Airport Awkwardness

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentKnights

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Just thought I'd share my airport secuirty experience on my recent vacation:

While going through security on my way to vacation, my backpack was selected to be searched through (apparently due to some cough drops I had left in there). Naturally, I had a few spare diapers in there for the vacation, 2 space and 2 preschool. The security guard started going through it and upon coming across the diaper pocket, which also housed the cough drops, gave me kind of an awkward look. He brushed through the rest of the process without saying much of anything.

Needless to say, I was super embarrassed, I didn't think it could get any worse!

But I was wrong...

On my way back home, I was wearing a preschool diaper going through security, and off course my butt lit up on the monitor, which is odd because I've never had a problem with my space diapers. So I got a nice pat down under my shorts from that security guard (who I think was equally as embarrassed as I was). He had to feel ALL around my diapers butt area. AWKWARD!!

I guess my secrets out! :p My wife just laughed at me when it was done, of course! Honestly I survived and it wasn't THAT bad, but easily the most embarrassing moment(s) of my life.

I kind of wonder if there is some property about the diaper that sets off their scanners because the last two times I've had a diaper in my bag, they've pulled it aside to search it (but it could be coincidence too).

Also, that's precisely the reason I will only ever diaper up beyond security. I don't mind them seeing me in diapers, I just don't want to be delayed from my flight.

I was randomly selected for a search at the gate on a recent trip with my family. I had 2 tranquility ATN diapers in my bag. The guy searching kinda looked at them and just kept going. Fortunately, the rest of my family boarded the plane already (they don't support my desire to wear) and didn't see the search.

I have been told during my searches that the SAP in the diaper, especially the better ones can trigger the need for a closer look. I usually tell them I would like a private screening even if just for my bag so they can set things out on the table without the audience participation.

I guess the SAP can look like packing for a bomb under some conditions as it shows up as a dense, homogeneous area on scans. This is also why sometimes they will pull you out even if the diaper is dry if you go through the non-metal detectors.

Sounds like you dealt with it as bast you could. Remember they cannot tell you what you can or cannot wear for underware and it is none of their business. Most are professional and much embarrassed as you are.

I was helping my 90 year old mother in law get through security and I got pat downed even though I wasn't flying. I was wearing Big Baby training pants and when he patted my butt, his eyebrows raised. I was amused and thought, serves your right, asshole.

asshole for doing his job?

I think they need to focus more on real potential terrorist then people wearing diapers

joemama said:
I have been told during my searches that the SAP in the diaper, especially the better ones can trigger the need for a closer look.

Wet diapers are the problem. The detectors they use vary a bit, but they are looking for "energetic nitrogen compounds", so anything with nitrogen (especially nitrogen that's getting into the air easily) will trigger a lot of them. Wet diapers are the perfect way to emit nitrogen into the air, so no surprise they can trigger the detectors. They also tend to have nuclear detectors around, so you get someone with a wet diaper in say a wheelchair rolling through security that also happens to be on chemo, and you're pretty much guaranteed a search. (perfectly fits the template for a "dirty bomb")

Diapers will appear as an "anomalous organic mass" under the x-ray machine when they are in a bag and stacked together. Above a certain size warrants a bag search. The body scanners are a bit different in that they look for "one of these things is not like the other" or "whats in your pocket". Dry diapers have a better chance of clearing the body scanner while a wet diaper has a higher chance of reflecting some of the millimeter waves back to report an "anomaly". Believe it or not airport security officers see this way more in a day than most people think.

SilentKnights said:
Just thought I'd share my airport secuirty experience on my recent vacation:

While going through security on my way to vacation, my backpack was selected to be searched through (apparently due to some cough drops I had left in there). Naturally, I had a few spare diapers in there for the vacation, 2 space and 2 preschool. The security guard started going through it and upon coming across the diaper pocket, which also housed the cough drops, gave me kind of an awkward look. He brushed through the rest of the process without saying much of anything.

Needless to say, I was super embarrassed, I didn't think it could get any worse!

But I was wrong...

