Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

1. What is the easiest fold/way to use a flat cloth nappy? I tried a few but couldn't get it tight

2. I had a dream about putting in a Cath. It was (part of a 'need to go' dream) I've never dreamt about it or done it. What is it like? Can it do harm to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Justo View Post
    1. What is the easiest fold/way to use a flat cloth nappy? I tried a few but couldn't get it tight

2. I had a dream about putting in a Cath. It was (part of a 'need to go' dream) I've never dreamt about it or done it. What is it like? Can it do harm to try it?

1. Probably the butterfly fold. Just twist the diaper in the middle to create an hour glass shape, then pin it on. It's not the most comfortable fold though, so do an image search online for cloth diaper folds to see other methods.

2. (thousands?) Of people self cath every day, so it isn't as big of a deal as it's made out to be. You need to stay as clean as you can with inserting it, as this is the most likely time to induce an infection. You can buy them online, either intermittent (single short use), or folley (has a balloon you inflate with water to keep it in long term).

Cor some it can be somewhat painful inserting it, even with plenty of lidocane lubricant. For most is burns a little inserting it, but the burning goes away within an hour. Once in, you have no need or feeling of peeing, and will constantly drip pee no matter what.

Most prefer to connect the catheter to a leg or belly bag, which keeps it a closed system and less likely to get an infection. However, with a constant drip always flushing the catheter out (by staying well hydrated), you can also just let the catheter drain right into a diaper. IF you are prone to infections anyways though, this is not recommended.

Not needing to ever pee is a very freeing sensation, as is being pleasantly surprised to find you diaper is wet with no recollection of having gone. You never wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee either, though you may wake up to a very soaked diaper and bed.

I self inserted a foley last summer. I almost chickened out about halfway through but did it. After a few hours I decided I wasn't having any real fun doing this so I took it out.

I can't comment on cloth diapers as I've never had any success with them. But I use catheters daily. So here goes.

Provided you use actual proper catheters (and not some random tube you found in a hardware store), and you take care with hygeine, they are safe to use.

First of all, you'll want to use intermittent (straight) catheters, not a foley. For a foley, you'll need one-to-one training with a medical professional otherwise you risk rupturing your urethra from incorrect use of the balloon. Start with a size 12 or 14 (10s are very thin and floppy and it makes insertion more difficult. A catheter that's too thick will just hurt).

Wash your hands first. Then wipe the urethral opening with an antibacterial wipe. Just once.

Lube won't usually be necessary; most of them are already lubed in the packet or they are made of a hydrophilic substance that acts as though it's lubed.

I don't know if you're male or female, but if you're male they are somewhat easier to insert, because it's much easier to find the urethral opening. If you're female you may want to use a small mirror so you can see what you're doing (though with practise you won't need it). They are not painful (though it might feel weird and uncomfortable to begin with, more so if it's cold).

When inserting, do not touch any part of the catheter that will go inside you. Some catheters come in a packet that's designed to let you hold it as you insert it. Some have a plastic sleeve around them. Those that don't - you just have to be super-careful.

Hold the funnel over the toilet or a bowl etc. When the flow stops, push the catheter in about 1cm/quarter-inch more, then pull out slowly, this will ensure the bladder is fully emptied. Pulling out is slightly less comfortable than going in, but it's still not painful.

Intermittent catheters should be used only once then disposed of (don't flush them).

It's not possible to attach a collection bag to an intermittent catheter; the weight of the bag will just pull the catheter out. You can (though it's not recommended) leave one in and have it drain into a diaper. However, it will work itself out if you are active and moving about. Bear in mind that the longer you leave it in, the greater the risk of infection AND the more pain when you pull it out.

Thanks for the detailed information downtide. I don't have incontinence or need one, just wondering what it's like. No idea why it came up in a dream, normally it's just looking for a toilet.

I've ordered a few samples of different types, hopefully I don't need to call and chat to them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm male btw

Apparently I can't order one without speaking to a continence nurse or urologist

For me the idea of any tube going up there freaks me out so much. I will never see how anyone does it. Last time I had surgery I requested a diaper because I hate catheters so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Justo View Post
    Apparently I can't order one without speaking to a continence nurse or urologist
    Both catheters and diapers can be easily ordered through online companies. You do not need a prescription, nor do you need to talk to anyone.

Not sure why you think you need to, unless you're trying to order them through your health care provider.

I bought my foleys and the installation trays online. Some places want a prescription, but most don't care.