Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boredom

Default Boredom

I've been super bored lately and haven't been able to get over it. Most of the time I end up buying stuff hoping it will make it stop, but it's mostly a stop gap. I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to keep this from turning into depression, but I'm not sure how well I'm doing.

I know the feeling. I mean, aside from having little trips here and there... life has been quite uneventful for me. It's even worse because we have a fixed income that gets mostly spent on bills and food... and we run out of money before the start of the month is over as well. So, going on longer adventures is often not a option either. The worst part is that I often get caught up in routine so much that I actually get super bored of it. I've tried doing things at home that I wouldn't usually do to ease the boredom I have... but that just worsens my anxiety. Mostly because my routine is very important to me, even if it can also bore me to death.

I agree, if I don't have a trip or event too look forward too I feel like I am just wasting my life. If money is an issue I like to go into the city, pretend to be a tourist, and strike up a conversation with a "local" to get ideas of something I've never done before. Good way to fine great food.

I have a lot of hobbies, but hobbies cost money. Video games, Comics, Diapers. (Yes diapers are a hobby) and movies. They all cost money.

I'm still pushing for the running option. Cheap sport, anyone can do it, and all you need is a good pair of running shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by KryanAshford View Post
    I've been super bored lately and haven't been able to get over it. Most of the time I end up buying stuff hoping it will make it stop, but it's mostly a stop gap. I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to keep this from turning into depression, but I'm not sure how well I'm doing.
    Kryan,

Boredom is a type of stress/anxiety...

I liken it to having your transmission in 'neutral' while continuously 'revving' the engine...

Perhaps, counter-intuitively - you simply need to relax...

... or, get in 'gear' with something productive/creative...

Have you tried any sort of meditation?

Take a bath or, do numerical exercises like counting "one - two - three - four, One", "one - two - three - four, Two", "one - two - three - four, Three", "one - two - three - four, Four"... better yet, while also moving parts of your body to a new position on each count of 'four'... Ideally, you'll engage both your mind and body in some sort of cadence or timing to set a pace... it needn't be strenuous or tedious... start simple and work your way to more complex functions...

Do this at the first notion of boredom... eventually, you'll find that you don't get bored anymore... you'll either get engaged with something and/or, stop needlessly revving your engine - you'll simply be able to rest, relax and, be introspective... or, clear your mind and; it gently tires you to where you can sleep more easily and thoroughly...

See what sorts of patterns you come up with and share them with us if you like...

My best for now,
    -Marka

I have a lot of hobbies, but hobbies cost money. Video games, Comics, Diapers. (Yes diapers are a hobby) and movies. They all cost money.
    Isn't that what a job is for? To support your ability to live you life (which includes hobbies).

Me at least, I work so I can live. I do not live so I can work.

My job barely pays me enough to live. I think I've been getting less than I should be for me position. I only get about 1000 a month

My job barely pays me enough to live. I think I've been getting less than I should be for me position. I only get about 1000 a month
    Ha... I don't know about the area you live but... that's only about $6.25/hour (160 hours/month) and only $12,000/year... assuming that you're full time...

According to one quick look-up... you're about $82-USD below the 2017 indicated poverty level...

I don't recall what your job position is now yet, if you're working full time, in just about anything... I'd think you should be getting at least twice that amount... o_O

I'm living on less than that myself (not counting medical)...

Are you still bored?