Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woes of ASUS ROG G75VW laptop...

Default Woes of ASUS ROG G75VW laptop...

So, I'm pecking this out from an allbeit, decent tablet... it's akin to interacting with the web through a peep-hole...

I really do prefer the comforts of a keyboard, mouse and, stationary multiple, large monitors [/rant]

ASUS G75VW
    i7 2.3GHz
    16GB RAM
    Win7 HP 64bit SP1
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX670M
    The specs on this rivals any desktop that I've owned, prior...

Not 'the' problem though may be related... When I first took possession of this laptop about a year ago; it would do a hard shutdown within a few seconds to a couple of minutes of the desktop appearing, right after logging on...

The temporary fix to this was to uninstall the video drivers... yet, that obviously limited higher resolutions and prevented multi-display function.

The work-around to that was to install a program that would allow me to set limits on the GPU, then I could load the driver and utilize higher resolution and dual display... mostly.

Periodically and, with no cause that I can determine; it will still crash off as though a switch was thrown - bam, it's out cold. Most oft it will restart though occasionally, no..
    GPU-Z shows 80 to 100 degrees F below max rated (around 212F) at an average of 120F running and, RealTemp shows the CPU peaking at around 160F...

I've had the machine apart for cleaning, inspection and, application of thermal mastic (heat sink compound) for both the GPU and the CPU with little apparent change.

There are some obscure and as yet unresolved similar complaints with this model that was manufactured around 2013 and sold for around $1,500 USD.

The problem now..
    What I first suspected as a distance/obstruction (line of sight) issue, with the onboard wireless reception... it would periodically drop the connection and/or, would report limited access... sometime allowing me to continue online and other times not...

I have tried drivers updated and earlier yet, it's now got to a point that the devices are shown in device manager yet with windows cannot load the drivers (code 31) and, similar complaints.

Thinking that a power-supply (voltage) and/or thermal deterioration may have killed the onboard ethernet and wireless controller - I purchased an external USB wireless adapter; only to have the same problems with it $38 later and still no love from my laptop...

I reinstalled the ATK package and have fn+F2 bringing up wireless and bluetooth switching yet, still no luck...

I don't understand what broke or how to figure it out...

Any idears or questions? It's plugged in and turned on...

Many thanks,
    Relegated to the peep-hole (tablet) for now,
    -Marka

Going back to the original problem.... it would seem there was a pre-existing condition. Could be software, could be hardware, could be both. Depending on where you got it, maybe the previous owner screwed it up somehow.

Is it possible to do a clean re-install of Win7? Major Pita if you have a lot of purchased/installed software... but if not, might be an option to rule out software/driver issues. Maybe another option would be to run Ubuntu from a thumbdrive to see if the thing drops out. I'm assuming you have a current backup of all your 'stuff' on an external drive. If not, that's step 1!

Edit: before doing that, I would check to be sure that updates for 7 are still available, and that reinstalls of any of your critical programs are still available for 7. It's old enough that it could be an issue soon, if it isn't already.

I wouldn't think power would be an issue with a battery powered device, unless the battery is shot or there's an intermittent connection somewhere. Battery is the ultimate in "clean" power. Disconnecting/reconnecting all connectors on the board is a long shot, but occasionally worthwhile. Another longshot, looking the board over for discolorations that might indicate hotspots where there's high resistance, possibly a cracked trace or defective component. Not sure what you could do about that other than replace the motherboard, if that's even feasible with a laptop.

P.S. I have a bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. I absolutely detest typing on a touchscreen.
    Last edited by Maxx; 04-Aug-2017 at 15:36.

I'd also recommend a full OS reinstall if you can. If you don't have it, contact Asus and see if you can get a restore disk for that model laptop. (They usually charge about $20-30 for the disk).

Also try to flash update your bios. It might be too out of date, and not fully support some previous software update you're currently running.

But yeah, it could be a hardware issue too, so it's a guess if even that would fix it. If it is a motherboard or (usually onboard) video card failure, then you're better off just getting a new laptop as they are often not as upgradable like a pc is.

You could try running a live OS from CD/DVD.

Slax is pretty simple. It boots up with everything preconfigured, so you can use Firefox, etc. Have a play and see if the problem still occurs to determine whether its a hardware or software issue.

https://www.slax.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Going back to the original problem.... it would seem there was a pre-existing condition. Could be software, could be hardware, could be both. Depending on where you got it, maybe the previous owner screwed it up somehow.
    It was my late brother's, it did travel by air with him... checked or carry-on? (idk)...