On my way back home, I was wearing a preschool diaper going through security, and off course my butt lit up on the monitor, which is odd because I've never had a problem with my space diapers. So I got a nice pat down under my shorts from that security guard (who I think was equally as embarrassed as I was). He had to feel ALL around my diapers butt area. AWKWARD!!

I guess my secrets out! :p My wife just laughed at me when it was done, of course! Honestly I survived and it wasn't THAT bad, but easily the most embarrassing moment(s) of my life.

It only has to be as akward as you let it. Instead of feeling embarrassed, just shrug it off and don't give it a second though.

I guarantee those tsa guards have encountered adult diapers LOTS of times. Though count yourself really lucky this is the most akward and embarassing situation you've ever encountered. It can get way worse than this, trust me.

And ps, I've been through a tsa securty scanner with an absolutely soaked confidry on before (no choice, was running late). I'm sure it flagged me for the pat down, which the guard did quickly and professionally. My bag with diapers has also been thuroughly searched from tsa down to disneyland security too. This has never once bothered me because I know I'm not the only one getting searched. It's routine, not embarrassing.

One of my worst airport diapered experiences is right after 9-11 I still had quite a supply of the old Green backed Depends overnight fitted briefs and was carrying about 8 in my backpack along with my clothes and other things I would need for a couple of days away from home on a mini vacation and was in Detroit the old Northwest Airlines terminal changing flights when they did the extra screening at the gates where they literally took everything out of your bag while you are being wand-ed down and patted down and everything is spewed out on the table with my diapers for the entire gate area to see and tell you this I felt like crawling into the holes of the airvents of the heater/AC thing on the floor. The idiot took one and opened it up as if to find a bonanza I said can you have some decorum in searching my belongings your embarrassing me. Guy said do you want to be on this flight I said yes and by the way my Grandfather was in W W I I so do not even try the being disrespectful avenue if he were here you would have been knocked on your backside . Needless to say I wanted to just cancel my trip and go home. Second is when I was in the same airport coming back from a International trip for the weekend and proceeded thru INS okay when it came to Customs well that was another story I was already soaked from the overnight trip back and desperately needing a change and dreading those words saying sir over to the table to be inspected I said oh sh*&&(& well there again I had 2 diapers left from the trip in my bag and one I had on that was on verge of leaking. Well again they spew the contents of my bag on the table looking in each item and scrutinizing each piece of paper and my two diapers in which again unfolded them and squeezed them and refolded them in a poor fashion and left my belongings on the table unsatisfied they said sir come with me for secondary search They said first door on right it had white walls and a mirror on the wall with two foot prints and hand prints on the wall I said UH OH to myself I said sir please I really need to change this soaked diaper They said empty your pockets and they went thru my wallet asking me over and over about my money in my wallet which was no more than 50 dollars and a couple of college type credit cards asking why I was in Germany for just a short time I said I went there for the weekend I never been there and cannot afford a lengthy stay so I went with what I could afford again not satisfied they said please undress I said hold on just a minute do I need a attorney at this point ? or call my parents a few hours away I felt helpless at that moment a US Citizen being treated in a matter that is terrible said either undress or we will undress you for you! I said oh by the way you can have the dirty diaper and if I dont gfet one off the table and put one back on you will have a mess on the floor so make this snappy ! First time I was violated with them groping me. I yelled RAPE !!!! supervisor came into room I said this f%%$&% guy just stuck his fingers in back there. I told the supervisor if he did not have a badge he would have been knocked out flat on the ground ! meanwhile a small puddle was forming on the floor told them I need one of those diapers you manhandled on the counter outside this fricken door NOW or you will have more of a mess now am I f%%%&% finished here so I can get my connecting flight and regain my dignity ! They said well we are sorry we are finished here I said you all are fricken morons after I left I went to a corner and balled my eyes out a airline manager came to me and consoled me I told them I was just been violated by customs and I just want to go home now.

I have had TSA search over my plastic underpants and disposables in my carry on before. Fortunately they have never pulled anything out and every time they barely acted like they even saw it. I am sure with their training they noticed it but as noted formerly, they are looking for items a bit more important than protective undergarments. In a way I am glad they do their job with dignity but I also realize it only takes one jerk to make the TSA get a bad rap / story line.

