Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Postpone election? Squash 1st Amendment?

Default Postpone election? Squash 1st Amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by ONPOLITICS Newsletter
    A poll found that 52% of people who identify as or lean Republican said they would support postponing the 2020 election to ensure that only eligible citizens could vote if it was proposed by President Trump.

However, the results shouldn't be simply dismissed, the academics said, because they indicated that there was a high number of Republicans who were willing to buck democratic norms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    On 17 July, the department of justice served a website-hosting company, DreamHost, with a search warrant for every piece of information it possessed that was related to a website that was used to coordinate protests during Donald Trumpís inauguration.
    Just what the hell is going on in our country right now???

Whether or not you believe congress would approve of postponing the election, the fact that it exists as a possibility cannot be ignored and must be eliminated as a possiblity, even if it takes a constitutional ammendment. Saying that people are willing to "buck democratic norms" is exactly the same as saying they are willing to buck democracy itself.

As I understand it, the warrant covers not only people active on the site but also every single visitor to the site. This, too, cannot be allowed to stand. Even if the courts ultimately shoot it down I believe it is still important to emphasize to our representatives that this activity cannot be tolerated. This blatant attack will obviously have a seriously chilling affect on our right to free speech even if it is eventually determined to be unconstitutional. The DOJ should never have instigated this attack in the first place.

Do you agree?

Whole heartedly. And Republicans keep wondering why Democrats and Independents hate them more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Just what the hell is going on in our country right now???

[...]The DOJ should never have instigated this attack in the first place.

Do you agree?
    I do agree... What is it that the DOJ expects to find and do with this information, anyway?
    One would tend to think it for sussing out deliberate instigation of intended violence and obstruction - Any words to that point?

Is there any historical precedent to a postponement of this level of voting?

They have 3.75 - years (+/-) remaining, to figure out legitimate voters... why the hell are they discussing postponing anything at this point?

If, DOJ is going to investigate protest coordination on the basis of presumed national security... then, let's start with the beginning of the internet and other media and mediums; that any sort of protest coordination has occurred in... (sarcasim)...

It seems to me like a bunch of cloak-and-dagger, political tantrums and retaliation, BS - to me... any guesses as to who that points a finger too?

If, we survive any of this... it'll be interesting to see what the take-away lessons become...

All hail Kim Jong Trump or, beware his wrath...

It's seems to me that what's happening in our country is international politics between two nuclear armed super-powers.

It's pretty screwed up, and it's why I don't love that both countries are so bellicose.

This idea that five million illegal immigrants voted in the last election is utter nonsense. This is Trump's narcissistic mental illness taking an ugly turn. I'll have to research this when I get time, but I think the rules of terms and elections is somehow connected to the U. S. Constitution, so I can't see this happening.

Today Trump reversed his second statement concerning the riots in Charlottesville, 50 miles from where I live, and more Republicans are distancing themselves from him. He's showing himself more and more to be a racist. I've also noticed that his cabinet is changing with more of his original members leaving. Steve Bannon will be next, and I wonder if more will be replaced by Generals from the military. Subtly, the military is taking over the Executive branch. When and if that happens we can say good-bye to democracy. But considering the circumstances, maybe it needs to happen. We're now in dangerous uncharted territory. I know I'm going out on a limb with this statement, and I'm just throwing it out there to provoke thought. We're not there yet, but it all makes me wonder.

And people wonder why I call these far right wingers and die-hard Trump supporters fascists and authoritarians! These people wonder why they're considered to be a basket of deplorables! You couldn't come up with a better example of far right wingers being authoritarians. Postponing elections is the fascist shit they do in third world countries. I'm not concerned that they'll actually be able to do this, so I'm not worried about this actually happening. But it really does show their true colors inside and just how bad and nasty these people are.

Postponing elections is a direct attack on democracy itself. In every democracy we, the citizens, transfer our power to the elected representatives. But the deal is: It's only for ONE term! Then we get to chose again...power must go back to be transferred again. Frankly said, exceeding their term means losing their democratic legitimization.
    That's a no-no.
    I'm really sorry for you guys in the US.

smh

USA Today, Washington Post. I'm sure the poll is bulletproof. Questions weren't framed to get the answers they wanted, and sampling wasn't stacked either. <sarcasm> That's assuming the story wasn't completely made up.

More fake news trying to stir things up and capture gullible eyeballs. It's becoming more and more clear that media is the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    This idea that five million illegal immigrants voted in the last election is utter nonsense. This is Trump's narcissistic mental illness taking an ugly turn. I'll have to research this when I get time, but I think the rules of terms and elections is somehow connected to the U. S. Constitution, so I can't see this happening.
    I agree with you that it would most likely be unconstitutional and I can't see it happening either. Unfortunately, we said the same thing about Trump's election.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    smh

USA Today, Washington Post. I'm sure the poll is bulletproof. Questions weren't framed to get the answers they wanted, and sampling wasn't stacked either. <sarcasm> That's assuming the story wasn't completely made up.

More fake news trying to stir things up and capture gullible eyeballs. It's becoming more and more clear that media is the real problem.
    Our own president has not, and will not, rule out the possibility of 'postponing" elections. This is what makes it serious.

It is "just" a poll right now so I don't think it's time to panic. Being wary is still a good idea. Actually doing this could cause people to take up arms and while this would be terrible in terms of the cost in lives, it seems more and more likely as time goes on. I just hope that this is not needed to restore democracy and that we can look back on this later as a "What the hell were we thinking?" moment.