Is it possible to do a clean re-install of Win7? Major Pita if you have a lot of purchased/installed software... but if not, might be an option to rule out software/driver issues. Maybe another option would be to run Ubuntu from a thumbdrive to see if the thing drops out.
    I did run it for quite some time on Linux Mint with no apparent problems yet, when a updated gpu driver was installed - same problem as Win7 began. What I might do for shits & grins, just to prove out the OS/clean install theory is; do a clean install on an entirely different formatted hdd, to see if somehow different results appear.

I'm assuming you have a current backup of all your 'stuff' on an external drive. If not, that's step 1!
    Yeah, I'm probably going to sacrafice a bunch of movies etc, on one of the inherited 1tb external drives - and practice what I preach about back-ups. A clean install of Win7 would be a royal pita, for sure and, if I'm thinking correctly, the replication of hard-crashes in a Linux (based?) distro - probably points to it being a hardware (maybe bios) issue, that won't likely be resolved via a clean install.

Edit: before doing that, I would check to be sure that updates for 7 are still available, and that reinstalls of any of your critical programs are still available for 7. It's old enough that it could be an issue soon, if it isn't already.
    If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to utilize the stored Win updates for that part? (if they're not still available through Win-updates).

I wouldn't think power would be an issue with a battery powered device, unless the battery is shot or there's an intermittent connection somewhere. Battery is the ultimate in "clean" power.
    I was thinking more along the lines of the mobo power handling on the input side... the batt and brick seem to be well in tolerance on both voltage and current, respectively. It crashes with any combination of battery alone, with brick and, brick alone - that should clear either source alone and, put perhaps a convergence trace or a relay as a potential point of investigation - much like an under powered motor may create more load; I'm wondering if that might be causing an overload fault protection, inspite of temps being well within designed operating ranges...

Disconnecting/reconnecting all connectors on the board is a long shot, but occasionally worthwhile. Another longshot, looking the board over for discolorations that might indicate hotspots where there's high resistance, possibly a cracked trace or defective component. Not sure what you could do about that other than replace the motherboard, if that's even feasible with a laptop.
    Technically feasable yet cost-prohibitive, the ethernet is integrated with the mother yet the wireless and gpu are modularly replaceable (the going rate for a gpu replacement is around $500 *ouch!*). I don't recall how steep the mb replacement is, probably comparable to a low to midrange complete laptop replacement. On the previous tear-down (I only went as far as I had to, toget the gpu and both main heat-sinks out yet, I may go further in a subsequent dive and reseat all connectors. I did look through OptiVisors with glasses on too, for discoloration and cold soler joints, as well any visible trace/board fractures... I guess that I'm going to need a jewler's loop and a light-table and, a lot of patience - to inspect it on a more complete tear-down...

P.S. I have a bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. I absolutely detest typing on a touchscreen.
    I may have to resort to that too... I do keep forgetting about bluetooth peripherals... *note to self*

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    if I'm thinking correctly, the replication of hard-crashes in a Linux (based?) distro - probably points to it being a hardware (maybe bios) issue, that won't likely be resolved via a clean install.If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to utilize the stored Win updates for that part? (if they're not still available through Win-updates)
    Agreed on all points.

.I was thinking more along the lines of the mobo power handling on the input side... the batt and brick seem to be well in tolerance on both voltage and current, respectively. It crashes with any combination of battery alone, with brick and, brick alone - that should clear either source alone and, put perhaps a convergence trace or a relay as a potential point of investigation - much like an under powered motor may create more load; I'm wondering if that might be causing an overload fault protection,
    You did mention multiple monitors. Not sure what kind of load that inflicts on laptop power, since it's only video signal, not power for the monitors, but still. If you're doing external keyboard and mouse as well from usb, that might be significant.

I do keep forgetting about bluetooth peripherals... *note to self*
    They are cheap if you shop around. I think mine was under $20 at Fry's.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I'd also recommend a full OS reinstall if you can. [...]

Also try to flash update your bios. It might be too out of date, and not fully support some previous software update you're currently running.
    There haven't been much in the way of updates that I've allowed beyond surcurity updates - ever since the Win10 free upgrade offer became more of a forced upgrade through windose updates... I disabled automatic updates. More importantly perhaps, I've been more than a bit reluctant to try to flash the bios - for concern that it may shut off during an incomplete flash... possibly rendering it as a paper-weight... I believe that there may be preventative and recovery options if that was a legitimate concern of mine... I've not confirmed that though... so, bios flash is in the last-resort page for me atm...

But yeah, it could be a hardware issue too, so it's a guess if even that would fix it. If it is a motherboard or (usually onboard) video card failure, then you're better off just getting a new laptop as they are often not as upgradable like a pc is.
    See above: this one does have some modular replacement options - also, I haven't tbe means to buy a replacement except perhaps at a pawn or other used venue... which still results in a bit of a gamble, at that... eventually, I may wind up with little other choice..

