Bambino Magnifico Pull-Up Review

Fruitkitty

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
The Bambino Magnifico Pull-Up was released in August 2017 and has been pitched as the first printed pull-up designed for the ABDL community. Indeed, despite widespread community interest, several ABDL manufacturers have in the past declined to produce an ABDL pull-up citing limitations to manufacturing such a product given the unavailability of key materials in modern baby pull-ups that are still under patent. Bambino has opted to produce an ABDL pull-up that's more similar to a modern medical adult pull-up but which is printed with their Magnifico dinosaur print.

I am reviewing the medium size Bambino Magnifico Pull-Up as purchased at launch in August 2017. The small size is listed as fitting waists of 20"-28", the medium size is listed as fitting waists of 28"-40", and the large size is listed as fitting waists of 40"-56".

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Magnifico Pull-Up comes in plain white packaging with a label on one side. The pack seemed very floppy when taken out of the case as compared to typical diaper packaging. Opening the pack reveals that the pull-ups are stacked vertically rather than horizontally relative to the length of the package, unlike other diapers.

282-11-packfront.JPG

282-12-packside.JPG

282-14-packopen.JPG

Front, Back, and Opened Packaging, Respectively

The Pull-Up borrows the all-over dinosaur print from the Bambino Magnifico diaper. This is where the similarities between the diaper and pull-up begin and end, because everything else appears to be different.

Right out of the package, it was at first a bit difficult to tell front from back. The product description mentions as a feature that there is a blue line in the back to determine the back side of the pull-up, but I had to go looking for this to find it at all because this line is barely visible along the inside top of the waistband. The easier way to tell the front from back is that the semi-circular elastics on the outside were located on the front, such that unfolded there is more space in the back than front analogous to the asymmetric front and back wings on a diaper.

The elastic waistband is of the "granny-panty" style seen on typical adult pull-ups as well as some off-brand baby pull-ups. It is large and stands significantly taller than the top of the padding. Moreover, while the Magnifico print is believable on a diaper, pull-ups for toddlers typically have large unidirectional images age-appropriate for an older child than a baby, intended to make them seem more like "big-kid" underwear. Altogether, this product looks substantially different than the pull-ups typically associated with toddlers which struck me as very inauthentic and very unrealistic.

282-1-FrontFolded.JPG

282-2-BackFolded.JPG

Front and Back of Folded Pull-Up, Respectively

To test their dry thickness, I stacked three diapers on top of each other, placed a heavy book on top of them, and measured their height. Together, the 3 pull-ups had a height of approximately 6.3 cm (2.5 in). Thus, the dry thickness of a single folded diaper is 2.1 cm (0.8 in). This is much thinner than any decent adult diaper, and certainly thinner than any ABDL diaper that I know of including those intentionally designed to be cheaper, "daytime" diaper brands.

282-3-stacked.JPG

3 Diapers Stacked

I measured the dry mass of 3 pull-ups using a kitchen scale, and measured them at 380 g (0.84 lb), for a mass of 127 g (0.28 lb) per pull-up. Matching their thin profile, this makes them substantial less massive than any ABDL diaper that I have tested.

282-13-DryMass3.JPG

Dry Mass of 3 Pull-Ups Stacked

The Magnifico Pull-Up has tear-away sides. I found them to stay firm until intentionally pulled apart.

282-4-tapes.JPG

The Sides

The inside of the pull-up is all white, with the padding that appears to be a single straight pad rather than the hourglass shape typically used in diapers. Stretching out the wings for pictures proved practically impossible due to the very stretchy nature of the elasticated waistband.

282-5-outside.JPG

282-6-inside.JPG

Front and Back of Unfolded Pull-Up

With the pull-up laid flat and disconnected at the tear-away sides, it measures 65.0 cm (26.0 in) in length, 28.7 cm (11.3 in) in width at the wings, 21.3 cm (11.3 in) in width at the center, and 13.2 cm (5.2 in) in width between the leak guards. This stands out as being notably less long and narrower than a typical size medium adult diaper, with much of the difference presumably intended to be made up for with the stretch of the waistband.

