Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on possible IBS

Default Questions on possible IBS

For the past 4 years I've been following my gluten free diet very vigilantly so that my celiac disease doesn't make my life any harder than it has to. But as of the past few months it seems that something else is up with my stomach. I've narrowed my symptoms down to IBS, and I've got a doctors appointment lined up at the end of this month.

It seems that any time my anxiety begins to act up, along with eating red meats and dairy, I begin cramping and having frequent bm's after. While it might just be the DL in me talking, I've been thinking that wearing diapers could possibly help me out quite a bit. I've had issues with some bowel leakage, enough to warrant a change of clothes, and some close calls with urgent bm's (sorry if that's TMI). And I imagine wearing diapers could offer some piece of mind to calm my anxiety. Is this common practice for some? Do many of you do this to manage IBS? While I'm still uncertain what the underlying cause is, would any of you recommend this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anxiety in itself is a major trigger for IBS. If wearing a diaper helps to calm you down, then that alone would be a good enough reason. Add in they can actually save you from an unexpected bm, then that's another good reason to wear them.

Just because you like weating a diaper doesn't diminish your need for them. That would be like saying it's a guilty pleasure wearing shoes just because you like shoes.

Agreed with Slomo.

Win-win in my opinion but you'll likely be changing very very often depending on the type of IBS you have. Haven't done it yet because of the anxiety of being caught, but I've considered doing the same since twice now at work I was hit by a sudden extremely urgent need to use the restroom but being unable to stop what I was doing.

I also suspect having IBS but don't have health insurance nor can afford medical care so I'm sort of on my own. It's triggered by different things for different people but what personally triggers mine is stress, anxiety, and a change in diet / frequency of eating. Excessive sugar and sodium seems to be a trigger in my case. I don't know of any medications that have helped with the discomfort as of yet so if anyone has any suggestions please I'd love to know. Pepto and ibuprofen hasn't done a thing. Eating a more rounded diet, trying to keep calm, and getting plenty of rest is my way of dealing with it; perhaps it can help you too?

Having IBS-D (diarrhea-type) , myself... it's been substantially reduced by avoiding especially highly processed foods...

Stress, excessive use of spices, alcohol, tobacco and, caffeine, too much dairy and yes, red-meats in particular too...

Adding probiotics and both primary types of fiber and, reducing Ibuprofen (i.e. Advil), Acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) as much as possible and, using MSM powder (Methylsulfonylmethane) as an adjunct to anti-inflammatory agents...

Timing your nutritionally balanced meals, in smaller amounts more frequently - will help to reduce the frequency and severity... a diaper will often catch enough to spare your clothes and a bit more dignity however... taking preventative measures under the guidance of a physician and by employing strategic methods of compensation... will at least help prevent blowing 4-quarts of mud, in a single catastrophic eruption... Which no sat-in diaper, is going to be able to handle all that well anyway - not to mention... a mess like that, in a diaper... is still quite the interruption and requires extensive clean-up irrespective of laundering concerns...

If you want to crap your diaper on purpose (we've had plenty of forum discussions on this happening in public especially, when deliberate)... go for it if you must however, get the medical root of this more resolved as it's likely affecting your nutritional absorption too...

Puns to follow: I recommend using a diaper strictly as back-up alone not, as the go-to or (go-in) defacto... particularly in public settings...

I used to have to wait for 1 - 2 episodes to pass before, I would dare leave the house...

You can get better and, have more diaper fun - just separate the medical issues from the sport/fantasy/fun/naughty issues, first...

What's in your diet?
    -Marka

Thanks for the replies!
    One of my accidents was at work sadly enough. I work in a grocery store so once I'm on register, I'll probably be stuck on there for a while. But I'll definitely wait till my appointment before I buy any diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophuur View Post
    Thanks for the replies!
    One of my accidents was at work sadly enough. I work in a grocery store so once I'm on register, I'll probably be stuck on there for a while. But I'll definitely wait till my appointment before I buy any diapers.

Well... if it helps you (psychologically, emotionally or, otherwise) - no reason to wait on diapers or, you can at least use diaper doubler's, maxi-pads, paper-towels (whatever)... to save from the skid marks, at least...

What, how much and, when you eat... can go a long ways to prevent a mess too... or at least reduce the magnitude and frequency...

