Not open for further replies.

WildBlueCrinkle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Incontinent
Meh. I try Tykables, like them, and they're out of stock for months. I try BetterDry, like them, and when I go to order more ComfyCare is almost sold out of size large, aren't selling them by the case (the only way it makes economic sense), and they don't know when they'll get more in.

How are businesses run this way?! I get that premium adult diapers aren't an essential staple for many (especially in the ABDL space), but, e.g. BetterDry, should be treated like incontinence supplies, no? And how could someone using these products to manage IC ever rely on them, with supplies / suppliers this flaky?

/rant

Wildbluecrinkle just wondering what country your in as I had somewhat similar experience a couple of months back. I don't want to name supplier as they were polite prompt and apologetic which I appreciate but nearly everything I ordered was not available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all because of what's called "just in time" stocking. Grocery stores started it, and other business are following suit. Basically it's a model of never having too much in stock. The business only orders what they expect to sell near immediately. Then they repeat that with another small order only when needed.

This reduces their overhead costs, as well as not needing so much storage space (which means smaller buildings, not as much hvac conditioning, etc). It saves them money, so they have better profits.

The problem with this though is if there are any delays in getting an order they will be out of stock. It's also difficult to predict how much will be needed, so if extra people buy up what they have then they will run out before a new order will arrive. And this happens a lot.

Basically they are screwing the customer (or at least risking it) in order to make more money. That's why.

WildBlueCrinkle said:
Meh. I try Tykables, like them, and they're out of stock for months. I try BetterDry, like them, and when I go to order more ComfyCare is almost sold out of size large, aren't selling them by the case (the only way it makes economic sense), and they don't know when they'll get more in.

How are businesses run this way?! I get that premium adult diapers aren't an essential staple for many (especially in the ABDL space), but, e.g. BetterDry, should be treated like incontinence supplies, no? And how could someone using these products to manage IC ever rely on them, with supplies / suppliers this flaky?

/rant

The problem with ComfyCare is that it's just a hobby business run out of someone's house, combined with Thrust Vector playing a lot of messed up games with pricing.

ComfyCare, if you search the address is just a house in Baltimore. I've ordered a total of 6 cases of BetterDry from them and can say the people are awesome. BUT, they aren't a major operation like XP Medical. They told me directly that every time the order a container from Thrust Vector, the price changes and the last time after ComfyCare took deliver of their container, Thrust Vector demanded more money from them than what they had agreed upon and already paid.

I'm really really hoping Northshore will become a US distributor of BetterDry. I would buy cases upon cases.

This is something I was afraid of when I first found Better Dry. They're the ONLY acceptable nighttime diaper for me now. I really need them and as my daytime issues get worse and worse I'm considering replacing my lighter diapers with these and going BetterDry 24/7. I really really need a reliable source.

The next time ComfyCare has them, I guess I'll buy a year's supply. Not that I want buy 20+ cases of diapers at once but maybe I'll have to.

Worst part is that you can't even blame them, atleast I don't. I would use the same business model, not only to make money, but to reduce risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, grocery stores do it because really fresh food sells better, and rotten food has to be thrown away. So they have a huge incentive to make sure they don't have certain kinds of "inventory" sitting around too long - produce, dairy, and bakery in particular. With most other things it usually comes down to a different issue, cash flow. Smaller businesses don't have a lot of spare cash, and when your product (ABDL diapers) takes 3-5 weeks to come by boat, plus the week or so of manufacture time since they don't keep your product in stock, that means you're without that cash for over a month. Then after you receive it you spend the next 2-12 weeks selling off that inventory, depending on demand, which can be difficult to predict.

