Psychological need Vs. Medical need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case there is a psychological need as well as a medical need. A long time cross dresser, I was not into diapers until after a public embarrassment and I was diagnosed with incontinence after a urodynamics test. Now diapered 24/7 I have no wish to not be wearing my diaper and plastic pants. It would upset me if I weren't wearing them. I always travel with my diaper bag in case of emergency.

I'd say yes, I'm split down the middle. 50% medical, 50% psychological. The medical half being IBS-D with pretty intense urgency during severe flare ups and a not exactly overactive but still pretty active bladder depending on how much I drink. The psychological half longs for the piece of mind of not getting my clothes dirty with small accidents, or avoiding the embarassment of making a big mess with a full accident. Better safe than sorry, or messy in this case. Something about being diapered 24/7 just feels right, like my soul is complete.

I started wearing diapers from an unfocussed anxiety about needing the loo when there wasn't one available, it calms my mind knowing that I have got some protection if I really have to pee, it kinda relaxes me so I don't have such an urge to go. Sometimes now when I'm home alone I'll feel an urge but I don't respond (react) to it by going to the loo immediately then the urge goes away after 5 mins or so. Once or twice I been caught out like this at home, and felt myself starting to wet, but kept calm about it and just enjoyed the experience, which gives me the confidence that if I ever did accidentaly wet in public I would the composure to cope with it, I always carry a spare when I go out now.

Cultural. You said it. You know, if our societal views weren't so skewed to the point where we feel threatened by any odd lifestyles, maybe some of us wouldn't have the psychological issues we have! It's that sense that, even though this is wonderful and fulfilling, the outside world sees it as gross and freaky and even doing something harmless like sucking a pacifier in public takes huge courage. Why? What is so wrong about it? Where is the harm? I see people being grossed out by the idea of capable adults voluntarily pissing and pooping themselves and honestly, it is kind of icky from that point of view. But harmful? Um, no. Back off, jerks!
But points of view are interesting that way since they change depending on where you're viewing it because I see a lifestyle that is all about comfort. All about being cared for, loved, and attended to. Of being protected and feeling a sense of calm. Plus the fact that I get a comfy seat wherever I happen to sit.

Pete67 said:
I started wearing diapers from an unfocussed anxiety about needing the loo when there wasn't one available, it calms my mind knowing that I have got some protection if I really have to pee, it kinda relaxes me so I don't have such an urge to go.

I've had kind of the same experience. My bladder used to be a bit overactive when I was younger, but now that I wear diapers I can go places where restroom conditions are less than ideal with a little less worry and a bit more confidence. Although I usually wear lighter protection, and still take advantage of comfortable toilets when they're available.

I medically need my diapers because I have no control over going pee and poop.
Yes, I admit that I love to wear my diapers.
After all, they are part of my Cerebral Palsy physical disability.

Yes it is definitely a psych need for me as I deal with mental illness but I can't help but wonder if that's also a medical need in some sense.

During my last psych ward stay I asked to wear pullies under the pretense of having Ibs which I do and is documented but it was still a stretch to say so. I felt those pullies gave me a bit of relaxation in an unpredictable time.

But I still love to wear even when I'm not depressed or going through psychosis. And as one poster wrote life is far too short to ignore simple, though in our case different, pleasures.

NateSean said:
Do you feel that a psychological need for diapers is as legitimate as a medical need?

There's a fair mix of both at this site. Which are you and what do you think?

I do feel that it is. It is a need either way.

Agreed!

I wear for bedwetting...so its kind of a need. But at the same time, I do very much enjoy being diapered because it makes me FEEL safe and protected. I find that in stressful times, I do wear during the day or times I otherwise don't NEED them because of how mentally calming they are.

So I guess over time, a psychological "need" can develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back