Diapers in cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommycombs

Est. Contributor
So I noticed a trend that goes back as far as I can recall that in cartoons, more often than not, diapered characters wear cloth diapers usually with one big pin in the front. If I'm not mistaken, those are supposed to be triangle fold diapers, which would not fit worth a damn and would give you a serious gunslinger stance.
It's a stupid thing for me to complain about, but I wonder why it is that even today we see this in cartoons. Patrick on SpongeBob even diapers himself this way. Have animators in the last forty years not seen disposables with tapes? Yes, I know there are exceptions (my avatar) but even then it's still usually a cloth design, sometimes with a knot or knots tied at the side.

Heck, it's usually just one cloth diaper anyway, so it doesn’t do much good, no matter how the diaper is tied. But then again, its just a cartoon, so why should it matter anyway?

I can think of a few either way:

Cloth:
-Camp Lazlo: In one episode, Raj becomes so lazy and sedentary he regresses to an infant. Clam puts him in a triangle cloth diaper when that happens (this was fetish fuel to me as a kid, and inspired me to make improvised diapers)
-Tom and Jerry has a fair amount of diaper jokes, almost always with cloth, though this makes sense due to how old the show was
-The aforementioned Spongebob

Disposable:
-My Little Pony has pretty lackluster diaper designs (actually, baby ponies just look hideous anyways), being just white coloring around the baby's waist, but I'm pretty sure they're disposable.
-Regular Show's ABDL-infamous episode "Do or Diaper" ended with Mordecai in a disposable diaper
-Although nobody was seen wearing them, The Amazing World of Gumball had an episode where he babysat his sister and attempted to put her in a diaper, which I'm pretty sure was disposable.
-In a similar situation, Generation O! had a bedwetting episode which showed disposable diapers, though nobody wore them
-Rugrats, obviously

I think its because these are usually played for comedy purposes, and cloth diapers would look more stereotypical and exaggerated. ABDLs being concerned over this is like veterans watching war movies.

My pet peeve is that cloth diapers are never shown with plastic pants. In fact, before joining this site and becoming more informed, I thought plastic pants were optional.

Well actually.... cloth diapers were used without a diaper cover for hundereds of years before the first rubber cover was invented. So in a way it is an option, a messy leaky one, but still.

And cartoons are drawn specifically for the visuals. A cloth diaper looks more... stunnig, when you can see the pin (and pee stains), than with a cover over it. Plus it's easier to draw too.

And it leaves many little puddles, instead of one big one.

--sf

Some cartoons that had diapers with tapes:

Family Guy: Brian wore a disposable diaper because Lois wanted him to use the potty instead of the lawn. In later seasons you see Stewie in only a diaper with tapes and multiple diaper changes.
Regular show: Episode "Do or Diaper;" Muscle Man makes a bet with Mordecai to see if he can kiss Margaret by the next night, the loser had wear diapers for a week. Mordecai lost and had to wear disposables while mowing the grass.
The Simpsons: More recent diaper changes with Maggie has her in a disposable.
Rugrats: All the kids except Angelica and Susie had diapers with tapes.

Cartoons with cloth diapers:

Ren & Stimpy: The episode "Big baby scam" had both Ren and Stimpy wearing tied-up diapers.
Tom & Jerry: You see Nibbles in a tied-up cloth nappy in some of the cartoons.
The Simpsons and Family Guy: Same deal as above, but in the earlier seasons the had pinned cloth diapers on.
Loony Toons: Most memorable one "Baby Bottleneck" every baby (including Daffy and Porky) get put into a tied-up cloth diaper.

There's more example, but I can't list them all.

16128036_1426380544059870_1325193567_n.jpg

Mr. B is pretty cool about it, I still use him as an Avatar in a lot of places.

Attachments

• Mr. B2.png
    Mr. B2.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 687
OK, some more good examples to show why I'm wrong most of the time. LOL. As a kid though, I would see these single pin diapers in cartoons and tried to figure out how it was supposed to work. I know using pins goes back to at least the Victorian age, as I've seen images from period catalogs.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
My pet peeve is that cloth diapers are never shown with plastic pants. In fact, before joining this site and becoming more informed, I thought plastic pants were optional.

From a different time, this cartoon shows cloth diapers with rubber pants.

https://vimeo.com/90508001

I think you can still see Tom and Jerry, "Baby Puss" on You Tube. In it, the little girl diapers Tom in a cloth diaper and then makes him wear plastic pants. Later in the cartoon, the bad street cats come in through the window and torment Tom. At one point they pore water into his plastic pants, simulating Tom wetting them. As a kid, every time I saw this cartoon I desperately wanted to be wearing a diaper.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this.

All Hail King Julian: episode "Diapers Are The New Black" features disposable diapers with tapes and also featured some diaper designs.

dont forget....
F is for family...kenny
and brickleberry.....both have many diapered and diaper shots. Denzel dates older women, and keeps diapers on the shelf in the living room.

i know it's not a cartoon, but the Little Rascals had quite a few diaper scenes. I still think Hal Roach had a rubber fetish.
youtube little rascals "forgotten babies". that's the one that I spent a lot of time trying to copy in my youth.

Truly ancient ('50s): Baby Huey.

I remember a rug rats episode where Angelica got jealous of the babies so she decided to become one again. She regressed back to baby things including wearing a diaper. That episode always stuck with me.

Popeye cartoons had Sweet Pea who was always wearing a cloth diaper and rubber pants under a gown.

dondl2 said:
Popeye cartoons had Sweet Pea who was always wearing a cloth diaper and rubber pants under a gown.

I only recall seeing sweet pea in the white (B&W) or red (color) gown, I don't ever recall seeing a diaper or rubber pants in any of those old cartoons?

That and it always seemed a bit weird that the "gown" was this long flowing thing almost as big as a blanket that trailed behind him, kinda made him look like a worm.

in many of the cartoons Sweet Pea would crawl off some where and get in trouble, end up having rubber pants caught on some thing looking like a rubber band ready to snap at any moment

I really liked the episode on Arthur, Jenna's Bedtime Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back