Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I keep hearing all kinds of information and cautions about the eclipse on Monday including the end of the world.

The one thing I have not heard about is Conceptions.

This will prove The whole thing is out of this world!!!!

If my calculations are correct a child conceived during the solar eclipse will be do on (wait for it)

(drum roll)

May 4, 2018 Star Wars Day!!!!!!!!!

Hmm I don't want anymore kids but that is a tempting prospect to have a Star Wars baby to take to the cons :)

I did not care about the solar eclipse when I was riding my bike home from a friend's house when I was twelve (1963) and could not possibly care less about this year's solar eclipse either.

I am seriously aggravated by the solar eclipse. Too many out of towners cloging my towns roads. Gas prices have jumped, stores are price gouging, and i have to stand behind idiots arguing about how they dont like something in town or dont like the way we speak, or dont agree with our stores, like seriously people i want to go home and spend what little time i have with my kid not hear your 20 miniute rant over petty bs, just let me get my pepsi, pullups, and pizza and get home. Litterally some dumb california woman went off on my friend demanding an answer as to why our local grocery store is not an organic market.

This solar eclipe crowd has been a thorn in our [locals] side for the last week. These people are annoying and i cant wait for this thing to be over.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marka said:
FWIW, I think this would be more suitable in the Off Topic section, myself... *shrugs*

I thought of that also, but decided because of the "nature" of the basic subject.

Oh Well.

- - - Updated - - -

w0lfpack91 said:
I am seriously aggravated by the solar eclipse. Too many out of towners cloging my towns roads. Gas prices have jumped, stores are price gouging, and i have to stand behind idiots arguing about how they dont like something in town or dont like the way we speak, or dont agree with our stores, like seriously people i want to go home and spend what little time i have with my kid not hear your 20 miniute rant over petty bs, just let me get my pepsi, pullups, and pizza and get home. Litterally some dumb california woman went off on my friend demanding an answer as to why our local grocery store is not an organic market.

This solar eclipe crowd has been a thorn in our [locals] side for the last week. These people are annoying and i cant wait for this thing to be over.

I have to agree with this. It is like Universal Law has declared that everyone must be bigger jerks then during the Christmas shopping season!

Moved to off-topic. I'm not sure why it would belong in mature topics.

Wolfpack91, sorry you had to go though all that crap, especially from that lady from CA.

I'm mildly interested in the eclipse, but these people are insane.

12srepaid said:
Wolfpack91, sorry you had to go though all that crap, especially from that lady from CA.

I'm mildly interested in the eclipse, but these people are insane.
Ive met alot of californians. im from there originally i spent the first half of my life between prescott Arizona, Snowflake Arizona, and Culver City California (Los Angeleas area)

Most are good people but this woman was a mega B*t*h. We are a fairly small town out here in West KY. Most people here are still 10-25 Years behind the social curve. With internet and social media the gap is closing fast but in reality we are a diffrent culture than the west, my friend i spoke of has never in 28 years gone further than 60 miles of his house, its true of quite a few people here. He has been at that store for 13 years started as a bagger in 10th grade now hes the manager. But he has never dealt with that before its an unheard of attitude for out here.

But really most everything we have is far more fresh and organic than anything she could get out west. Most the meat in the freezer was a living cow on a local farm no more than 1 week before. 75% of the fresh food in that store we grow or raise ourselves in the area. She just couldn't grasp the concept that we don't need this little fancy organic stamp because we literally know where everything came from, Heck I could take you out to the paddock Where the ribeye steak spent its life and can let you pet its children.

HogansHeroes said:
Moved to off-topic. I'm not sure why it would belong in mature topics.

Because they knew I would reply and here it is:

I'm more excited about the full lunar eclipse on October 31st when the sun passes between the earth and the moon, blocking our sight of the moon. I wonder what sun tan lotion will be going for on Ebay?

dogboy said:
Because they knew I would reply and here it is:

I'm more excited about the full lunar eclipse on October 31st when the sun passes between the earth and the moon, blocking our sight of the moon. I wonder what sun tan lotion will be going for on Ebay?

