Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelic

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
  3. Incontinent
I've been eating plenty of fibre recently and I can't understand why I a, still constipated. I've been constipated for about 2 years now, (I can pass a little bit of stool at a time, it's about a 1-2 on the Bristol chart) at the moment I can't feel like when I need to go so when i sit on the toilet I seem to void my bowels then, and sometimes I don't when I feel I need to go, I'm basically don't know when I need to poop!

What I've been eating the past few days is: Sunday: cheerios multigrain for breakfast, lunch waffles and strawberries, snack time, I had a muller corner banana yoghurt with chocolate flakes, dinner time I had lasagne and after dinner snack was malt loaf.

Monday : cheerios multigrain for breakfast, lunch, waffle and strawberries for lunch, snack time (can't remember) , for dinner, I had Spaghetti Bolognese and for at efternoon snack I had a couple pieces of malt loaf with sultanas. I drank a mix of fruit squash and water.

Yesterday I've been eating, cheerios for breakfast, waffle for lunch, I missed snack time, I had a chicken stir fry with peppers for dinner and had a malt loaf for snack after dinner.

I may of missed a bit of fibre but it's still a whole lot of fibre than I used to eat!

I do have spells of IBS especially if I'm excited or anxious, today I'm anxious and excited because I'm meeting a new friend for the first time. I musty can't understand why I still can't open my bowels, I can pass gass fine.

If you are eating adequate fibre without result than you need to increase fluids add at least 2 plus additional glasses of water if that doesnt do thevtrick you will need to see a doctor and get checked for food sensitivity such as gluten, wheat, dairy etc .that can cause inflammation as well as IBS-Constipation, but in general your bowels are regulated by fibre and water , avoid laxatives unless by order of a physician who has verified that this is "simple constipation" without impactions or bowel blockage using laxatives in cases other than simple constipation use of laxatives can cause constipated diarrhea whereby the laxative propels liquid stools around the hard blockage causing anal leakage but not relieving the blockage , so try adding a lot more water if that doesnt help see your doctor .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Let me emphasize I am by no means an expert and have suffered constipation over my many years but I have learned about diet over the last 20 years since being marries. When I see you diet, the first thing I see are carbs. Carbohydrates. Even the cheerios multi grain have carbs. The day of cheerios, waffles and lasagna all scream carbs. The best thing I see are strawberries and yogurt. My advice is to try and get more protein in your diet: fish, eggs, meat also you didn't mention veggies. Do you eat green veggies? Salads? Finally, there are safe (at least here in the US) supplements that can help you regulate you bowels. One is called Benefiber which I recently tried. It is clear and tasteless and can be added to any juice and is tasteless. The directions call for three a day but you could start off with one and see how it goes and work your way up. But I would try to cut the carbs down and increase the protein. Also look at the fiber and card totals of food like cheerios. You might be surprised. I have found a yogurt a day really helps me and my wife swears by probiotics (found in stores) to help her.

Add water, and add vegitables. It kind of sounds like you're eating too much too. Try cutting out that evening snack (it's best if your stomach doesn't have any food in it late at night).

Also try an elimination diet. This is where you eliminate (replace) one type of food, such as gluten or dairy, for at least one week. If your health doesn't improve then reintroduce that food for a few days, followed by eliminating something else.

I'm not eating too much, I'm 8 stone 4, I'm no means overweight

- - - Updated - - -

I eat what I get put on my plate, my parents make my dinners and buy my cereals

- - - Updated - - -

But yes I should eat more greens but I've tried talking to my parents and they just fall back on their old ways

- - - Updated - - -

Also with cutting carbs I thought you had to eat carbs every meal

- - - Updated - - -

How do I eat vegetables if my parents won't make me vegetables to eat? Do you have any ways around it, I don't really want to explain that I'm constipated to them!

The fiber seems to be up to par. I would increase water intake, as well as fruits and vegetables. They can be consumed liberally, and can instantly help you get the water and nutrients you need to get things moving again.

