The Dark Tower but i'm not sure it's playing anywhere anymore.

Another move that I want to see/get on Blu-ray is Phantasm: RaVager. I have yet to see the conclusion to the series.
    My wife bought it for me for Christmas. It's a touching final tribute to Angus Scrimm but it was hard to follow. Pretty crazy film.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddedDeist View Post

May I suggest the Kodi program for the PC. Add covenant to that, and you'll be able to live stream tv/movies for free. All of them will be from outside the US where it's legal to distribute them though. And by streaming only here, that's legal too.

Saw "It" this afternoon. I give it a 3/4. It was enjoyable. I didn't find it scary, though. Perhaps it was a bit too predictable in the timing of its scary moments, or perhaps, because I'd read the book, seen the TV series, and seen all the movie trailers, I was able to anticipate things too well. Whatever. I'll still be looking forward to Part 2. There weren't really any major things about the movie that disagreed with me, but it loses a point anyway for a bunch of smaller failings, such as:
    But I'd still see the movie again.

But I'll probably read the book again too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    May I suggest the Kodi program for the PC. Add covenant to that, and you'll be able to live stream tv/movies for free. All of them will be from outside the US where it's legal to distribute them though. And by streaming only here, that's legal too.
    Uh...no. Streaming a US-made movie from a country that doesn't abide by US or international copyright law back into the US doesn't make it legal. Sorry, but that's just not true. One might as well claim that counterfeit US currency, if made in just the right foreign country, is legal to bring back and use here. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is: If you're obtaining fresh, copyrighted material without paying for it, you're probably stealing. I'm pretty sure that holds true in this case.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 3 Days Ago at 05:26.

Just saw the new movie IT. I really enjoyed the film. They updated the gore and jump scares from the original, but stayed true to what made IT a great scary movie. The kid actors were all outstanding. They had real chemistry together and were fun to watch. The special effects were all around pretty solid also. It was a smart move dividing the film's into two parts, letting the kids roles and their interactions with It really shine. I did miss Tim Curry's voice though lol. A 8.5 out of 10.