Thread: Catheters

Default Catheters

I had surgery on Thursday and have had a catheter ever since. It comes out Friday. Will I have control again shortly thereafter or will it take a few days?

You might have a little burning and urgency for the first couple of hours ,but return to normal within like 8 hours.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I find it helps a lot to keep the catheter lubed at the tip of your penis. This prevents any gripping or pinching that happens when you get those slight size change semi-arousals throughout the day.

Hopefully they gave you some lidocane "ointment", or failing that some lidocane gel (the gel dries out fast though, so repeat applications are necessary). If nothing was given to you for this you can also use plain petrolium gelly when in a literal pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I find it helps a lot to keep the catheter lubed at the tip of your penis. This prevents any gripping or pinching that happens when you get those slight size change semi-arousals throughout the day.

Hopefully they gave you some lidocane "ointment", or failing that some lidocane gel (the gel dries out fast though, so repeat applications are necessary). If nothing was given to you for this you can also use plain petrolium gelly when in a literal pinch.
    Hopefully for both accounts! With prostate removal there's a 30% chance I will never be aroused like that again. At best, it will take a few weeks/months. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience getting back to normal urinal urges or if I will be ic for a few days/weeks.

Didn't your Doctor have you do a meet and greet with a physical therapist who specializes in functional recovery prior to surgery ? That's major surgery that usually they want you to have a preexisting relationship with a therapist to go to afterwards if there is any problem. Other wise many men don't report a problem that maybe fixable .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I had to meet with a urologist after my back surgery but my problem was the opposite. I couldn't pee and had to catheterize myself for about six weeks until things kicked in and I could pee. During that time I had no sexual sensation or response, so gaining both back at the same time was such a relief.

I hope things work out for you and all is well.

There are too many factors with a prostatectomy to give an answer. It's typical to have a period of urinary incontinence, which may last hours, days, weeks, months, years, or the rest of your life. It may be light (spotting), or heavy (constant leakage). You may be dry while sleeping, but start to dribble as soon as you get out of bed. Because of the nerves affected by a prostatectomy, there is no predicting how you will come out on the other side.

I had urge incontinence before my prostatectomy. Because my cancer had metastasized, the doctor cut wide. As a result, I had to wear a catheter for two weeks to prevent scarring from affecting the flow. When the catheter was removed I did not have any leakage. Eight hours later I was in the emergency room because of retention--I couldn’t pee. I was catheterized for another six weeks. The second time the catheter was removed I had no control--I leaked constantly. It took months before the sphincter worked whatsoever. My urge incontinence is not as severe as before the surgery, for multiple reasons, but I now have stress incontinence. As I did NOT have nerve sparing surgery I have total ED as well. Pills can’t work, and I react badly to the injections.

What I found interesting was when the catheter came out and the dribbling began, it really bothered me. I had been in diapers for 15 years already, but this experience was completely new. I had no sensation of voiding, as there was no bladder pressure. I really had to monitor diaper saturation to avoid leaks.

Hope you do well with your recovery, both incontinence and ED. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.