Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never been this scared in all my life.

Default Never been this scared in all my life.

This damn Hurricane has me damn scared. I live a bit outside Tampa and recent tracks have it go straight up middle of the state with it probably making Landfall as a Cat 5.

I feel I can vomit as I am so nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddedbossman View Post
    This damn Hurricane has me damn scared. I live a bit outside Tampa and recent tracks have it go straight up middle of the state with it probably making Landfall as a Cat 5.

I feel I can vomit as I am so nervous.
    What evacuation plans might you have? Are there any advisories for your area?

I'd be scared too... the only thing I can think of, is to be as calm and rational and... get solid information...

The last updates I saw was that any potential landfall - was anticipated for Saturday yet, they hadn't figured out the tracking beyond East, West or, up the middle...

Hope for the best and plan for the worst...

Do you have anyone to call?

-Marka

i still can't understand why americans build their houses out of thin wood and cardboard when they know a house destroying hurricane hits them every few years. the only thing left of the house after a hurricane is always the chimeny, which is made out of bricks. so why not build the whole house out of bricks and have it survive the hurricane?

I wish I could do something to help with your fear and make it all go away. Stay on top of the advisories so that you know exactly what is happening. You can't control the weather so try and focus on controlling your anxiety as much as possible. Remember that everyone in your community is feeling the same way and that you are all in this together. Times of crisis can bring people closer together so don't be afraid to seek comfort from your neighbours and help each other out. Listen to whatever recommendations and advice the emergency teams are providing, and make sure you know what emergency provisions, such as shelters, are available, in the event that you need to evacuate. Also, remember that all the relevant government services are in a state of emergency planning for this to help residents get through it.

My hope is that you remain safe and healthy. Our thoughts are with you.

MassIncon

Anyone in the path who doesn't evacuate is crazy.

Hopefully the tracks are not accurate and it just skirts the coast and heads out to sea but that looks unlikely.

I fully understand a desire to stay but all that does is put rescue workers in harm's way and make the ground efforts afterwards so much more complicated...Seriously, GET OUT while you still can!

Have you ever been in a hurricane before? I assure you they are quite survivable as long as you don't be stupid about it. If you live in a flood zone then you should evacuate. (Not doing this is what killed those people in Texas).

You'll probably loose power, but that won't kill you either. Just fill a bunch of containers up with water and stick them in your freezer. If/when power goes out put a few of them in your refrigerator. (And when they melt you'll have drinking water too).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
    i still can't understand why americans build their houses out of thin wood and cardboard when they know a house destroying hurricane hits them every few years. the only thing left of the house after a hurricane is always the chimeny, which is made out of bricks. so why not build the whole house out of bricks and have it survive the hurricane?
    You and me both. I live in Florida and my house is brick and block. When I needed new windows I made sure they were hurricane windows, and when I needed to reroof I made sure it was metal too. I also made sure my house wasn't isn't in a flood zone before buying it too. Pretty basic stuff that makes me wonder why others don't make the same considerations too.

You know it's not IF a major hurricane will hit here, but WHEN. Why then do people not plan for what they know will happen? This whole problem is even the topic of a childrens book (called the ant and the grasshopper) so even little kids can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    You and me both. I live in Florida and my house is brick and block. When I needed new windows I made sure they were hurricane windows, and when I needed to reroof I made sure it was metal too. I also made sure my house wasn't isn't in a flood zone before buying it too. Pretty basic stuff that makes me wonder why others don't make the same considerations too.

You know it's not IF a major hurricane will hit here, but WHEN. Why then do people not plan for what they know will happen? This whole problem is even the topic of a childrens book (called the ant and the grasshopper) so even little kids can get it.
    it's nice to see that there are americans who understand this issue. american houses are a complete joke. i mean, a wall that you can punch a hole in with your bare hands? punching a wall should break your hand, not the wall. a car crashes into the house and the house gets destroyed? crashing a car into a house should destroy the car and leave only a dent on the house, not the other way around.

house is a big lifetime investment which you should never go cheap on. especially if you live in a hurricane zone. sure you might save a significant amount of money by buying a cheap house, but once that house gets blown away by a hurricane along with everything that was inside, and you're left without a home, without your belongings, you realise what a dumb decision it was to be cheap on such an important investment.

more americans should be smart like you and build better quality houses

Good luck to you, Paddedbossman. I have a granddaughter in Florida so I'll be watching too. She is in a safer part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
    That's like asking why we don't build our cities to withstand a nuclear attack. Mankind has technical smarts but lacks common sense.

The other thing is that it is a matter of what people can afford and what risk they are willing to assume.

It pains me to know there are fellow humans in such danger. Mother Nature is vengeful and has little compassion at times. I am seeing the pictures of the damage to the West Indies and I can do nothing. You are all in my thoughts and I implore you to do as others suggest and work with each other and the emergency services to be safe. Much love. x

You'll be fine as long as you don't live right on the water or in a mobile home...say near Sarasota. I've been in the eye of two Cat 2's and one Cat 3 (105-125 mph). It's pretty intense but the worst that will happen is your roof might come apart. If you are really that frightened, I would go to a shelter in your area. There are numerous shelters open and you still have time. Most newer homes along the coast in Florida are CBS (concrete, block, stucco) and with new building codes can withstand 150 mph winds. This storm is going to fuck up our infrastructure, but as long as you don't go out for a stroll in a 100+ mph squall, you'll be fine. Everything you own can be replaced. Hurricanes (and other natural disasters) have a way of reminding us of the most important things in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention shutters and a safe place. Most people will have hurricane shutters for their windows (or hurricane proof windows). Find a place in your house that has four solid walls and no windows (safe place). Good luck to all my fellow Floridians. We'll get through this okay.