282-7-length.JPG

282-8-widthwing.JPG

282-9-widthcenter.JPG

Performance and Fit

To test the capacity of this pull-up quantitatively, I ran a test to simulate use. I put a pull-up on and then repeatedly poured water into the front of it in 100 mL increments and sitting down in a chair for 30 seconds each time to give the pull-up a chance to absorb the liquid, pace the process, and see if it would leak when sitting.

…or at least, that is the test that I attempted to perform, because testing this pull-up proved problematic in ways that I have literally never seen on an adult diaper. The waistband, as it turns out, is not watertight at all and liquid flowed right through it, therefore on my first attempt to test the capacity I ended up pouring water right through the waistband.

For a second attempt to measure capacity, I very carefully stretched out the waistband and poured directly to the top of the padding. This avoided leaking through the top, however, at 100 mL the pull-up already felt wet at the legs, at 200 mL it was starting to bulge outwards and the fit at the leg cuffs was becoming increasingly loose, and finally at 300 mL I felt like I was sitting in a puddle while water ran out the leg cuff, which was no longer sealed at all, and on to my chair. I ended the test there.

This pull-up, in addition to being smaller and lighter than any adult diaper I have tested, simply never fit very tightly. The legs felt loose and even a little bit of deformation from saturation of the padding was enough to lose seal completely. I have a 36" waist and I do not think I should be having a problem getting a functional fit on a product listed as fitting waists from 28"-40", but with this product I definitely did.

A typical estimate for normal adult bladder functional capacity range is 300-400 mL. As tested, this pull-up appears to fail well before what it would take to contain one full wetting.

I folded the pull-up back up to compare its thickness to a dry pull-up. It had expanded to roughly 4.5 cm (1.8 in), about 2.1x its original size.

282-10-heightfull.JPG

Dry Diaper Next to Full Diaper After Quantitative Test

I put on a fresh pull-up and wore it while going about ordinary activities for about an hour, and then out of skepticism and precaution, I stepped into my shower before attempting to wet it. It was a good thing that I took precautions, because the pull-up leaked through the top immediately.

It would be extremely difficult, if possible at all, to use this product in a way that would successfully hold even a single significant wetting. It appears to be a fundamentally broken product without useful functionality.

The padding has a soft, packed cotton feel, and the pull-up was a largely silent cloth-backed item. It felt loose, but was otherwise comfortable to wear unused. Even then, the different style of waistband gives it a fit that differs a bit from a name-brand toddler pull-up.

Price and Final Thoughts

I purchased these pull-ups for the purposes of a review from https://bambinodiapers.com/. They are available in sample packs of 2, 2 bags of 10, and cases of 40. Pricing for Bambino Magnifico Pull-Up is $8.50/2, $39.95/20, and $69.95/40. Prices include shipping. At the case size, this works out to $1.75/pull-up. This prices them in line with typical ABDL diapers, and much lower than the unusually expensive Magnifico diaper with which it shares a name.

This product in my testing is utterly non-functional, and it furthermore does not actually look like a toddler pull-up limiting its value as a purely cosmetic product. I have reviewed diapers before that had significant flaws, but I have never reviewed something that could not even hold a single adult wetting. I have reviewed plenty of diapers with designs that are intended to be babyish but do not make sense, but nothing as far out of line as this.

This is the worst ABDL product I have had the displeasure of reviewing and I don't think it should exist or continue to be sold to the community in its current form. This is to my knowledge the first time that reviewing a diaper has ever made me angry, because this product feels like a cynical attempt to make a cheap buck by promising a long-sought item to the ABDL community and then selling a broken product that fails to deliver on both form and function.