On a familiar issue, I have had the border crossing guards rake over my plastic underpants and diapers in my suitcase, even setting them a bit aside but fortunately it was all done in my car so no one else saw it. The guards did not even bat an eye when they moved it. They too are looking for more important items. Of course being a jerk is never in one authoritative industry so I can bet someone at the border would take a person's protective undergear and place it on the roof of a vehicle while they continued to search just so other people might see it.

It does not even bother me when they see it. They do not know why (DL or necessary for incontinence?) I have this type of protective underwear and I have never had any of them ask me. In a way I would probably feel better if they did ask me and I could tell them because it makes me feel secure like when I was 8 years and had to wear it then.

I keep my my dipers in large ziplock bags (clear) so that if security needs to check the bag they do not have to handle the new diaper, I have no problem with security checking my bag or checking my diaper I am wearing if it helps prevent some one sneeking something on a plane. Just fly in and with plain white medical diapers theres no need for shame or embarrassment. I have been wearing for almost 3 years for a OAB I no longer worry or stress about some one Knowing I am in a diaper.

Security primary job is keeping us all safe if you wear a diaper you need to stop stressing about some one finding out and if you are really worried and not incontinent leave the AB diapers at home.

xpluswearer said:
One of my worst airport diapered experiences is right after 9-11 I still had quite a supply of the old Green backed Depends overnight fitted briefs and was carrying about 8 in my backpack along with my clothes and other things I would need for a couple of days away from home on a mini vacation and was in Detroit the old Northwest Airlines terminal changing flights when they did the extra screening at the gates where they literally took everything out of your bag while you are being wand-ed down and patted down and everything is spewed out on the table with my diapers for the entire gate area to see and tell you this I felt like crawling into the holes of the airvents of the heater/AC thing on the floor. The idiot took one and opened it up as if to find a bonanza I said can you have some decorum in searching my belongings your embarrassing me. Guy said do you want to be on this flight I said yes and by the way my Grandfather was in W W I I so do not even try the being disrespectful avenue if he were here you would have been knocked on your backside . Needless to say I wanted to just cancel my trip and go home. Second is when I was in the same airport coming back from a International trip for the weekend and proceeded thru INS okay when it came to Customs well that was another story I was already soaked from the overnight trip back and desperately needing a change and dreading those words saying sir over to the table to be inspected I said oh sh*&&(& well there again I had 2 diapers left from the trip in my bag and one I had on that was on verge of leaking. Well again they spew the contents of my bag on the table looking in each item and scrutinizing each piece of paper and my two diapers in which again unfolded them and squeezed them and refolded them in a poor fashion and left my belongings on the table unsatisfied they said sir come with me for secondary search They said first door on right it had white walls and a mirror on the wall with two foot prints and hand prints on the wall I said UH OH to myself I said sir please I really need to change this soaked diaper They said empty your pockets and they went thru my wallet asking me over and over about my money in my wallet which was no more than 50 dollars and a couple of college type credit cards asking why I was in Germany for just a short time I said I went there for the weekend I never been there and cannot afford a lengthy stay so I went with what I could afford again not satisfied they said please undress I said hold on just a minute do I need a attorney at this point ? or call my parents a few hours away I felt helpless at that moment a US Citizen being treated in a matter that is terrible said either undress or we will undress you for you! I said oh by the way you can have the dirty diaper and if I dont gfet one off the table and put one back on you will have a mess on the floor so make this snappy ! First time I was violated with them groping me. I yelled RAPE !!!! supervisor came into room I said this f%%$&% guy just stuck his fingers in back there. I told the supervisor if he did not have a badge he would have been knocked out flat on the ground ! meanwhile a small puddle was forming on the floor told them I need one of those diapers you manhandled on the counter outside this fricken door NOW or you will have more of a mess now am I f%%%&% finished here so I can get my connecting flight and regain my dignity ! They said well we are sorry we are finished here I said you all are fricken morons after I left I went to a corner and balled my eyes out a airline manager came to me and consoled me I told them I was just been violated by customs and I just want to go home now.

