sucking thumb VS pacifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually sucked my thumb until I was about 13-14, stopped because I got braces, then picked up the pacifier when they came off around four years later. even though it's not a habit really anymore, but I'm sure it would be if I had a paci with me all the time, it's nice to have as an occasional soother.

I actually never sucked my thumb as a kid, always had a pacifier at that age. I tried thumb-sucking a few times when I realized I was little and had no access to a pacifier, but I didn't enjoy it.

To all of you who complain about your thumb not tasting too good; where have you been putting it? Kidding
On a serous note though
I generally prefer a pacifier over my thumb, but if I was desperate I probably use my thumb. It works about the same, but if I need something to help me concentrate I prefer my pacifier. When I am out in the open though I tend to put the tip of my thumb in my mouth. If it was not for how people can be paranoid about it I probably would use my pacifier. Heck I would use it while I would be taking tests especially because I tend to have a hard time focusing on the problem at hand instead of the clock on the wall. If I knew how people would react I would do it regardless of the outcome. The fear of the unknown is my biggest fear.

I've always sucked my thumb but when I had to go on a CPAP machine, even though I chose the nasal pillows so that I can suck my thumb when I sleep, it wasn't the same. I started using an adult sized pacifier and, with the chinstrap, it stays in all night. My upper teeth, though, have moved forward by 1.8 mm during the first 3-4 months. So, now, my overjet is 13.8 mm which is considered large but I'm used to it. I'm willing to let it get to 5 mm more before I start to be somewhat concerned however I must say, the more overjet the better, more fitted, it feels. I still suck my thumb during the day though.

Last edited:
I could never really suck my thumb unless I had something over it, like latex. But I'd probably pick pacifier.

Interesting. I have the opposite experience - I vastly prefer my paci to my thumb. Maybe I'm at an earlier stage of infancy. :)

MAM pacifier every night just like a baby.

Reactions: Baby simon
I love to suck my thumb as much as I can.
It comforts me and aids me in cognitive/emotional regulation.

caitianx said:
I love to suck my thumb as much as I can.
It comforts me and aids me in cognitive/emotional regulation.
And you don't use paci ?

I've sucked my thumb since I can remember and half my childhood was my mom trying to get me to stop lol. But I love it way to much. If I ever couldn't suck my thumb at night I would not be able to sleep lol.
I've never tried a paci before though.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back