Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc McStuffins promotes LGBT rights, Moms freak out...

Default Doc McStuffins promotes LGBT rights, Moms freak out...

So, there was a recent episode with a lesbian couple in Doc McStuffins. While, it didn't focus a lot on them being a couple... it was very obvious. Parents freaked out...

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/08/07...oms-freak-out/

What do you think about this?

I think this is a good thing. It opens a world of diversity to younger viewers. This is what we need the future generation to learn... and the parents had no right to be freaked. I also think them being upset is going to encourage negativity rather than teaching their children that everyone is equal.

I'm sure Disney must have realized it was going to be controversial. None the less, they're really not doing anything but representing a facet of life in modern American society. The fact that there are children being raised by homosexual parents doesn't need to be treated like some shameful secret, and if a child encounters such a family and has questions, I don't see a need for some drawn-out discussion besides ''Some families have two mommies or two daddies,'' etc. If you paint it as a normal part of life, I think that's a good first step in helping a child grow up with a healthy, open-minded view of sexuality. (And no, watching Doc McStuffins is not going to instantly turn your child gay.)

Pretty sure that's not on Mrs. Junior's approved list for the granddaughter to watch. I have to check with her first on any and all movies and TV. As it should be.

She's a verbal prodigy, so there would be no keeping the secret if I let her watch something that mom doesn't like.
    Last edited by Maxx; 09-Aug-2017 at 16:05.

AFA is a weird hate group anyway, so them freaking out over nothing again doesn't surprise me.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    AFA is a weird hate group anyway, so them freaking out over nothing again doesn't surprise me.

I see nothing wrong with this.
    The American Family Association (AFA) is a non-profit organization based in the United States that promotes fundamentalist Christian values. AFA has been listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). The Southern Poverty Law Center tends to list right leaning groups as being hate groups. Groups should not be listed as hate groups just because they support the other side. We're going to end up with everyone being listed as a hate group by one side or the other, but that does not make it so.

Why did you bring up the AFA? Nothing in the posts or links mention the AFA.

Quote Originally Posted by ORBaby View Post
    The American Family Association (AFA) is a non-profit organization based in the United States that promotes fundamentalist Christian values. AFA has been listed as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). The Southern Poverty Law Center tends to list right leaning groups as being hate groups. Groups should not be listed as hate groups just because they support the other side. We're going to end up with everyone being listed as a hate group by one side or the other, but that does not make it so.

Why did you bring up the AFA? Nothing in the posts or links mention the AFA.
    The "Moms" that the OP is referring to is One Million Moms (a website created by AFA). I personally consider them a hate group, or at least messed up, because of things said by their radio talk show host.

I was watching Sesame Street and in a segment where kids talked about their families there was one with two mothers. Then later in Elmo's World there was a boy with two women but their relationship wasn't specified.

Good for Disney. Now as long as they don't cave into the bigotry or pressure from One Million Moms, which is apparently made up of less than 4,000 members, many of them white men, then we'll be fine. Interracial marriages were just as controversial in the sixties, but people opposed to them today would be called out for their prejudice. It's the same with same sex marriages. Why must people get so agitated by couples who simply love each other? With the high divorce rate and domestic abuse in heterosexual marriages, they should be glad anyone outside of the club even wants to consider entering into the institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Now as long as they don't cave into the bigotry or pressure from One Million Moms, which is apparently made up of less than 4,000 members, many of them white men, then we'll be fine.
    This isn't the first time they've done this. I heard in the live action Beauty and The Beast that Lumiere, I think, was gay... or was it Cogsworth... I can't remember since I haven't really seen it yet. I also doubt Disney will crack under pressure. They are a mass-corporation with a dozen things connected to them as well. It would be weird if they suddenly stopped showing diversity because of that many people. Like Kimba said, watching this episode isn't going to make their kids gay. It doesn't even mention that the two characters in this episode are a couple. The episode doesn't even focus on that at all. The worst thing kids are going to ask is why the kid has two mommies.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    Good for Disney. Now as long as they don't cave into the bigotry or pressure from One Million Moms, which is apparently made up of less than 4,000 members, many of them white men, then we'll be fine. Interracial marriages were just as controversial in the sixties, but people opposed to them today would be called out for their prejudice. It's the same with same sex marriages. Why must people get so agitated by couples who simply love each other? With the high divorce rate and domestic abuse in heterosexual marriages, they should be glad anyone outside of the club even wants to consider entering into the institution.
    There is such a thing as age appropriate. You just gave a great example of complete tone deafness.