Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "what a muppet!" thread

Exclamation The "what a muppet!" thread

ok... so i'm at work just now.

bout 2 hours ago (quarter to 11), this really tall guy with massive rocked out hair walks in, looking for a suitcase for his wife.

He looks at one and asks how much it is, and I say "it's quite expensive... 119"...

so he looks around at all the cases on offer, i talk him thru the different ranges, and decides he's gonna stick with the 119 one.

I run it through the till, have him pay, take off the sale tags, etc etc...

He then shakes my hand and says "thanks very much, appreciate it" and leaves the shop.

It's about 5 to 11 by this point and as he leaves, my work colleague, Jo, walks in.

Jo: "did you just sell him that case?"
    me: "yeah... why?"
    Jo: "Do you know who that was???"
    me: "uh... no"
    Jo: "That was Brian May from Queen!"
    me:

Soooo.... i've spent the last 2 hours kicking myself.
    And despite shaking his hand, I told a multi-millionaire that 119 was EXPENSIVE! *feels even more of a twat*

Basically, so I don't feel like the only plonker on Earth, has anyone else been in a situation like this - where you've unknowingly been involved with a "big deal" or missed the perfect chance because you're oblivious of it?

edit: yeah i posted it twice, cos i made a spelling error in the thread name the first time and didn't know how to change it... oh how the stupidity levels are rising today.

Jag

Many famous people like it more when people play it cool. I was actually on the same plane as Mick Jagger about a week ago. I just played it cool and kept quiet. Talking to them just makes you seem more like a fan with no self-control. You want to leave them on a positive note, or none at all.

I am so jealous you not only met Brian May, but conversed with him! The most famous person I've ever met was a guy from a local morning show lol...

You definitely did keep your cool, Dash! I'm sure he appreciated the fact that you treated him like a normal dude as opposed to a famous rock star.

yeah, if i knew it was him i would have been too shocked to actually offer any help lol

it was quite weird cos everybody just kinda looked over like "oooh, it's Brian May and Anita Dobson" but just left him be

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    Many famous people like it more when people play it cool. I was actually on the same plane as Mick Jagger about a week ago. I just played it cool and kept quiet. Talking to them just makes you seem more like a fan with no self-control. You want to leave them on a positive note, or none at all.
    O.O awesome! so did you not speak to him at all? quite right though, it's attention they don't (necessarily) want and bombarding them with talk and questions would probably irritate them.

Hehehe! That's so funny!

I can't think of anything that I've done that's as plonkerish as that... But I must have that "I'm a plonker, I'm a plonker!" feeling at least once a week.

lol my house phone number use to be only a digit off the eage's from U2 and one time i got a call from bono but i was young and didnt know who he was i just said "wrong number" after i found out who he was i was kicking myself lol (i though the irish were the only ones to use the word "muppet")

I sat in the same row as George Straight at the rodeo a few years ago.. But I didn't say anything to him, or even acknowledge him, because I dislike country music with a passion..

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
    lol my house phone number use to be only a digit off the eage's from U2 and one time i got a call from bono but i was young and didnt know who he was i just said "wrong number" after i found out who he was i was kicking myself lol (i though the irish were the only ones to use the word "muppet")

how did you find out it was Bono? I used to freaking love U2! to be fair, you were too young to know so you have an excuse...
    I'm 18 and can't recognise a rock god when i see one

Muppet.... hmmm. nope - been used for as long as I can remember around here lol