Angelic said:
I'm not eating too much, I'm 8 stone 4, I'm no means overweight

- - - Updated - - -

I eat what I get put on my plate, my parents make my dinners and buy my cereals

- - - Updated - - -

But yes I should eat more greens but I've tried talking to my parents and they just fall back on their old ways

- - - Updated - - -

Also with cutting carbs I thought you had to eat carbs every meal

- - - Updated - - -

How do I eat vegetables if my parents won't make me vegetables to eat? Do you have any ways around it, I don't really want to explain that I'm constipated to them!

That's good to hear then. You must have a good metabilism.

Try asking for sincle serving canned vegitables. It's as easy as cracking open a can and serving as is (heating it is optional too).

Also, bags of frozen veggies (and fruit) are pretty cheap and can be cooked in individual portions.

Well if I've got. A good metalbilsism, my parents are overweight so they must be eating badly as well

- - - Updated - - -

Scaramouche said:
Also, bags of frozen veggies (and fruit) are pretty cheap and can be cooked in individual portions.

I feel a bit cheeky buying vegetables to put on family meal, I shouldn't be buying that!

Angelic said:
I feel a bit cheeky buying vegetables to put on family meal, I shouldn't be buying that!

My parents weren't real big veggie eaters, either. They eventually became over weight. Other than corn, peas and green beans, there wasn't much offered. I later discovered broccoli and love it!

I understand your hesitancy about adding veggies to your parents meal. That might insult them, I guess. When you first posted I was unaware that you still lived with your parents.

Make snacks out of baby carrots or a carrot raisin salad , ants on a log stalks of celery with a smear of peanut butter and raisins on top (raisins dates figs plums(prunes) are very good for regularatoty as they are packed with fibre, throw a green apple a half a carrot a handfull of spinach in the blender and then drink it , a hand full of kale, spinach, bok choy and strawberries blueberries in the blender drink that , rocky road ice cream and banana with a hand full of strawberries in the blender ,makes a great snack shake . There are ton of ways to add veggies to your diet when I make marinara sauce I put spinach and carrots onions garlic peppers tomatoes celery green chillies mint dill and rosemary into blender as base of the spaghetti sauce works well for chilli & lasagna also ,everybody loves my sauce without even knowing there's a bucket of vegetables in it as a base add some meat a few other spices and some cheese and nutmeg, simmering it for about 6 hours to build flavor. If you use white pasta change to whole wheat that adds fibre , brown rice leaves the bran on the rice instead of polished white rice, there are millions of cooking tricks that people wont realy notice that makes eating healthier even in carb loaded diets , eat sweet potato fries , tots and such instead of white potatoes

I'm going to buy tommrow, some whole meal bread to put in the freezer, either oranges or apples, peanut butter, salad, chicken pieces, plain youghurt, blueberries, carrot sticks and vegetable soup

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like sweet potato

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not likely to get an evening meal with veg each time but your saying I can make my other snacks have what I need

- - - Updated - - -

It's shocking no wonder think about it, if I carry on eating what I do in about 30 years time I could be overweight!

- - - Updated - - -

Eek!

- - - Updated - - -

I knew I didn't eat a lot of cake or pie but that's still shocking!

- - - Updated - - -

My parents aren't obese, but they are over what they should and don't look very fit