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    You could try running a live OS from CD/DVD.

Slax is pretty simple. It boots up with everything preconfigured, so you can use Firefox, etc. Have a play and see if the problem still occurs to determine whether its a hardware or software issue.

https://www.slax.org/
    Thanks for the link, I may try that yet, see the above where I've ran linux mint... I was writing that reply while you were posting one too...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Agreed on all points.

You did mention multiple monitors. Not sure what kind of load that inflicts on laptop power, since it's only video signal, not power for the monitors, but still. If you're doing external keyboard and mouse as well from usb, that might be significant.
    Good thoughts however, this problem occurs equally with no peripheral devices, stand alone laptop and, as you say... this is only signal level (sans the built in display), the external kb and mouse are self powered wireless

They are cheap if you shop around. I think mine was under $20 at Fry's.
    So, stepping away from the hard crash issus ftm... I haven't yet hooked up a cat5 to check the ethernet functionality yet, it too with the wireless adapter and some bluetooth components - are flagged in device manager as inoperable... this is the most recent issue and, my primary plea to everyone's sensabilities and experiene... it poses a question, relating to the new usb wireless adapter, also failing to operate, though properly listed in dev-mgr and, with most recent drivers... What common dependency, might the usb adapter have with perhaps the internal one or, channel of data handling - that prevents it too from working?

Cheif compaint: I cannot get online with the laptop, for over a week now... it's completely dumped all my connections and simply shows "no connections available"... what internal failure, would thwart an exrernal adapter functioning?

Thank you all for your considerations!
    -Marka

I'd install the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers before troubleshooting further.

Or at least check the changelog to see if there are any fixes that might address your particular issues.

I have had very limited recent experience, but will share what I have had. In 2008 I bought a $2000 HP Pavilion laptop. Eighteen months later the motherboard was fried. I had it replaced under the service agreement and use it as backup only. I suspect that even operating within the temperature specifications, some solder joints just cannot take the heat/cool cycle.

My desktop was hit by lightening through the ethernet port which fried the onboard ethernet and the onboard display. I did what you did and purchased the USB ethernet adapter and it worked fine. However, the new video display card did not solve the display problem. I ended up buying and installing a used motherboard (they were cheap, so I bought a spare). Everything has worked fine for the past year or so.

Between me being old-school (I configured and managed about 20 Win 3.11 (upgraded to NT) chemical operator control interface computers about 20 years ago) and the KISS principle, all of my peripherals are wired. I agree, you should try the cat 5 ethernet connection. It seems very odd to me that you could not get the USB ethernet adapter to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    There haven't been much in the way of updates that I've allowed beyond surcurity updates - ever since the Win10 free upgrade offer became more of a forced upgrade through windose updates... I disabled automatic updates. More importantly perhaps, I've been more than a bit reluctant to try to flash the bios - for concern that it may shut off during an incomplete flash... possibly rendering it as a paper-weight... I believe that there may be preventative and recovery options if that was a legitimate concern of mine... I've not confirmed that though... so, bios flash is in the last-resort page for me atm... See above: this one does have some modular replacement options - also, I haven't tbe means to buy a replacement except perhaps at a pawn or other used venue... which still results in a bit of a gamble, at that... eventually, I may wind up with little other choice..

Thanks for the link, I may try that yet, see the above where I've ran linux mint... I was writing that reply while you were posting one too...
    Good thoughts however, this problem occurs equally with no peripheral devices, stand alone laptop and, as you say... this is only signal level (sans the built in display), the external kb and mouse are self powered wireless

So, stepping away from the hard crash issus ftm... I haven't yet hooked up a cat5 to check the ethernet functionality yet, it too with the wireless adapter and some bluetooth components - are flagged in device manager as inoperable... this is the most recent issue and, my primary plea to everyone's sensabilities and experiene... it poses a question, relating to the new usb wireless adapter, also failing to operate, though properly listed in dev-mgr and, with most recent drivers... What common dependency, might the usb adapter have with perhaps the internal one or, channel of data handling - that prevents it too from working?

Cheif compaint: I cannot get online with the laptop, for over a week now... it's completely dumped all my connections and simply shows "no connections available"... what internal failure, would thwart an exrernal adapter functioning?

Thank you all for your considerations!
    -Marka
    Pretty sure all of those things go through the Network interface. In desktops, that's sometimes a separate board. On a laptop, it's probably a chip on the mother board. If the cat 5 cable doesn't get you connected, that's likely the problem. I saw something in a forum about uninstalling and reinstalling the network interface.... that's probably what you did already when you were talking about drivers.