have diapers will travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggreggy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
last saturday i stopped at McD for lunch and ended up sitting next to two families traveling. when done eating the moms took the two toddlers off to get changed, and the two older boys (5 and 7?) went to the play area. the one guy then askedthe other " hey, how come your kids are still in diapers?" i nearly chocked on my coke,because i hadnt even notice. the dad said," we got tired of wet pants and emergency stops, so i told them either we stop traveling,or you kids were diapers. i was shocked when they said 'DIAPERS!' so we put them into diapers onevery trip. and it is so much easier."
the other guy said,"that sounds like the way to go. if jake is the same ill try that, too".
then the kids came back, and sure enough,they had diapers on!

anyone else see something similar?

I was at a rest stop in Nevada (on our way to Vegas) and the people in the car next to us had 2 7/8 year olds that were being changed. The kids didn't seem to mind at all, but as it was an incredibly private moment, I kept on walking. However, I do sometimes think back on it, and have always wondered why they were still in them. What you happened to overhear seems like it could fit. Wish my parents had diapered me for long car trips xD

i am confused here, are we talking about the 5 and 7 year old's? or were there 2 more "toddlers"?

I'm surprised the "one" guy was so content about it. I mean, most people are weirded out by that idea. The only time I've seen them not be weirded out is if the child has special needs.

It's also a trade-off with practicality. If you have kids and constantly having to make potty breaks or dealing with accident cleanups it might make sense to diaper them for the duration of the trip regardless.

--sf

I don't think this is right. Parents are belitteling their potty training. They should have been out of diapers waaay earlier. Also, they say they are tired of stops?! so what about changing wet diapers?! I think you need to carry more items, costs more and takes more time. That argument sounds weird to me.

BabyJacob98 said:
I don't think this is right. Parents are belitteling their potty training. They should have been out of diapers waaay earlier. Also, they say they are tired of stops?! so what about changing wet diapers?! I think you need to carry more items, costs more and takes more time. That argument sounds weird to me.

A diaper doesn't need changing after every use, unlike stopping for every break. Also there's less of a chance they'll have wet pants or car seats. Also at 5 and 7 I assume they're potty trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't surprising in the least. Years back my uncle used to travel constantly with his sons and I do believe one of them was diapered up until 5, even though he was potty trained. Basically same as above, with them flying and driving he didn't want to get caught unable to take the boys to a restroom so they were always diapered when they traveled. If they needed to go and they made it to a bathroom in time, the boys used the bathroom as normal. If they didn't and had an accident, well clean em' up and they're good to go.

From a kids perspective too - look at it this way. Many kids don't like to #2 in public (or #1 as well for that matter) and if they're "potty shy" may not want to go, then have an accident soon after. If you're a kid and the option is to not go to a theme park or go to a theme park AND not have to worry about being punished for something you have a hard time controlling (going when it's time), you're going to take the easier, more fun option. Conversely, if you've been teased for wearing a diaper and been made fun of or called a baby, then I'd say it would be the reverse. In my little brother's case he wore Pull-ups until he was over 4. Mom & Dad tried like hell to get him to transition to "big kid" underwear and he adamantly refused. Then he got made fun of at preschool and told he wouldn't be able to do certain things the "big kids" did, and he was in underwear in two weeks.

BabyJacob98 said:

It's one thing to realize there are situations where diapers are necessary and there shouldn't be any stigma to them - but I also think some parents rely on them too much. I can understand Pull-Ups for car trips if a younger kid really has problems with holding it, but I don't think that applies to your typical seven-year-old.

Remember: most people, including kids, do not have the same romanticized view of diapers that we do.

But this story sounds a little fishy anyway...

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
It's one thing to realize there are situations where diapers are necessary and there shouldn't be any stigma to them - but I also think some parents rely on them too much. I can understand Pull-Ups for car trips if a younger kid really has problems with holding it, but I don't think that applies to your typical seven-year-old.
I have had 7 yo cousins who needn't have any diapers nor pull-ups. so I guess that boy must have been 'special'.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Remember: most people, including kids, do not have the same romanticized view of diapers that we do.

But this story sounds a little fishy anyway...
You kidding me. That's definitelly not what I meant. I know parent wouldn't like seeing their kid in diapers at that age, neither keeping him in them purposfuly. I just pointed it sounds weird to me, like, it doesn't make sense but whatever.

After all, I think It's a bad idea to diaper a kid in that age, even when travelling, even when 'just in case'.

BabyJacob98 said:
I have had 7 yo cousins who needn't have any diapers nor pull-ups. so I guess that boy must have been 'special'.

You kidding me. That's definitelly not what I meant. I know parent wouldn't like seeing their kid in diapers at that age, neither keeping him in them purposfuly. I just pointed it sounds weird to me, like, it doesn't make sense but whatever.

After all, I think It's a bad idea to diaper a kid in that age, even when travelling, even when 'just in case'.

What I meant was a lot of people here may think ''Seven-year-old in diapers and the parents are OK with it? That's great!''... when that's not the reaction most people would have. OK, yes, diapers are great. But it's pretty much only ab/dl's who think that way, and sooner or later kids need to be expected to control their bladder or bowels to a normal extent.

