alexchar1982

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Little
so i have looked around a bit and have yet to really find a thread dedicated to dealing with the smell of used diapers, so i'll post what i have learned here and hopefully some new ideas will come up.

so far the best solution i have found for containing the smell of used diapers is a military ammo can, these are air and water tight steel containers that can be found online and in surpluss stores for 9-20 usd, but they aren't that large, the one i have can only hold two diapers and the largest i have found can hold three, maybe four. so not cheap, but effective. i have had some sucsess with ziplock bags for urine smells, but even then, they only contain it for two days at most. some of the actual diaper pails out there probably work great, but they are rather obvious. so, anyone have any other ideas or things that have worked well?

Why can't you take the out the following morning? I take mine out two days tops before they start to smell.

Ziplock bags can work well for hiding the smell for a little bit, but there isn't much that can contain it longer than overnight. I would never suggest trying to hide a used diaper anymore than overnight as the longer they sit the worse the smell gets. Is there a certain reason why you hide them for so long? I usually use a ziplock bag and then a trash bag that I knot in the middle and that holds the smell really well.

Seconding the suggestion of taking them out in the morning.

I always took mine out in a plastic grocery bag.

I agree with NateSean. I usually double grocery bag them, and sometimes spray a little fragrance on them if it will be a prolonged amount of time before taking them out to the trash.

I use an ordinary kitchen metal garbage canister, the kind that uses a foot pedal to open and close the lid. I put a Fabreeze scented plastic kitchen bag in the canister and then put my used diapers in that. The lid closes tightly over the can and the lip of the bag which hangs outside the can and I never have any smell issues. It's gets emptied once a week when I take the trash out. It does live in my basement so I'm not around it much except in the morning when I dispose of my very wet Goodnite. I wear a Goodnite under a cloth diaper through the night.

Kitty litter absorbs a lot of smells. I used it a couple of times.

I'm lazy... and a little gross. I usually get my used diapers and Pull-Ups in the kitchen trash can maybe once a week, but I currently have a small stash of them in my bathtub. The stink is telling me I better bag and toss them tomorrow.

I take mine out to the garbage every morning on my way to my car when I leave for work. Try it. No more odors guaranteed 😀

WABX said:
Why can't you take the out the following morning? I take mine out two days tops before they start to smell.

yoshiDL said:
Ziplock bags can work well for hiding the smell for a little bit, but there isn't much that can contain it longer than overnight. I would never suggest trying to hide a used diaper anymore than overnight as the longer they sit the worse the smell gets. Is there a certain reason why you hide them for so long? I usually use a ziplock bag and then a trash bag that I knot in the middle and that holds the smell really well.

NateSean said:
Seconding the suggestion of taking them out in the morning.

I always took mine out in a plastic grocery bag.

i can't take the used ones out regularly because i live in an area where trash cans must be kept in the garage (which is usually 80F +) and garbage pickup only occurs twice a week. i also live with other people who don't know i wear.

alexchar1982 said:
i can't take the used ones out regularly because i live in an area where trash cans must be kept in the garage (which is usually 80F +) and garbage pickup only occurs twice a week. i also live with other people who don't know i wear.

When I change out of a diaper I pull off the right two tapes. Then I roll it up and use the tapes to fasten it closed in a tight roll. Just toss that in the garbage can. It usually doesn't start to be noticeable unless they're in there for several days. But by then the (short kitchen) trash can is full and the bag needs to go out anyway.

And... twice a week? I've never heard of that. I just assumed most places picked up once a week, and a few I've heard do every other week.

But if I wasn't living alone, that would definitely restrict my wearing and cause issues with disposal. As it is now, it's not too uncommon for me to have a bag I've recently changed out of the can sitting in the kitchen waiting to be taken outside, where you can clearly see a colorful diaper rolled up through the semi transparent plastic of the bag. I noticed this one in my kitchen awhile ago and though it was worthy of a picture to demonstrate the risk of using a cheap trash bag ;)

https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=444&attachmentid=26418

I put my used diapers in a shopping bag in the closet, then after 3 or 4 of them are in there I tie the bag off and put it in the outside garbage so the smell isn't an issue.

If I go #2 in my diaper, I tie the bag shut immediately after changing, then spray the entire house with fabreeze.

Last edited:
Get some scented diaper bags or small bathroom trashcan bags.

dogboy said:
I use an ordinary kitchen metal garbage canister, the kind that uses a foot pedal to open and close the lid. I put a Fabreeze scented plastic kitchen bag in the canister and then put my used diapers in that. The lid closes tightly over the can and the lip of the bag which hangs outside the can and I never have any smell issues. It's gets emptied once a week when I take the trash out. It does live in my basement so I'm not around it much except in the morning when I dispose of my very wet Goodnite. I wear a Goodnite under a cloth diaper through the night.

Same here with using a kitchen can. Though I don't bother with scented bags, just regular ultra strong ones. I empty it every 4-5 days, and spray a little lysol in it before putting in a new bag. I do not have any problems with bad smells, and keep the can in my master closet.

alexchar1982 said:

I live in a shared house and there is always people in the kitchen so disposing of used nappies is difficult. I have to wait till night time to sneak down stairs and dispose of them, it becomes quite a challenge when I have missed a night because as you can imagine a back bag full of wet nappies is bulky and heavy. I don't like leaving them in my room because your nose gets accustomed to the smell so you might not be able to smell things others would.

Onesieman said:
If I go #2 in my diaper, I tie the bag shit

Appropriate typo. :p

bobbilly said:
I live in a shared house and there is always people in the kitchen so disposing of used nappies is difficult. I have to wait till night time to sneak down stairs and dispose of them, it becomes quite a challenge when I have missed a night because as you can imagine a back bag full of wet nappies is bulky and heavy. I don't like leaving them in my room because your nose gets accustomed to the smell so you might not be able to smell things others would.

Well yeah, leaving them out would smell. Even after just one day. Just get a trash can with a lid for your room, and take out the bag on garbage day.

This begs a bigger question though. Why are you actively trying to hide your diapers- in your own (shared) house? If you're paying rent, then theres no real reason to sneak around and stress over your own trash disposal.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Appropriate typo. :p

Haha, I just noticed it. It's fixed now.

alexchar1982 said:

If they take the trash out twice a week, is there a reason you can't plan around this?

alexchar1982 said:

It may be hard to schedule, but you might want to regulate your diaper usage to 1-2 days before the garbage is collected, so you can be confident that no one will be able to smell it through the week. I'd rather have to wait to wear than have someone sniff out dirty diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back