Ok, yeah now that would be embarassing. And yes you should have gotten a lawyer involved after that "search".

As a disabled Matine, I wouldn't have yelled rape, I would have put him on the ground and then got the VA, ADA, and media support to sue them on my behalf.

wetatnight said:
I think they need to focus more on real potential terrorist then people wearing diapers

very true, but someone could be hiding a bomb in there underwear for all we know. They did there job, end of story. Probably a good idea to not wear through the border (unless your IC), just keep them in your bag. It saves a fraction of embarrassment. (patting your ass LOL)

ryan2127 said:
very true, but someone could be hiding a bomb in there underwear for all we know. They did there job, end of story. Probably a good idea to not wear through the border (unless your IC), just keep them in your bag. It saves a fraction of embarrassment. (patting your ass LOL)

As if. It takes one quick pat down to determine if someone is wearing a diaper, especially a soaked one. A strip search was a bit overboard in verifying that, but a body cavity search is just way too far. Especially when done without consent or even fore warning.

Like I said, if someone tried doing a surprise cavity search on me, they would be on the floor waiting for an ambulance. NO police officer has authority to do that to someone, let alone a TSA agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, and how would the TSA know if you're truly incontinent or not. Going through airport security is NOT a reason to be not diapered, wheter you have a physical need for them, or a mental need.

Slomo said:
As if. It takes one quick pat down to determine if someone is wearing a diaper, especially a soaked one. A strip search was a bit overboard in verifying that, but a body cavity search is just way too far. Especially when done without consent or even fore warning.

Like I said, if someone tried doing a surprise cavity search on me, they would be on the floor waiting for an ambulance. NO police officer has authority to do that to someone, let alone a TSA agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, and how would the TSA know if you're truly incontinent or not. Going through airport security is NOT a reason to be not diapered, wheter you have a physical need for them, or a mental need.

Actually, a TSA agent DOES have authority to body cavity search you. Under certain circumstances, they can pull you aside, bring you into a empty, secluded room and demand you to take all your clothes off and follow their directions. They dont physically touch you but following there order is a must if you want entry. If they gain enough suspicion that you are smuggling something or establish reasonable grounds that you pose a real threat, they will go that far and test you on it.

Im just suggesting that unless you dont physically need them, it might not be a great idea to wear thru the border. If your mind needs realization that your padded while going thru the scanners, then by all means.

Its your choice as to whether you want to take the risk and get callled out for wearing or not.

This happened to me when i flew to London a few weeks ago. I wasn't wearing one, but i had a couple Tena slips, M4s, plastic pants and other supplies in my backpack. A guy said that they would search my bag further, and he looked through my backpack and saw everything as i stood right in front of him. A weird experience for sure. I just avoided eye contact until he said "ok it's all good". I guess he thought i had incontinence issues since it was all medical diapers etc. My backpack also got searched when i went to see the Tower of London. This guy seemed to stop searching once he understood what was in there and just said "ok thank you" to get it over with. He seemed a bit embarrassed tbh.

ryan2127 said:
Actually, a TSA agent DOES have authority to body cavity search you. Under certain circumstances, they can pull you aside, bring you into a empty, secluded room and demand you to take all your clothes off and follow their directions. They dont physically touch you but following there order is a must if you want entry. If they gain enough suspicion that you are smuggling something or establish reasonable grounds that you pose a real threat, they will go that far and test you on it.

Im just suggesting that unless you dont physically need them, it might not be a great idea to wear thru the border. If your mind needs realization that your padded while going thru the scanners, then by all means.

Its your choice as to whether you want to take the risk and get callled out for wearing or not.

Uh, incontinent people DO NOT have a choice. And I never said tsa simply doesn't have the right to a full strip search, I said they have no right doing a body cavity search without your consent (or yeah, clear evidence one is needed- which they obviously did not have).

ryan2127 said:

My case was not a TSA Agent this was Customs at Detroit in the old Berry International Terminal a relic of poor design and functionality. And Customs thanks to congress have carte blanch to do whatever they want with you.
Some airports have portable digital x rays now so the invasive searches are now few and far between. Wonders do I need to pay the co pay for the x ray hmmm? LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back