Making the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mango

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey all!

Like many others here, I've finally decided that it's time to start wearing diapers all the time again now. I've had varying degrees of overflow incontinence my whole life, due to urethral blockages I was born with and recurring strictures and it's back again. I've had surgery to correct it a few times and am trying to avoid having a full urethroplasty anytime soon. I have been relatively accident free since college, but over the last 6 months, they have increased quite a bit (always in public, of course!).

While not nearly as significant as many people on here, it has gotten bad enough that I don't trust myself leaving home without some type of diaper on. They certainly make me feel more confident and not so worried about bathrooms and such.

I'll probably wear a mix of diapers and some pull-ups, depending on my day, but no more regular underwear. I feel like I'm resigning to it somewhat, but I think it is the right choice for me now.

If anyone has any sage advice or encouragement, I'd welcome it!

I can appreciate your reluctance to get the surgery done. I've got a full urethroplasty coming up, probably in about a month and a half. I watched the surgery on youtube, and holy crap! Not to mention being laid up for 3-4 weeks afterwards too.

Unfortunately my stricture has me 100% blocked, and unable to pee at all, so it's not really a choice for me. (Fyi I have an emergency suprapubic cath temporarily implanted so I can still drain my bladder for now).

Hey, you have to do what you need to do. You have the choice to either wear or risk wet pants. Now you've made your decision, own it. The idea of not worrying about bathrooms really appeals to me even with what drawbacks there are in having to go diapered all of the time. I'm looking at having to go diapered regularly and it is both frightening and exhilarating. I will try to approach this with a certain amount of humor and to try to find the silver lining in this situation. I suppose if we go in thinking it'll be horrible we can end up making it horrible so I'm attempting to keep positive.

That sucks that it got 100% blocked and they had to put in a suprapubic. I'm not in any immediate danger of a total blockage, mine tends to close back up pretty slowly.

I hope the surgery goes well for you! Success rates are really high, but it is certainly not for the faint of heart!

- - - Updated - - -

PaddedDeist said:
Hey, you have to do what you need to do. You have the choice to either wear or risk wet pants. Now you've made your decision, own it. The idea of not worrying about bathrooms really appeals to me even with what drawbacks there are in having to go diapered all of the time. I'm looking at having to go diapered regularly and it is both frightening and exhilarating. I will try to approach this with a certain amount of humor and to try to find the silver lining in this situation. I suppose if we go in thinking it'll be horrible we can end up making it horrible so I'm attempting to keep positive.

Yep! Definitely staying positive. It's not the first time I've had to wear 'em. I'll try to enjoy it as much as I can! ;)

Making the switch to nappies 24/7 was the right decision for me. I have no regrets.

Yes, it's much better to just wear them and feel safe than to abandon this idea. The crucial thing to remember here in my opinion is just not being afraid of it or not caring about it in a negative way. From what your post I can definitely say that you don't have any problems with feeling any stress or embarrassment that comes with wearing diapers. I know a lot about this anxiety as even though mine didn't come from wearing diapers, but I was too stressed about many other things life. My father had huge anxiety about being IT, but he just let it go and follows the idea of: Hey, so what that I'm wearing diapers? There is noting wrong it. Good luck and let them be comfortable for you!

Mango,

If I can offer any advice it's that we make WAYYYY too big of a deal about this. Society sucks when it comes to the diaper stigma. I had anxiety for a long time about it. Finally I said "who gives a shit what underwear I have? It's none of their goddamn business". I sleep SO much better with diapers than without, and to me it's normal now. In your case you have NOTHING, NOTHING WHATSOEVER to be ashamed about. Go, wear diapers and live your life. If someone cares or says something, it's a reflection on what a shallow person they are versus what good or bad choices you've made.

Good choice on making the switch to diapers.
This is the main reason why I'm a DL, because I respect how diapers help people who may need them, whether you're young or old.

I guess we're all here to support each other, whether we wear by choice, or not. You do what you have to do to keep from being embarrassed. I have IBS issues that seem to be getting worse, as the years go on. I like to pee freely, but shudder at the thought of involuntary poop. I'm in "something" to protect me, for as long as it makes sense. My wife cringes at the thought of fecal issues, but it's out of my control. Already take two Imodium a day to keep IBS at Bay....