Yeah lots of people dont like something ( my kryptonite is lima beans, I have tried them every way possible and just cannot stand them) the good news is Rome wasnt built in a day ,small changes to your diet can reap big rewards towards regularity and health , oranges is a good think (wheras drinking orange juice is not so good because they add a ton of sugar and remove all the fiber ) you can also take a realy fine grater called a "zester" and remove the orange , lemon and lime colored parts and dry them and use them later to cook with , like brown rice cooked in lime zest and cilantro with black beans ( black beans are my favorite but any beans can be used ) and cook the beans in chicken stock , ginger, onions carrots , cut up a some chicken or pork roasted put into a whole wheat tortilla with some spinach avocado slices and sour cream , very healthy beans are loaded with fibre and nutrients,spinach gives you vitamins and roughage and the advocado gives you those things plus healthy fats ( vegans make a delicious chocalte mousse/ pudding with advocado and cashews since they dont use dairy ) .
Anyway small steps every week or two working in different vegetables to a new you , even if your dad and step mom don't eat veges you can ! I bought this gizmo on late night tv called a dessert bullet toss in fruits and veggies frozen with yogurt and you get soft serve .another cool trick cut up tomatoes and cucumbers or zucchini and marinate in italian salad dressing makes a very tasty side dish or healthy snack ,i love to eat so i learned to cook from my mom and night courses at the culinary institute of america , I was a good bachelor , I could invite someone over for dinner and movie and make an excellent meal rather than getting a pizza or Chinese taken out. My aide gets frustrated because I eat better and cheaper than he does because he doesnt want to know how to cook, cooking to him is microwaveing something .

What's cilantro, roughage and zucchini?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm making steps to make breakfast and lunches more different as I'm bored with the same old, I've wrote a list of possible meal ideas for each meal so I can choose between 7 dishes.

Tonight I've had sausages, carrots and mashed potato with gravy. Over all healthy, most nights we don't eat vegetables.

Cilantro is an herb , ever have Mexican food like salsa or guacamole that's the herb , rougher is just basicly good fibre left over from vegetables that helps keep you regular and zucchini is an Italian vegetable kinda between a cucumber and eggplant , if you go to a bar they will often have zucchini dipped in batter and fried as an appetizer or side dish along with chicken sticks, fried mushrooms , cheese sticks , onion rings , you can also get a kitchen tool called a spiralizer that will turn it into long thin curls people often do that when they can't eat regular pasta because of gluten intolerance ,toss it into boiling water for a minute or two , drain cover with sauce and cheese , they do the same thing with an appropriately named spaghetti squash as a pasta replacement .

Here's another one for you that's quick and easy if you like cabbage get the very finely shredded cabbage and add mashed up avocado with equal parts mayonaise and sour cream and a little lime juice they call it golden goddess Cole slaw ,and of course salt & pepper to taste.you can eat cole slaw with everything from hotdogs on the grill to fried chicken as a picnic lunch or dinner .

One of my favorites is kale chips. Kale is kind of like spinache and is packed with vitamins, but tastes way better. Cut it up into one inch pieces, and bake it at 325 for 25 minutes.

Angelic said:
What's cilantro [snipped]

You may know it as coriander. Some people find it soapy and disgusting but most seem to love it. I'm more in the soapy camp but I'm working on it because it's everywhere.

Trevor said:
I'm more in the soapy camp but I'm working on it because it's everywhere.

How's that going? My understanding is you've got a genetic disposition to tasting the soap or not tasting it. If you're predisposed to tasting it as soap, you'll never not taste it that way. If I think about it when I'm eating something with a lot of cilantro (like homemade pico de gallo), I can find the undertones that make people think it tastes soapy and can understand why even if I appreciate it there are a lot of people who don't, but it's never bothered me.

flipside said:
How's that going? My understanding is you've got a genetic disposition to tasting the soap or not tasting it. If you're predisposed to tasting it as soap, you'll never not taste it that way. If I think about it when I'm eating something with a lot of cilantro (like homemade pico de gallo), I can find the undertones that make people think it tastes soapy and can understand why even if I appreciate it there are a lot of people who don't, but it's never bothered me.

That was my understanding as well. However, I read about people who kept at it and eventually it shifted. Maybe it's a delusion but since we're the only arbiters of our own taste, it would be a decent delusion. When I first encountered it, it was revolting and I had no idea why it would be on food. These days, it's not exactly positive but I've grown accustomed to its presence and it's no longer directly soapy. If I never had to taste it again, I'd be okay but I don't shy away from it anymore.

I found having a new routine and job can cause constipation. Milk of magnesia works well for me. And drink that water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back