Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapes come undone in certain positions?

Default Tapes come undone in certain positions?

Heyas all~!

I've noticed that if I sit on something, the way my legs are angled causes the bottom tapes of my diapers to gradually become detached and undone. I sometimes find myself sitting like L which especially doesn't help things.

I generally tape up my diapers in kind of an "X"-shape so all the tapes are pointed inwards like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/iAys6KO.png

But I notice that more often than not, taping so all tapes are pointing down seems to be a lot nicer for sitting on things, and diapers seem to survive leaning forward when sitting a lot more:
    http://i.imgur.com/KIPtlot.png

But it seems to be, I dunno, an awkward way to position them..? It also only helps that one type of position and doesn't really increase maneuverability.

So, are there any tips for getting the maximum maneuverability when wearing a diaper without the tapes coming undone?

How do you tape your diapers? How do you stop tapes from coming undone when sitting on things?

Edit: I guess I should mention I mostly wear Bambino Bellissimos and Rearz Inspire.
    Last edited by thingywhat; 21-Aug-2017 at 16:48. Reason: Added details about which diapers these are

I tape my diapers on with the tabs going straigh across. This is with confidry, and i seldom have problems with their tapes popping off.

Also make sure you are taping them on snug, but not tight. And lastly, the diaper itself should have a little looseness to it under the padding. This will allow for it to stretch/move with you and as it expands when wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    Also make sure you are taping them on snug, but not tight. And lastly, the diaper itself should have a little looseness to it under the padding. This will allow for it to stretch/move with you and as it expands when wet.
    I guess I don't really have an intuition for what snug is... But I can easily stick my hand through my leg gatherers. I also have a hard time taking off diapers without undoing the tapes, but it's possible.

When standing, I can barely feel any pressure around my legs at all. Though when sitting, I do notice it--but if I spread my legs about 30° apart I stop noticing it again.

Is this loose enough?

Quote Originally Posted by thingywhat View Post
    I guess I don't really have an intuition for what snug is... But I can easily stick my hand through my leg gatherers. I also have a hard time taking off diapers without undoing the tapes, but it's possible.

When standing, I can barely feel any pressure around my legs at all. Though when sitting, I do notice it--but if I spread my legs about 30° apart I stop noticing it again.

Is this loose enough?
    That's probably a little too loose actually. Generally you want to be able to get two fingers under the leg bands without any difficulty. You do want it to be tight enough to get a loose seal around your legs too though. Enough so your diaper won't leak.

One thing you didn't mention is what diaper you are using. It may just be the cut of the diaper not conforming to your body shaper. Have you tried other diapers to see if you get the same problem.

One thing you didn't mention is what diaper you are using. It may just be the cut of the diaper not conforming to your body shaper. Have you tried other diapers to see if you get the same problem.
    Oh, yeah... I forgot to add that to the OP initially. (It's there now though)

I mostly wear Bambino Bellissimos and Rearz Inspire, and they both seem to have similar problems when sitting. Specifically on office chairs when I do things on a computer.

Basically, I sit down, and after I've stood up again sometime later, the bottom tapes are often only attached by their front tips and become very susceptible to being detached in a way where I can't stick them to my diaper again.

Neither of these diapers have multiple tapes either, so if those get detached, that's it for that diaper.

This is why I like Bambino Ultrastrech and Magnifico's, due to their velcro tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by thingywhat View Post
    Oh, yeah... I forgot to add that to the OP initially. (It's there now though)

I mostly wear Bambino Bellissimos and Rearz Inspire, and they both seem to have similar problems when sitting. Specifically on office chairs when I do things on a computer.

Basically, I sit down, and after I've stood up again sometime later, the bottom tapes are often only attached by their front tips and become very susceptible to being detached in a way where I can't stick them to my diaper again.

