Psychological need Vs. Medical need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolfEmperor

Contributor
Do you feel that a psychological need for diapers is as legitimate as a medical need?

There's a fair mix of both at this site. Which are you and what do you think?

I would say no... They need diapers more than we need them ..we can go awhile with out them longer, but we will eventually go crazy without them after a while.. But the people who need them would love to be without them

Not in my case, at least. I like having them but they're by no means necessary. They make things better but thinking about them would be enough if that's all I had.

To the best of my knowledge medical need is an inability to control retention at all times, so the need is based on physical reasons.

While (as in my case) it is a coping mechanism for organic, non medical retention control. So yes I can go without them for long periods of time, but when the "need" is present it is for depression control.

I deal with a certain amount of depression as well, and diaper wearing puts me in a much better mood. I've always been attracted to diapers, and I would take it further than that. I dreamed constantly about diapers when I was a kid. I often thought about wanting and getting diapers. For some of us, having a psychological need for diapers is almost as necessary as an incontinent person having to have them. I have enough frustrations in my life without having to add no diaper wearing to that list.

Reactions: Fortcat
NateSean said:
Do you feel that a psychological need for diapers is as legitimate as a medical need?

Yes. And to say otherwise is dismissive and shows a lack of understanding of mental health issues.

Reactions: smolguy
100 Percent medical here

dogboy said:
I have enough frustrations in my life without having to add no diaper wearing to that list.

Life is too short to not do what makes you happy, and for some of us, that's wearing diapers.

I've got my diaper and my bottle for the night. I'm surrounded by stuffed animals. In an uncertain world, as least I can try to glean some peace for bedtime. They're seemingly simple objects, but they mean so much more.

Nowadays that I can wear freely, I'm basically addicted to my diapers, for better or for worse.

Marka said:
We have influence and choice (decision making), on both aspects... Both, of which are... "legitimate"

I am - both...
-Marka

Well said.

dogboy said:
I deal with a certain amount of depression as well, and diaper wearing puts me in a much better mood.

egor said:
So yes I can go without them for long periods of time, but when the "need" is present it is for depression control.

Also, depression has a chemical and neurological component which can be tested for and treated in a variety of ways. Medication and the like is one way but diapers is probably in the same league as therapy animals and other non invasive forms of treatment.

So in a sense you still have a medical need for diapers, it's just not incontinence exactly.

I say needs are needs. I'm not IC but I'd go bonkers in short time without diapers/ baby stuff. I've been down the depression and self harm road for years. Dealt with suicide attempts, self loathing, and too many insecurities and issues to list here. My Borderline Personality Disorder stems from being highly sensitive and my body does all sorts of very real physical things when my psychological needs are not being met. For example, when I get stressed out, a psychosomatic response is that I tend to get dizzy and I can get dropping spells. This is partially what caused my last employment to end. The diaper thing is sort of like a little blinking light in my head that never turns off and will bug me until I deal with it. Being diapered stops that blinking light and gives me peace.
So while I'm in no imminent need of them, I still require them for my mental well being. I'm a much nicer, calmer person with them. It helps control those inner demons and diapers can and do kill off those negative voices, as long as I'm in them. So needs are needs. I could go longer than an IC person could but as an ABDL, I don't see any reason to abstain from them. This is who I am and I own it. I've always been this way and I always will be.

I am in medical need of nappies or incontinence protection 24/7 as I have diabetic related neuropathy and have very little bladder control. I also have come to realise just how much happier I am in nappies so yes I have psychological reasons to wear as well but so what I am truly happy in my nappy so what else matters.

What is so funny is that all these years, all of these incidents with severe depression and anxiety, dealing with finding meds that work (no pharmaceuticals work), this weird thing actually does the trick. While accepting and living as an ABDL has been a solution since April, those feelings have lessened. Ironically I feel empowered and my personality is improving. And the icing in the cake, the part that really gets me is I knew the whole time this would work. That blinking light in my head was just trying to remind me that I had a solution in me all along. But the societal impact of accepting a fringe lifestyle is what stopped me.
I realized that it's weird but it's a harmless compulsion. As a self harmer, that is another coping mechanism that is hard wired in my brain. However this actually is shameful and destructive so these urges need to be suppressed and helped. But there is zero reason for me to treat my diapered self like a criminal. May be a bit off topic but it shows the psychological thought processes that run the show.

I hope this makes sense, but I would say yes, because there is something happening in our heads, for us to still like diapers, and I think it's deeper, due to our childhood for various reasons.

NateSean said:

There's a fair mix of both at this site. Which are you and what do you think?

Yes, absolutely.

If a soldier has severe ptsd, and has a psychological need for a service dog and meds, would you say that soldier doesn't have a letimate need for the dog or meds?

If a pre-transgendered person has a psychological need to be in the body they identify with, or even to just dress and act like how they identify with, would you believe they would be just fine not having that?

And if a person who is big on dl doesn't get to wear a diaper, and in the process picks up heavy alcoholism while also becoming severly depressed, would you not think they would be better off with diapers?

Except wait, there is no immediate physical need in any of these three examples. Deny them though, and each one can have very dire physical results. For them, and those around them. This has been proven time and again, and is simply not debatable. Yes, a true mental need is no less important than a physical one.

The real question though, is what constitutes a mental or psychological need? For some here, diapers are not a need. Such as those with a diaper fetish where it is a strong want. For others still, it is an ingrained compulsion that cannot be denied. It is very much a need for maintining or health and sanity alike.

I think that this has been answered well so far. As for my own needs, I believe that I fall under both as well.

Same here for both.

NateSean said:
Also, depression has a chemical and neurological component which can be tested for and treated in a variety of ways. Medication and the like is one way but diapers is probably in the same league as therapy animals and other non invasive forms of treatment.

So in a sense you still have a medical need for diapers, it's just not incontinence exactly.

I Agree

for me I need them for bed wetting and I like wearing them. so I think for me it both :smile1:

ToddySmurf said:
Yes. And to say otherwise is dismissive and shows a lack of understanding of mental health issues.

Perfectly said, a psych need IS a medical need imho, a psych desire would be something different imho, I'm not trying to attck OP over semantics btw, apologies if my comment comes across that way,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back