Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airport Awkwardness

Default Airport Awkwardness

Just thought I'd share my airport secuirty experience on my recent vacation:

While going through security on my way to vacation, my backpack was selected to be searched through (apparently due to some cough drops I had left in there). Naturally, I had a few spare diapers in there for the vacation, 2 space and 2 preschool. The security guard started going through it and upon coming across the diaper pocket, which also housed the cough drops, gave me kind of an awkward look. He brushed through the rest of the process without saying much of anything.

Needless to say, I was super embarrassed, I didn't think it could get any worse!

But I was wrong...

On my way back home, I was wearing a preschool diaper going through security, and off course my butt lit up on the monitor, which is odd because I've never had a problem with my space diapers. So I got a nice pat down under my shorts from that security guard (who I think was equally as embarrassed as I was). He had to feel ALL around my diapers butt area. AWKWARD!!

I guess my secrets out! :P My wife just laughed at me when it was done, of course! Honestly I survived and it wasn't THAT bad, but easily the most embarrassing moment(s) of my life.

I kind of wonder if there is some property about the diaper that sets off their scanners because the last two times I've had a diaper in my bag, they've pulled it aside to search it (but it could be coincidence too).

Also, that's precisely the reason I will only ever diaper up beyond security. I don't mind them seeing me in diapers, I just don't want to be delayed from my flight.

I was randomly selected for a search at the gate on a recent trip with my family. I had 2 tranquility ATN diapers in my bag. The guy searching kinda looked at them and just kept going. Fortunately, the rest of my family boarded the plane already (they don't support my desire to wear) and didn't see the search.

I have been told during my searches that the SAP in the diaper, especially the better ones can trigger the need for a closer look. I usually tell them I would like a private screening even if just for my bag so they can set things out on the table without the audience participation.

I guess the SAP can look like packing for a bomb under some conditions as it shows up as a dense, homogeneous area on scans. This is also why sometimes they will pull you out even if the diaper is dry if you go through the non-metal detectors.

Sounds like you dealt with it as bast you could. Remember they cannot tell you what you can or cannot wear for underware and it is none of their business. Most are professional and much embarrassed as you are.

I was helping my 90 year old mother in law get through security and I got pat downed even though I wasn't flying. I was wearing Big Baby training pants and when he patted my butt, his eyebrows raised. I was amused and thought, serves your right, asshole.

I think they need to focus more on real potential terrorist then people wearing diapers

Quote Originally Posted by joemama View Post
    I have been told during my searches that the SAP in the diaper, especially the better ones can trigger the need for a closer look.
    Wet diapers are the problem. The detectors they use vary a bit, but they are looking for "energetic nitrogen compounds", so anything with nitrogen (especially nitrogen that's getting into the air easily) will trigger a lot of them. Wet diapers are the perfect way to emit nitrogen into the air, so no surprise they can trigger the detectors. They also tend to have nuclear detectors around, so you get someone with a wet diaper in say a wheelchair rolling through security that also happens to be on chemo, and you're pretty much guaranteed a search. (perfectly fits the template for a "dirty bomb")

Diapers will appear as an "anomalous organic mass" under the x-ray machine when they are in a bag and stacked together. Above a certain size warrants a bag search. The body scanners are a bit different in that they look for "one of these things is not like the other" or "whats in your pocket". Dry diapers have a better chance of clearing the body scanner while a wet diaper has a higher chance of reflecting some of the millimeter waves back to report an "anomaly". Believe it or not airport security officers see this way more in a day than most people think.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentKnights View Post
    Just thought I'd share my airport secuirty experience on my recent vacation:

While going through security on my way to vacation, my backpack was selected to be searched through (apparently due to some cough drops I had left in there). Naturally, I had a few spare diapers in there for the vacation, 2 space and 2 preschool. The security guard started going through it and upon coming across the diaper pocket, which also housed the cough drops, gave me kind of an awkward look. He brushed through the rest of the process without saying much of anything.

Needless to say, I was super embarrassed, I didn't think it could get any worse!

But I was wrong...

On my way back home, I was wearing a preschool diaper going through security, and off course my butt lit up on the monitor, which is odd because I've never had a problem with my space diapers. So I got a nice pat down under my shorts from that security guard (who I think was equally as embarrassed as I was). He had to feel ALL around my diapers butt area. AWKWARD!!

I guess my secrets out! :P My wife just laughed at me when it was done, of course! Honestly I survived and it wasn't THAT bad, but easily the most embarrassing moment(s) of my life.
    It only has to be as akward as you let it. Instead of feeling embarrassed, just shrug it off and don't give it a second though.

I guarantee those tsa guards have encountered adult diapers LOTS of times. Though count yourself really lucky this is the most akward and embarassing situation you've ever encountered. It can get way worse than this, trust me.

And ps, I've been through a tsa securty scanner with an absolutely soaked confidry on before (no choice, was running late). I'm sure it flagged me for the pat down, which the guard did quickly and professionally. My bag with diapers has also been thuroughly searched from tsa down to disneyland security too. This has never once bothered me because I know I'm not the only one getting searched. It's routine, not embarrassing.