Neither of these diapers have multiple tapes either, so if those get detached, that's it for that diaper.
    With bambino and similarly shaped diapers, tapes popping off is a very common problem. You are most likely wearing one size too small. Is the top waistband on these diapers extending up to your waistline (near your belly button)? You should also have a somewhat loose feel to the padding, while standing or sitting. If the padding feels tight or even stretched, then again it is undersized.

Even if it is though, I actually do not recommend you stay with this same brand and go up one size. This will only increase that leg gap you already have, and will most certainly lead to leak problems. Try testing out Northshore, Confidry, or Betterdry. They are cut to fit right when properly sized, and have tapes low enough to give a snug fit around the legs. This cut also makes sure there is ample room in the diaper so it won't stretch out when you sit down too.

be sure the plastic is not wrinkled when you put the tape down.

Oh, it isn't... But after sitting on things, it becomes wrinkled as it detaches.

With bambino and similarly shaped diapers, tapes popping off is a very common problem. You are most likely wearing one size too small. Is the top waistband on these diapers extending up to your waistline (near your belly button)? You should also have a somewhat loose feel to the padding, while standing or sitting. If the padding feels tight or even stretched, then again it is undersized.
    I don't think these are under-sized. I mean, these diapers not only reach my belly-button, they actually cover it too..! Also the tapes wrap around so there is only about a 3 inch gap between the ends. (On the top ones)
    I'm actually on the lower-end of the size I get, and the diapers themselves seem to fit quite well.

My problem is more the lack of tapes surviving my flexibility. I was hoping there was some protip I could use to make the way I bend my body passively to stop being a problem.
    Usually the top tapes are fine because it's not near anything that bends a lot, but the bottom ones come undone when my legs compress against them--that is, unless I angle the tapes down so they fold the same way the diaper does.

This actually solves most of my problems, but seems kinda awkward. That's why I was hoping for a second opinion about how taping is usually done.

Also, what do I mean by compression? I mean when you bend forwards more, the bottom tapes get compressed by your legs, like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/VDf1ygS.png

Of course, that's kinda extreme... But normal sitting has a similar effect to doing that--except slower.

Even if it is though, I actually do not recommend you stay with this same brand and go up one size. This will only increase that leg gap you already have, and will most certainly lead to leak problems. Try testing out Northshore, Confidry, or Betterdry. They are cut to fit right when properly sized, and have tapes low enough to give a snug fit around the legs. This cut also makes sure there is ample room in the diaper so it won't stretch out when you sit down too.
    I have tried a few actually: BetterDry, Crinklez, and Wellness Briefs seem to all do similar things.

Wellness Briefs seem to handle it the best of the three, and also have dual-tapes to boot!
    They end up getting stretched a lot around those parts though, so it makes me feel kinda--unnerved. As in, I feel like a blowout might happen. (It hasn't)

However, my main reason for wearing Bambinos and Rearz over the other kinds is mostly because I like them a lot! (And because they are nice in most situations)

Though, those velcro diapers 12srepaid mentioned sounded interesting, so I actually ordered some. (I had no idea there were velcro diapers I might be able to use!)

On the whole sizing thing, one size up from here is actually way too big for me. All four tapes end up overlapping each other just to keep the diaper from falling down.
    The leg gatherers also don't make much of a seal, so they leak easily too. (I've gotten a shipment with the wrong sized diapers before, so I've actually tried a few ways to make them work.)

I also have this issue. I suspect it’s more common amongst those whose tapes land on the front of the diaper, rather than at the sides, because in this position the tapes are closer to the crease that forms at the top of bent legs. Two things have helped me.

First, pointing the bottom tapes downward (like in your diagram, but maybe at an even steeper angle) makes a big difference. The goal is to have the tapes running parallel to that crease at the top of your legs (when bent), so that tension on the tapes is more evenly distributed.

Next, moving the bottom tapes up a bit has also helped. This seems to create a little more space between the bottom tapes and the top of the legs, so there’s more room for the legs to bend without interfering with the diaper.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.