:facepalm: ok dogboy im man enough to admit, you got me for a second with this one.

I was half way through typing it into google before it dawned on me the sun is not only too large but also i derped on the solar system arrangement.

I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER.

But legit though, WTF is up with the 5th grade curriculum. Lol

w0lfpack91 said:
:facepalm: ok dogboy im man enough to admit, you got me for a second with this one.

I was half way through typing it into google before it dawned on me the sun is not only too large but also i derped on the solar system arrangement.

I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER.

But legit though, WTF is up with the 5th grade curriculum. Lol

Haha.....I was thinking about a lunar eclipse with all the news coverage on the solar eclipse and for that fleeting moment, I envisioned the sun passing between the earth and the moon and I had to laugh over the error of my ways! Well you know, that's how all those dinosaurs perished millions of years ago during one of those damn lunar eclipses! They had their dark glasses but it just didn't help at all. They should have bought the sunscreen.

I will admit to being excited about the eclipse, but then I'm that kind of geek. I traveled to the Oregon coast last week to see Oldest Daughter, who moved there a few months ago. Could have stayed for the Big Event, I suppose—the thing begins right there, after all—but finding a hotel this week was nigh on impossible. So hubby and I started back with no real plan except to wander our way back toward the midwest more or less along the path of totality.

It is really incredible what's going on out here. Oregon is a bloody nightmare. There's this gigantic eclipse festival in central Oregon that lasts a whole week and I think something like 200K people are going there, on a plateau in the middle of a prairie in the middle of nowhere. Because they had clogged the roads so badly for days, the locals closed the main road and detoured everyone to a back road leading more directly to the event. Only we weren't going to the event, didn't know about the event, hadn't the foggiest notion of where the heck in Oregon we actually were sixty miles later when we got to the event site, and ended up finally arriving back on the main road after what had been a three-hour detour. Oregon has lost its collective mind: every rancher seems to be offering up his property for eclipse camping. PortaPotties dot the landscape. It's nuts!

Now Wyoming, where I am tonight, is somewhat better, but probably only because of its lack of proximity to California. There are still tons of folks here from Utah and Colorado. And of course those who live here who don't live in the totality zone. As for us, tonight we're in Cody. Tomorrow we're going to Gillette. We have to bounce around a bit because of hotel price gouging. (I've seen Motel 6s and Super 8s and even cheap dive motels charging $400-550 a night for this weekend on booking.com. And they are selling out.) We'll have a two hour drive Monday morning to Casper. We figure it will likely take four or five, so we'll leave very early. As I said, it's nuts. But I wouldn't miss it.

:)

Didn't buy the glasses when I should have and can't find them anymore. I'll probably make a simple pinhole viewer and take a quick two-second glance when it gets to be about its fullest. Where I live it's only going to be about 80%.

I don't think I'd travel for it even if I had the money. I'm not quite that excited.

Starrunner said:
I can't get this song out of my head this morning.

It's been in my head for weeks.

Anither good viewer is to use a round magnifying glass. Hold it far enough away from a flat and smooth surface so the beam is not tightly focused. You will get a perfect outline of the sun and with just the right distance it will be very clear too.

After another round of running around, this time looking for welding shades, we discovered my dad had a helmet with shade adjustable to 12 and 13 in the garage. Various sources are giving me different information about what is safe, from 12 to 14, but I'm going to use it for some short-term viewing anyway.

It was impressive with the glasses. Without them, I'm not sure it would have been too exciting in Seattle. Still quite bright despite almost total coverage. I guess with something as powerful as the sun, if you can't cover the whole thing, it's just not enough. It was noticeably cooler but aside from the view through the glasses, I wouldn't have easily noticed the difference.

It's just past the point of fullest coverage where I live. I got some decent looks with the welding helmet but because it is auto-darkening and lightning, the shade would flicker on and off especially as it got more covered, requiring me to quickly look away. So probably burnt my retinas anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back