Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: have diapers will travel

Default have diapers will travel

last saturday i stopped at McD for lunch and ended up sitting next to two families traveling. when done eating the moms took the two toddlers off to get changed, and the two older boys (5 and 7?) went to the play area. the one guy then askedthe other " hey, how come your kids are still in diapers?" i nearly chocked on my coke,because i hadnt even notice. the dad said," we got tired of wet pants and emergency stops, so i told them either we stop traveling,or you kids were diapers. i was shocked when they said 'DIAPERS!' so we put them into diapers onevery trip. and it is so much easier."
    the other guy said,"that sounds like the way to go. if jake is the same ill try that, too".
    then the kids came back, and sure enough,they had diapers on!

anyone else see something similar?

I was at a rest stop in Nevada (on our way to Vegas) and the people in the car next to us had 2 7/8 year olds that were being changed. The kids didn't seem to mind at all, but as it was an incredibly private moment, I kept on walking. However, I do sometimes think back on it, and have always wondered why they were still in them. What you happened to overhear seems like it could fit. Wish my parents had diapered me for long car trips xD

i am confused here, are we talking about the 5 and 7 year old's? or were there 2 more "toddlers"?

I'm surprised the "one" guy was so content about it. I mean, most people are weirded out by that idea. The only time I've seen them not be weirded out is if the child has special needs.

It's also a trade-off with practicality. If you have kids and constantly having to make potty breaks or dealing with accident cleanups it might make sense to diaper them for the duration of the trip regardless.

--sf

I don't think this is right. Parents are belitteling their potty training. They should have been out of diapers waaay earlier. Also, they say they are tired of stops?! so what about changing wet diapers?! I think you need to carry more items, costs more and takes more time. That argument sounds weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJacob98 View Post
    I don't think this is right. Parents are belitteling their potty training. They should have been out of diapers waaay earlier. Also, they say they are tired of stops?! so what about changing wet diapers?! I think you need to carry more items, costs more and takes more time. That argument sounds weird to me.
    A diaper doesn't need changing after every use, unlike stopping for every break. Also there's less of a chance they'll have wet pants or car seats. Also at 5 and 7 I assume they're potty trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't surprising in the least. Years back my uncle used to travel constantly with his sons and I do believe one of them was diapered up until 5, even though he was potty trained. Basically same as above, with them flying and driving he didn't want to get caught unable to take the boys to a restroom so they were always diapered when they traveled. If they needed to go and they made it to a bathroom in time, the boys used the bathroom as normal. If they didn't and had an accident, well clean em' up and they're good to go.

From a kids perspective too - look at it this way. Many kids don't like to #2 in public (or #1 as well for that matter) and if they're "potty shy" may not want to go, then have an accident soon after. If you're a kid and the option is to not go to a theme park or go to a theme park AND not have to worry about being punished for something you have a hard time controlling (going when it's time), you're going to take the easier, more fun option. Conversely, if you've been teased for wearing a diaper and been made fun of or called a baby, then I'd say it would be the reverse. In my little brother's case he wore Pull-ups until he was over 4. Mom & Dad tried like hell to get him to transition to "big kid" underwear and he adamantly refused. Then he got made fun of at preschool and told he wouldn't be able to do certain things the "big kids" did, and he was in underwear in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJacob98 View Post
    It's one thing to realize there are situations where diapers are necessary and there shouldn't be any stigma to them - but I also think some parents rely on them too much. I can understand Pull-Ups for car trips if a younger kid really has problems with holding it, but I don't think that applies to your typical seven-year-old.

Remember: most people, including kids, do not have the same romanticized view of diapers that we do.

But this story sounds a little fishy anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    It's one thing to realize there are situations where diapers are necessary and there shouldn't be any stigma to them - but I also think some parents rely on them too much. I can understand Pull-Ups for car trips if a younger kid really has problems with holding it, but I don't think that applies to your typical seven-year-old.
    I have had 7 yo cousins who needn't have any diapers nor pull-ups. so I guess that boy must have been 'special'.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    Remember: most people, including kids, do not have the same romanticized view of diapers that we do.

But this story sounds a little fishy anyway...
    You kidding me. That's definitelly not what I meant. I know parent wouldn't like seeing their kid in diapers at that age, neither keeping him in them purposfuly. I just pointed it sounds weird to me, like, it doesn't make sense but whatever.

After all, I think It's a bad idea to diaper a kid in that age, even when travelling, even when 'just in case'.