Telling your urologist

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMS401

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've had a couple bouts of urological issues in the past. About 10-12 years ago I had an issue that felt like a bladder infection but my then-uro never did figure it out definitively. He thought it was prostatitis, though I've had my doubts.

But recently I really did have prostatitis, and it makes some sense to me that wearing and wetting diapers may have been the cause. I don't know that's true but I can't imagine what else could have caused it.

I told my first uro that I wore diapers to manage the infuriatingly constant need to pee and he was none too pleased. He also said he had to include that tidbit in my chart, though I have no idea if he actually did.

But now I'm going to see a new urologist and I'm wondering if I should fess up. I don't want it in my records, which are accessible by insurance companies and, potentially, other doctors. I'm torn and I welcome thoughts from others who may have experienced similar situations.

Thoughts? What would you do?

-RMS

I see you're 52. I'm a little bit older than you and was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. If you haven't done so lately, have your doc do a PSA test and a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) soon. Frequent urination and infections can mean cancer. I pray that it is not and just an enlarged prostate. The latter can be fixed with antibiotics.

Having said that, diapers are really no concern of your doctor any more than if you wear a dress around your house. I don't think infections would be a result of them.

Thanks, Scaramouche. When I was recently diagnosed with prostatitis, I was given a DRE and I'm confident I will get another when I see the uro next week. Probably a PSA as well, which I've also had before, but it's been a bit. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope you're doing okay.

But I'm going to challenge your assertion that wearing and wetting diapers is analogous to wearing a dress. Wetting a diaper involves your urine, a bacteria-laden part of your body (since it's moist and warm most of the time), and your urethra. I know men are less prone to infections than women, due to a longer urethra, but I doubt the risk is zero. I have no proof diapers are a risk factor for prostate infections but I think there's enough reasonable doubt to raise the question, no?

-RMS

Thanks, Scaramouche. When I was recently diagnosed with prostatitis, I was given a DRE and I'm confident I will get another when I see the uro next week. Probably a PSA as well, which I've also had before, but it's been a bit. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope you're doing okay.

I'm doing fine. I'm two weeks past surgery. Thanks!

But I'm going to challenge your assertion that wearing and wetting diapers is analogous to wearing a dress. Wetting a diaper involves your urine, a bacteria-laden part of your body (since it's moist and warm most of the time), and your urethra. I know men are less prone to infections than women, due to a longer urethra, but I doubt the risk is zero. I have no proof diapers are a risk factor for prostate infections but I think there's enough reasonable doubt to raise the question, no?

You can tell him. That's fine. There might be a correlation. I just thought you were wondering if it was important enough to bring up that you wear and I don't think it's any of his business. I have been 24/7 since surgery and the pull ups and diapers I wear are pretty good about wicking away the moisture. I change four times a day, though. My only super saturated one is the overnight diaper which I change first thing in the morning. (note that the overnight pee is mostly done on purpose ;) )

LQQK at this site

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting site! Because it clearly uses the same software as this site, I thought it was a sub-forum or something. I see how that could be a great resource!

-RMS

My Urologist who is female knows I am in diapers 24/7.

RMS401 said:
Very interesting site! Because it clearly uses the same software as this site, I thought it was a sub-forum or something. I see how that could be a great resource!

-RMS

Can you find on TapaTalk? If do, under which search?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobodyknows said:
I doubt insurance companies or doctors would care that you wear diapers. They'd probably just assume it's for medical reasons.

You're probably right that they wouldn't care, but then it would be listed as a preexisting condition. I try to give insurance companies as little information as I can. I may be on the paranoid side of things, but you know those "fitness challenge" things they offer at workplaces? They can earn you some pretty nice money . . . all you have to do is volunteer all kinds of information about your medical condition and lifestyle. I've never done a single one for that very reason.

-RMS

- - - Updated - - -

caitianx said:
My Urologist who is female knows I am in diapers 24/7.

If I were genuinely incontinent, which you appear to be, mine would as well. But since I'm not, bringing up the notion of diapers is a bit more complicated for me.

Also, I thought about getting a female uro but in the end decided I just couldn't do it. It's not so much the fondling-your-genitals thing as it is the puttiing-a-finger-in-my-butt thing. I just couldn't do it.

-RMS

it is the puttiing-a-finger-in-my-butt thing. I just couldn't do it.

Women tend to have smaller fingers. Think about it. ;)

I've had both male and female docs put their finger up my butt. The feelings the same in that situation--not a turn on no matter who has the latex covered finger up there.

My Urologist is the only one other than my female Primary Care Physician who is allowed to see and touch my "Precious", which is what I call the private body part in my diaper.
Having my Urologist putting her rubber-gloved index finger into my poo-poo hole feels "intensely" weird.

Scaramouche said:
Women tend to have smaller fingers. Think about it. ;)

I have, I have, believe me. Maybe I'm just shy. :-\

RMS401 said:
Also, I thought about getting a female uro but in the end decided I just couldn't do it. It's not so much the fondling-your-genitals thing as it is the puttiing-a-finger-in-my-butt thing. I just couldn't do it.

From the female side of things... I've only seen female gynecologists. You can't tell me there isn't something weird and uncomfortable about a guy handling women's breasts and sticking things up their vaginas. No thank you...

Wearing and using diapers alone cannot and will not cause an infection or prostatitis. Now wearing a wet diaper for extended periods (12+ hours) *might* cause a uti.

Many doctors and urologists still see diapers as a last resort only when admitting they have failed to help you. He was probably upset because he doesn't want to seem like a failure. Obviously this way of thinking is outdated and wrong though.

Your choice to use diapers to help manage your problems, is your choice. I'd assume it's in your records already, so no point in hiding it. Just tell your new urologist they "help improve your quality of life". They seem to like that line, and are more willing to accept it when you say it that way. Of course, emphasize you are still seeking a way to beter manage your issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back