I understand travelling can be a tricky situation and I've definitely had times in the car where a diaper would have really come in handy, so I can see there may be times parents might want their youngsters to have some protection for just in case - but whether or not it's really necessary, I think, depends on the kid's level of control and where exactly they're travelling through. Freshly-trained toddler going through the middle of nowhere where public restrooms are fifty miles apart? Yeah, I think a Pull-Up might be OK. Seven-year-old with normal control travelling in a densely populated area where there's a fast-food restaurant to stop at at every exit? I don't think a diaper is required.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
What I meant was a lot of people here may think ''Seven-year-old in diapers and the parents are OK with it? That's great!''... when that's not the reaction most people would have. OK, yes, diapers are great. But it's pretty much only ab/dl's who think that way, and sooner or later kids need to be expected to control their bladder or bowels to a normal extent.

I understand travelling can be a tricky situation and I've definitely had times in the car where a diaper would have really come in handy, so I can see there may be times parents might want their youngsters to have some protection for just in case - but whether or not it's really necessary, I think, depends on the kid's level of control and where exactly they're travelling through. Freshly-trained toddler going through the middle of nowhere where public restrooms are fifty miles apart? Yeah, I think a Pull-Up might be OK. Seven-year-old with normal control travelling in a densely populated area where there's a fast-food restaurant to stop at at every exit? I don't think a diaper is required.
Yeah, really depends, and we have no details so no point to continue.

BabyJacob98 said:

Why though? Imagine a scenario where you're travelling for like 6 hours (maybe more) and your child has to pee every 20 minutes or so. That means stopping at, most likely, a gas station, where it could be filthy and dirty but also that's gonna be like 18 stops along the way, meaning your long journey takes even longer. There's also a possibility (like someone else has mentioned on this forum) they could be pee shy in a public bathroom or out in the open and they won't pee and have to keep stopping more or they wet themselves. Let's reimagine the scenario where the kid is wearing a diaper. You could probably make one stop half way, or 2, to have the diaper changed or for them to poop in a restroom and that's it. Saving you time, not having to worry about wet clothes or a wet car and the smell to deal with. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem if I had a kid and were travelling long distances without a bathroom to wear a diaper.

CookieMonstah said:
Why though? Imagine a scenario where you're travelling for like 6 hours (maybe more) and your child has to pee every 20 minutes or so. That means stopping at, most likely, a gas station, where it could be filthy and dirty but also that's gonna be like 18 stops along the way, meaning your long journey takes even longer. There's also a possibility (like someone else has mentioned on this forum) they could be pee shy in a public bathroom or out in the open and they won't pee and have to keep stopping more or they wet themselves. Let's reimagine the scenario where the kid is wearing a diaper. You could probably make one stop half way, or 2, to have the diaper changed or for them to poop in a restroom and that's it. Saving you time, not having to worry about wet clothes or a wet car and the smell to deal with. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem if I had a kid and were travelling long distances without a bathroom to wear a diaper.
You are a bit exagerrating. Let's imagine a scenario where I get hit by meteorit. Equally likely.

BabyJacob98 said:

Define "special" because that sounds a bit offensive the way you phrased it. :/

He refers to toddlers, then comments on a 5 and 7 year old that went off to play. I got the idea there were 4 kids involved in this story; 2 toddlers in diapers and 2 older kids - the 5 and 7 year old. I say this because I would not call a 5 and 7 year old child a toddler. And toddlers in diapers seems perfectly natural. The story is not written clearly enough to comment intelligently on.

BabyJacob98 said:
You are a bit exagerrating. Let's imagine a scenario where I get hit by meteorit. Equally likely.

What do you mean I'm exaggerating? If a child is adequately hydrated they will need to use the bathroom quite often, like I said every 20 minutes or so, or let's be even more generous and say 30 minutes. Even then it's still 12 stops for a 6 hour journey. People do drive long distances with kids. I don't see how I'm exaggerating.

CookieMonstah said:
What do you mean I'm exaggerating? If a child is adequately hydrated they will need to use the bathroom quite often, like I said every 20 minutes or so, or let's be even more generous and say 30 minutes. Even then it's still 12 stops for a 6 hour journey. People do drive long distances with kids. I don't see how I'm exaggerating.

If a kid was peeing every 20 minutes I'd be taking them to a doctor to get checked for diabetes and a urinary tract infection...

From what I can gather on the Internet, toddlers generally urinate every two to three hours.

No, but 4 kids traveling may result in one of them needing a potty break every 30 min.

--sf

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
If a kid was peeing every 20 minutes I'd be taking them to a doctor to get checked for diabetes and a urinary tract infection...

From what I can gather on the Internet, toddlers generally urinate every two to three hours.

For an adult it's normal for them to go 10 times a day, so for children with smaller bladders, they're gonna pee more often, let's say 15 times a day. When you're hydrated properly, meaning your urine is clear, then you're gonna go often. I'm not exaggerating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back