Not open for further replies.

PaddedDeist

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Is a medicated powder like Gold Bond or a generic version--with Zinc Oxide and Menthol OK to use? I'm not so hung up on the need to smell like baby powder--though I'm not against it either. But I wonder if this may help better than just the regular powder?

I use gold bond in a pinch. After the initial burn wears off it seems to come back with every wetting. I prefer regular powder. I think it works better. If your worried about the smell use less. No need to cake it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use much. I dust myself and rub it in first. I just have pull-ups right now so I step into them after the dusting. Definitely not caked.

Than just use whatever you prefer both will provide the desired results. Less chafing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that Aveeno Baby lotion works very well because it has Dimethicone, something hospitals use.

PaddedDeist said:
Is a medicated powder like Gold Bond or a generic version--with Zinc Oxide and Menthol OK to use? I'm not so hung up on the need to smell like baby powder--though I'm not against it either. But I wonder if this may help better than just the regular powder?

It depends on your need. I see powder use as a balance of preventing sweating and pimples that come with it, lubricating rubbing skin, avoiding over-drying of skin (eczema), and control of yeast. Your individual skin sensitivities and immunities will determine what you have to do to maintain a healthy balance - there's no one "right way" to do it that works for everyone.

I personally have the biggest problems with yeast and eczema, so I use a small but specific amount of Zeesorb AF (which is talc with anti-fungal added) in key areas, along with a fair amount of corn starch for during the day. For overnight I go with just talc, but have to be careful not to use too much or I'll quickly develop eczema. Any less AF and I'll get yeast. Any less powder in general and I sweat and get lots of pimples on my skin. It's a bit of a tightrope for me, most people don't have to deal with skin that's this needy. When in doubt I usually err toward pimples - I can tolerate that more than the other symptoms. (eczema can be very unpleasant!)

I use regular talc, preferably johnsons. Those medicated ones make my naughty part tingle.

If you're really needing medicated powder, look for Zeasorb. No burning, and it works really good.

Well, I don't really feel it burning but I'm not wearing/powdering regularly. This is just what i happen to have on hand right now so i was curious about it. I also wondered if the Zinc in the powder was helpful VS rash. I'll have to check out the different suggestions here though. :)

I perfer non medicated powder just because it doesn't sting or dry me out. The cornstarch baby powder works just great for hours of usage and I perfer to use a lot for the smell. My skin usually absorbs it anyway. I love baby smell!

I think I'll have to try out the cornstarch. Any suggestions on good brands available in the US (Oregon)?

PaddedDeist said:
I think I'll have to try out the cornstarch. Any suggestions on good brands available in the US (Oregon)?

corn starch, like talc, is a basic ingredient. Different brands of corn starch aren't gong to be too much different than say, different brands of bottled water. There's not much room for variety / improvement. Except maybe in fragrance?

I did have a VERY old bottle of talc I found back in the cupboard here awhile ago. It was just listed as "talc" without fragrance. It had very little smell to it. But there WAS a slight texture difference. Like the powder was slightly finer, it was closer to flour in texture. (considering the texture and the lack of scent, it really did appear to be flour) Probably had a finer grain size of talc in it. But at any point in time probably most of the manufacturers are buying their raw materials from the same source. And since talc and corn starch are just raw materials, there's going to be very little different in the final product. (beyond what they might add, like the aforementioned fragrance)

Oh, speaking of additives, I've seen cornstarch sold in combination with zinc oxide a lot. And I've seen talc sold with unspecified antifungals. Those seem to be the most common additives. Corn starch with AF would be pointless since corn starch FEEDS fungus, and the zinc oxide brings the corn starch's drying up to the same level as talc so again adding that to talc would be pointless, so the two don't usually mix. I personally was getting my corn starch and talc at walmart, their in store generic brand (equate) because it's cheaper and no different than say Johnsons and Johnsons. I'd suggest you get the store generic at your local chain pharmacy/grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back