Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillsborough Disaster

Unhappy Hillsborough Disaster

I don't know how many people are aware of this outside of the UK, but today (15th April) marks the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster, a fatal human crush which occured during an FA Cup Semi-Final match between Liverpool FC and Nottingham Forest FC at the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield. It caused the death of 96 Liverpool fans, the youngest victim being a 10 year old boy.

I won't go into detail about it but if you're interested see here.

The inquiry into the disaster, the Taylor Report named the cause as failure of police control, and resulted in the conversion of many football stadiums in the United Kingdom to all-seater and the removal of barriers at the front of stands.

A memorial will be held today at Anfield (home of Liverpool FC), and there will be a two minutes' silence at 3:06pm British Summer Time to pay respects the 96 who tragically lost their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    I don't know how many people are aware of this outside of the UK, but today (15th April) marks the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster, a fatal human crush which occured during an FA Cup Semi-Final match between Liverpool FC and Nottingham Forest FC at the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield. It caused the death of 96 Liverpool fans, the youngest victim being a 10 year old boy.

I won't go into detail about it but if you're interested see here.

The inquiry into the disaster, the Taylor Report named the cause as failure of police control, and resulted in the conversion of many football stadiums in the United Kingdom to all-seater and the removal of barriers at the front of stands.

A memorial will be held today at Anfield (home of Liverpool FC), and there will be a two minutes' silence at 3:06pm British Summer Time to pay respects the 96 who tragically lost their lives.
    20 years ago?

This was TWENTY YEARS AGO??

Argh. I still remember this. I suppose it could be 20 years ago, but it (like my dad waking me up for Gulf War I and telling me, "we're at war") seems like just a few years ago. Like 10-12.

Peachy

I vaguely remember some problems with security of British football stadiums, that lead to the exlcusion of British clubs from European tournaments for a while. But that's mostly hear-say and not really my own memories, as I wasn't quite old enough to understand what was going on, especially in another country.
    However, if Liverpool played Nottingham, why did they play in Sheffield? And why in Hillsborough...not exactly the best part of Sheffield (I've been there at least 3 times already).

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I vaguely remember some problems with security of British football stadiums, that lead to the exlcusion of British clubs from European tournaments for a while. But that's mostly hear-say and not really my own memories, as I wasn't quite old enough to understand what was going on, especially in another country.
    However, if Liverpool played Nottingham, why did they play in Sheffield? And why in Hillborough...not exactly the best part of Sheffield (I've been there at least 3 times already).

Peachy
    FA Cup Semi-Finals used to be played at neutral grounds (ie a ground that isn't the home of one of the teams involved) throughout the country, and Hillsborough was one of them. I believe they are played at Wembley now.

I remember learning about this last year in Junior High when we had to do reports on disasters.. (Never got this topic, I got 9/11)

Very tragic.

Didn't know Hillsborough was the name of a stadium, it's the name of the county were I live. When you were talking about disaster I thought you were talking about the two tornados that hit Tampa yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    My apologies Takashi, I wasn't aware of that
    It's ok, there was a good amount of damage but no one was hurt as far as I know.

BabyWolf

A disaster is normally something not preventable, or at least not preventable by the people it victimizes. This was caused by the bad behavior (forceful pushing of those in front of them) of the very people it victimized. I therefore would not classify it as a disaster, but as manslaughter: unintentional death caused by willful negligence or recklessness. I can't have that much sympathy for people who misbehave over something so minor as a sporting event.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyWolf View Post
    A disaster is normally something not preventable, or at least not preventable by the people it victimizes. This was caused by the bad behavior (forceful pushing of those in front of them) of the very people it victimized. I therefore would not classify it as a disaster, but as manslaughter: unintentional death caused by willful negligence or recklessness. I can't have that much sympathy for people who misbehave over something so minor as a sporting event.
    Might I suggest you actually read my post and the article before jumping to any conclusions. Thank you for disrespecting everybody affected by this tragic event.