At some point you have enough cash and can place another order, but that means you have to wait until most of your existing inventory is sold before you can reorder. So every time you hit this point in the order cycle, it's a bit of a crunch - inventory is getting low and cash is almost enough to place another order but you have to hold off. Then you finally have the cash and BAM order placed and now you have NO cash, very low inventory, and an agonizing wait for them to make and ship it. If there's a run at this point you're completely helpless - you couldn't have placed the reorder earlier and can't sell product you don't have. (without preorder anyway) This is a much bigger issue when you're trying to increase your stock on hand or adding a new product line because you're suddenly having to lock up some more of your cash flow in inventory. This is why companies will go with "preorders", because they simply don't have enough cash flow to pull it off otherwise. The money you send them in the preorder is helping them to place their order. You might be stubborn and say "I refuse to preorder!" Well, you're just being stubborn, while they simply have no choice. They can't place their order until they have the money to do so, and it's just not going to happen until they get enough preorders to be able to make their order. Being stubborn about it won't "force them to change their ways", they're doing it the only way they can.

You might think this problem would go away after a few months or a year in business, as you make a profit and your cash flow improves, but to survive in the long-term you have to re-invest that money in the business. Look at ABU's new warehouse, or Tykables new line of clothing. Money that could be held onto to improve cash flow gets re-invested into the business to make it more competitive. We've seen all of the big players have this issue - rearz, abu, bambino, tykables, etc. That, and the 5-8 week turnaround time on diapers is a huge factor here that a lot of small businesses don't have to deal with. If you're an electronics retailer, you can place an order with Engram Micro and have your restock here in 3-5 days. Grocers get produce overnight and dry goods in 1-2 days. But even big businesses struggle with this problem. They keep their "liquid cash" as small as possible because their main reserves are locked up in investments, making interest. They only pull money out of their investments when they need to spend a chunk of it on something like a warehouse. The bean counters look at products on the shelf as a loss because that money could be growing in the investment, and if you're a big business that loss scales up fast.

"Finance is so weird!"
- Ultron

This is why I buy so many cases ahead. It's an unfortunate reality when you're 24/7 that suppliers just run out sometimes for months in this space. I have around 500 diapers on-hand at the moment. It's a lot, but then they don't really expire :)

goten said:
This is why I buy so many cases ahead. It's an unfortunate reality when you're 24/7 that suppliers just run out sometimes for months in this space. I have around 500 diapers on-hand at the moment. It's a lot, but then they don't really expire :)
I do the same, being diaper dependent 24/7 means I cannot afford not having diapers on hand. When im down do a certain level, my safety stock I call it, I replenish inventory aka diapers. My safety stock shall at least cover 3 months. As a matter of fact I discovered I still have three bags of the original comficare diapers, those which was replaced by betterdry diapers.

Sendt fra min BTV-W09 med Tapatalk

Comfy care appears to have loose bags and half cases with buy buttons. I have emailed them to see if they can just bundle 4 bags as a case order. I would do that if I ran the company. But maybe they are down to less then 4 bags?
It is a shame though because I really like these. A Truly trustworthy diaper.

Well, this is the case indeed with smaller companies that became quite popular. I've ordered from ComfyCare and I have also had the same issues with them as you did, I basically had to plan when and how many diapers I will buy, even though they were of good quality and decent price-wise, I stopped using them because it became quite annoying to do not get products as I want whenever I want them. I chose hexa & co, they are also small company that isn't popular yet and I could put them a notch higher than ComfyCare so as long as they get really popular and they may pretty soon, then I think I'm set for now and don't have to schedule ordering my products like I did before. Another option is also getting back to the biggest companies, but as their quality has highly dropped in comparison to for example 5-7 years ago, I won't be going back on this road as well.

Slomo said:
It's all because of what's called "just in time" stocking.

No. I know what JIT is. I've run businesses that used it. This isn't that. JIT doesn't cause months-long out-of-stock situations. These diaper sellers buy by the shipping container from Europe or China, sell the stock they have on hand, and then (evidently) don't have procedures (resources?) in place to trigger replenishment orders in a timely fashion. I don't know what kind of lead time the remote suppliers need to generate stock and get it on the vessel, but a properly run business shouldn't have gaping holes in product availability, that last a week, let alone months!

Oh yeah it makes complete sense with grocers, hands down. The problem with JIT stocking on diapers IS their lead time. Some of these sellers wait till they are almost completely out (and have enough cash on hand to order), before they place their order. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if diapers had lead times like food does, but when coming from China in big batches that time can be months on end. WildBlueCrinkle you're right, trying to apply this same model for shipping is inexcusable with diapers, but companies are still trying it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back