I did this. Went from pads, to pull-ups to diapers, which I've been in for almost a year now. I think pull-ups are underrated, but if the goal is increased confidence when you're not near a restroom (instead of total 24/7 protection) I'd recommend using pads for as long as possible. I noticed that I subconsciously began to rely on the pull-ups more than was probably necessary when I first started wearing them, and as changing frequency increased and I finally switched over to diapers, I found that I couldn't easily go "back" so to speak. That said, pull-ups were a great in-between, and if it weren't for having to completely strip to change them I'd probably still use them instead of the bulky plastic-backed diapers I wear now. Try all three and see what works best for you!

inconsurferdude said:
I did this. Went from pads, to pull-ups to diapers, which I've been in for almost a year now. I think pull-ups are underrated, but if the goal is increased confidence when you're not near a restroom (instead of total 24/7 protection) I'd recommend using pads for as long as possible. I noticed that I subconsciously began to rely on the pull-ups more than was probably necessary when I first started wearing them, and as changing frequency increased and I finally switched over to diapers, I found that I couldn't easily go "back" so to speak. That said, pull-ups were a great in-between, and if it weren't for having to completely strip to change them I'd probably still use them instead of the bulky plastic-backed diapers I wear now. Try all three and see what works best for you!

I think this definitely happens. it's hard when you don't always need the protection but are wearing it. Should you try harder to make it? Is it ok to just let the leaks happen since you're wearing anyway? I used to stress about that. But once things got bad enough that I needed real diapers I decided I'm done stressing over it. I use my diaper 100% of the time for urination now. I don't even think about trying to rush to the restroom. Let's say I urinate 15 times per day (yay frequency), I could probably make it to a bathroom 5 of those times. But it's not worth the hassle of trying to figure out which times will apply. It's just easier to use the diaper. I don't have to deal with rushing to the bathroom, untaping, retaping and having a less than ideal fit. I'd rather just wear and change every 4-6 hours and that's that.

I agree with you. I have OAB/Urge IC (10 sec notice) day and night. It is much practical to wear diapers and be well protected and change less often than pads. Remember you have a medical problem and there is nothing wrong about getting the protection you need. Since I do that my family, relatives and friends all support it and nobody sees a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MassIncon said:
I think this definitely happens. it's hard when you don't always need the protection but are wearing it. Should you try harder to make it? Is it ok to just let the leaks happen since you're wearing anyway? I used to stress about that. But once things got bad enough that I needed real diapers I decided I'm done stressing over it. I use my diaper 100% of the time for urination now. I don't even think about trying to rush to the restroom. Let's say I urinate 15 times per day (yay frequency), I could probably make it to a bathroom 5 of those times. But it's not worth the hassle of trying to figure out which times will apply. It's just easier to use the diaper. I don't have to deal with rushing to the bathroom, untaping, retaping and having a less than ideal fit. I'd rather just wear and change every 4-6 hours and that's that.

I tried fighting it for years. And that's in spite of wanting and loving diapers. And guess what, it didn't work anyways. I only brought myself more discomfort and grief for trying to not use my diapers. My advice, just get diapers you know will work for you full needs, and use them as you want to. If you don't want to for some of those times, and the timing is good, then use a bathroom.

I have been a life long bedwetter and worn diapers to bed since I was 7. About 5 years ago I started having daytime accidents and wearing pull-ups. It was hard to change at work having to strip and put a dry one on. My wife suggested I wear a diaper instead and make changing easier. I have been in diapers 24/7 for the last 4 years and it is so much better than wet spots or getting undressed and dressed in the stall at work....

Yeah, it is far easier to change into a diaper in a stall than to have to change a pull-up. Some of the floors can be pretty nasty too.

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement! I've been wearing mostly pull-up style when I go out for now. I'm not leaking so much that I have to change often when I am out (I'm hoping that doesn't change anytime soon). I'll use a tape on diaper if I am going to be away from a bathroom for a while (concert, etc.). They have saved me several times over the last month. There would have been quite a few accidents if I hadn't been wearing them. It has definitely confirmed that I need to stay diapered for now.

When away from home I start with a pull up and carry tape on diapers for changes. When at home or close by, I use cloth pin on diapers. This makes it much easier for me to change without removing shoes and slacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back