So yeah - no, wear a diaper anyway... just don't make that be the cure or, feel like you have to have a special requirement to wear one... Just maybe treat them more like regular underwear- use the methods above to prevent skid marks in your diaper and, have the added benefit of greater protection... should things cut loose, anyway...

I didn't mean that you shouldn't have fun or comfort too... just, take care of the medical/health issues... from a medical/health perspective... rather than confusing it with AB/DL inclinations... right?

If you just feel like you have to justify/rationalize wearing diapers - forget about it... the fact, that you want to, is justification enough... enjoy it!

Now, working in public and with food, etc... and, being stuck at a register... I would sincerely hope and wish - that you will refrain from and prevent messing yourself at work... and, if it might or will happen... you've got to make arrangements with your supervisor... that you can immediately get thoroughly cleaned-up/changed and a solid hand-washing... and/or be immediately excused... Let them know that you're (will be) seeing a doctor for this too...

You can prearrange a code word like "I have a 10/100 in progress" or "code-6", etc... so that your coworkers and customers are not aware of what the situation means yet, your supervisor will know to basically drop everything and get you free from the register, immediately... Hopefully preventing an actual mess...

In my worst days with IBS-D... I had anywhere from 5 - 190 seconds before, impact... Talk about sliding into 'home' with the 'bases' loaded - damn! I swear that I was making 10-foot strides while removing lower articles of clothing... I didn't always make it in time...

Then, there were the times where I was on a road with no shoulder/pull-outs or, stuck in traffic/red-lights, etc... all I could do was convulse/cramp-up, explode and, cry... and, turn a round, go home in defeat...

There are some kinds of medication available... I don't remember what kind I had... it basically made it not hurt as much... it didn't fix the problem...

Again, if you're not simply trying to justify wearing diapers... change and moderate your diet with your doctor's assistance and approval...

Otherwise, wear diapers without shame or justification...

Hope that helps, more...
    -Marka
    Last edited by Marka; 15-Aug-2017 at 22:32.

@Marka, amazing post! Not sure how to endorse/like a reply, but I appreciate your comment! I had a scare today so I'll be heading to my local pharmacy tomorrow.

Another question to add to this, they have a few attends styles (wasteband style for example) and Tranquility ATN's would those be good for BM protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Christophuur View Post
    @Marka, amazing post! Not sure how to endorse/like a reply, but I appreciate your comment! I had a scare today so I'll be heading to my local pharmacy tomorrow.

Another question to add to this, they have a few attends styles (wasteband style for example) and Tranquility ATN's would those be good for BM protection?

Thank you, Christophuur!

See HERE for Our 'Reputation-System' which is a variation of liking or endorsing a post. You might not be able to see the link under each post that looks like [* Rep +/-], from Tapatalk?... When you hover over it you'll see "Add to this user's reputation"...

As far as BM protection... it's mostly down to trial and error...

There's volume, consistency/viscosity, rate of evacuation, body shapes and dimensions and, whether you're sitting, standing or lying, etc... and then, the variations on the protection and diapers themselves...

The ATN's tend to be good at absorbing highly fluid materials such as urine... I probably wouldn't choose those for anything thicker than the consistency of say, soft-serve unless, urinary incontinence is a greater factor...

Not sure on the price points yet, I would hazard a guess that the waistband/pull-up style might be more suitable for your purpose... another advantage is that the waistband types generally give more, overall which can prevent a buildup of what we might call hydraulic forces inside of the garment thus, making it less likely to be forced out... defeating the intentions of containment...

I guess though, I assumed the ATN's you mentioned, were a tape on brief...

I have not tried the pull-up styles in either ATN's or Attends... For moderate to heavy voiding - I found both of their tape-on briefs to be comparable in quality and function...

I hate to get graphic and, I am quite a bit of a poo-phobe, myself... Yet, unless you're evacuating very runny material in copious quantities... you'll tend to want to go with less padding and a relaxed fit garment that functions a bit more like a butt-bag rather than a snug fitting, highly padded absorber...

That's my dos centavos for now,
    -Marka

The leg guards on the ATN's aren't as high as most AB/DL diapers but I'd say they'd be enough for most emergency diaper messing situations. In saying that I wouldn't be in a hurry to sit down in it or anything unless it's a firm/ish load but a diarrhea messing is gonna be bad news in almost any diaper if you have to sit down if it's a big one.