I strongly recommend against buying this product and rewarding the decision-making process that led to this product. I believe that Bambino would be wise to discontinue and/or completely overhaul this product, because in its current form it will quickly erode future credibility with their customers.

Last edited:
Would not be surprised if these were made alongside or using NSC FlexSupreme pullups, as they look similar aside from prints. Those pullups didn't fit well at all, but the new GoSupreme ones do fit quite well. I think if there should be a printed pullup, it should be based on those, as tehy do hold their shape, and have a tighter fit than any other pullup I've tried.

Thanks for the review I was considering on buying some of these. Its pitiful that they cannot adsorb a single wetting. For that performance they should of charged much less like less than 1 dollar per pull up. But Bambino being the cheapsakes they are gotta price them high.

- - - Updated - - -

Paddedbossman said:
Thanks for the review I was considering on buying some of these. Its pitiful that they cannot adsorb a single wetting. For that performance they should of charged much less like less than 1 dollar per pull up. But Bambino being the cheapsakes they are gotta price them high.

I wonder if it would be false advertisement for this product. As on the listing page Bambino says this "more absorbency than traditional pull-ups on the market" I am going to assume this is false as I think even depends can adsorb a single wetting?

more absorbency than traditional pull-ups on the market? Bullshit. #FakeNews

Thanks for this. You said exactly what I thought. I'm surprised you actually went through with the complete review. Thanks for that, though. This was a horrible product from a usually competent seller.

This seemed like a massive cash grab from the start. Doesn't surprise me when they already cheapened their other lines when magnifico came out.

Thanks for writing this one, Fruitkitty. I hadn't been planning on a purchase anytime soon, but I like to try out various diapers over time, and I really appreciate learning that this isn't worth a single dollar.

Thank you for the review they won't see a single dollar from me for these.

Hi Fruitkitty,
I always appreciate how thorough your reviews are and this one is no exception. I never thought I'd have a diaper review match up to my other favorite review of this year (the Guardian's Le Cinq restaurant review) but here we are. Thank you for articulating how insulting and deceitful the product is. Five stars for the review and zero to Bambino diapers for releasing this awful product. Thanks again for this it's quite cathartic to read after having bought the product myself.

I tried them too, and I agree they were HORRIBLE!

Very thorough review! Thank you!

Paddedbossman said:
I wonder if it would be false advertisement for this product. As on the listing page Bambino says this "more absorbency than traditional pull-ups on the market" I am going to assume this is false as I think even depends can adsorb a single wetting?

It is false advertising and misleading. I even called them out on their "more absorbency than traditional pull-ups on the market" bullshit and I said #FakeNews to them because it's misleading and it's false advertising.

An abdl diaper that's actually terrible. $40 bucks for 20 of those is not worth it. You might as well buy a pack of depends pull-ups 'cause at least it's the same amount of holding for a cheaper price; $20 for a pack of 30.

tried a sample comfy to wear no abosrbancy. the magnigico doesnt even fit my body.

the teddys and rest of the line fit and worked well i though. but spendy is the truth.

AnimeDude892 said:
It is false advertising and misleading. I even called them out on their "more absorbency than traditional pull-ups on the market" bullshit and I said #FakeNews to them because it's misleading and it's false advertising.

I can attest to this. I've tried Abena's Abri-Flex pull-ups and they held at least one wetting if not more. I haven't tried other pull-ups, but based on that it is possible to make a pull-up with good absorbency even if it'll never match that of a diaper. They're about half as expensive, too (XPmed lists them at $22 for a pack of 14).

It's a shame to see these were pretty much a flop and does seem like sort of a cash grab since AB disposable pull-ups are something the community has been pining for for years, and their regular diapers are still among the top brands. I think the real flaw is, like stated in the review, there doesn't seem to be the right resources/materials/etc to make an authentic AB pull-up.

Sure they're flops, but it is not a big deal to me, unless they mess up stuff even more. This mistake is either a foul ball, or a possible strike 1.

it’s very cute and fit for my brother

Back