Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 'IRS' scam call

Default Another 'IRS' scam call

Get in the car for the morning commute. Five minutes in, the hands-free rings and it's a robocall from the IRS saying they are filing a lawsuit and I could be arrested. Yeah, I've heard this scam before, you want me to call right away before you send out a warrant for my arrest...

I've got a 45 minute commute ahead of me, hands-free phone, free long distance, and I'm bored. Let's play!!!

First time I get through I try playing along with their script. You want my name and address? Sure, here's a fake name and address. Oh, you found my case with that, perfect! Sure, you audited my taxes from 2010 to 2015 confidentially and found I owe you more...damn. The call came from central California which was obviously going to a call center in India (seriously, with that thick of an Indian accent you expect me to believe your name is Shaun Harris?) and the VOIP cut out. Damn. Let's try again...

Now who am I talking to? Victor Morris (again with the thick Indian accent). Great, Victor, I'm glad I got you! This is Chad with Bank of America calling about questionable charges on your Visa card. Did you place an order on a Danish website for several thousand dollars of liquor? No? So it's a fraudulent charge? No? Is it valid then, Victor? We here at B of A are trying to protect your credit...

Again, they finally hang up. Next! "Hello, this is the IRS." Congratulations, you've won a free Caribbean cruise from Carnival Cruise lines! Click.

They start figuring out my number and hanging up right as I call in. Last one before work, I get through and ask, "Am I annoying you? Or are we having fun yet? Please say we're having fun..." Click.

Lunchtime, have they forgotten about me? Call in..."Hello, this is the IRS."

Dude, man. Where's Dave? He gave me this number, said you'd answer with the IRS code phrase. The hookers OD'ed at the party two days ago, we need to get rid of the bodies! I got 47 keys of coke sitting here I gotta move, if the cops find it because the bodies stink the place up we're dead meat, man. Where's Dave, man? We gotta dump the bodies and move this coke!

"What are you saying?"

The hookers, man, they're dead! You need to help me get rid of the bodies!

"What are hookers?"

You know, man, the prostitutes, the gals you pay money to screw you.

"Don't you have a girlfriend?"

Yeah, man, I got a girl, these were for the guys at the party. But we gotta move the cocaine, too, dude. You know how much time we're looking at if the cops find us? I can't go back to the joint, man.

"Oh, don't do cocaine, it is bad for you."

I ain't doing it man, I'm just moving the shit! You gotta help me, we gotta get rid of the dead hookers! They're dead, man!!

That one I kept on the phone for almost ten minutes...

I got a phone call recently from a "we are phoning about the car accident you have had" and I just reply with something simple and straight forward such as "I haven't been in one". They say sorry and hang up, as why waste their time?

If you want to joke with them, you can ask "Which car accident, I was in three" and start making up what they invovled, does the car pee-ing on the back seat count as an accident? Or me spilling my coffee?

I get the Bermuda cruise calls all the time. I'd like to talk to the nice lady but it sounds like a recording. At least, she never stops. I want to ask them if they have kidney dialysis machines on board.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    [...]
    You, rotten, wonderful, a$$hole, you! I love you! That's good stuff! lmfao! -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    You, rotten, wonderful, a$$hole, you! I love you! That's good stuff! lmfao! -Marka
    Maria, that is THE best compliment I have been given, and coming from you, it's a big one. Thank you.

MassIncon

IRS never calls, they always communicate via us mail.

Anyone who falls for an IRS scam call deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by MassIncon View Post
    Anyone who falls for an IRS scam call deserves it.
    I would be careful about victim blaming. Not everyone is as bright or one step ahead. They make enough calls that they will hit some one who is vulnerable to believe it. I know my mum almost fell for the IT windows virus one. She could not pay up as she couldn't afford it. Did she deserve it? Hell no, it's easy to confuse people about things they don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Maria, that is THE best compliment I have been given, and coming from you, it's a big one. Thank you.
    The honer, is mine! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by isnotavailable88 View Post
    I would be careful about victim blaming. Not everyone is as bright or one step ahead. They make enough calls that they will hit some one who is vulnerable to believe it. I know my mum almost fell for the IT windows virus one. She could not pay up as she couldn't afford it. Did she deserve it? Hell no, it's easy to confuse people about things they don't know.
    Thank you for addressing this! I hadn't worked out a non-irritated way of saying this, myself...

Even someone who might ordinarily wise up to a scam attempt... might be caught off-guard or preoccupied enough with something else... causing them greater vulnerability...

They're not really targeting diminished or lower intellects, specifically - they're targeting emotional vulnerability by falsifying authority and instilling fear and, lack of believed control, with their intended victims.

So yeah - blaming and shaming victims and would be victims... is deplorable, inhumane and, tends to cause more people to hide in shame and not even report being duped... we still see this a lot in rapes, muggings and childhood abuses... Did they, "deserve" that too?

Besides the lack of compassion and sensitivity - One of the sad things about people who say these sorts of ill-thought statements of declaration is... they've likely been a victim, themselves... A superiority complex arises as a sort of self-defense; that stems from a deep-seated inferiority complex...

Thanks again,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by isnotavailable88 View Post
    Yeah I don't know about that. IF a person is stupid enough to fall for a scam then they certainly are not the strongest link in our society. If they are the weakest link then it's fair game to keep them down and hopefully out of the gene pool. This is a literal definition of Social Darwinism.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    [...]a person is stupid enough to fall for a scam then they certainly are not the strongest link in our society. [...] the weakest link then it's fair game to keep them down and hopefully out of the gene pool. [...]
    I'm a little surprised about this from you...

The broad sweeping generalizations particularly with the ambiguous definitions (no contextual definitions at all) of "stupid", "strongest", "weakest"...
    ...and then the use of the term "link"... as though your or anyone's survival, is dependent on others entirely and, your apparent presumption, that your genetics are somehow superior or at least, that theirs are inferior...

When in-fact... the technology alone, may be the only difference to their disadvantage and your advantage - as you require a surgery (a technological advance) and, they require protection (from the advanced technology)...

And, this is a literal definition of

Definition of social Darwinism

• : an extension of Darwinism to social phenomena; specifically : a sociological theory that sociocultural advance is the product of intergroup conflict and competition and the socially elite classes (such as those possessing wealth and power) possess biological superiority in the struggle for existence

Seriously man? C'mon... do I have to give you examples of how someone you care about (and, may even be genetically related to you and/or, is not even in the gene-pool anyway)... might get 'taken' ... and is "fair game to keep them down"?

Dude, that's just fucked-up... seriously!
    I sincerely hope that you are trolling or, yanking chains here... that would relieve my senses, at least...

-Marka