FootieCrinkle

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Sissy
Hi all,

Does anyone know, is playing PSone CDs in a PC disk drive with an emulator bad for or hard on the CD drive? I'd love to break out my PSone collection on my laptop with a PS4 controller but I don't want to wear out my CD drive.

Thanks.

Cheers.

I don't think it would be much different than a PSone drive? As long as the laptop is still while it reads the cd... You could always make an iso file of the disc and play the game without the disc. In addition, there are also other "grey-zone"/semi-illegal ways, like downloading the iso from the web.

FootieCrinkle said:
Does anyone know, is playing PSone CDs in a PC disk drive with an emulator bad for or hard on the CD drive? I'd love to break out my PSone collection on my laptop with a PS4 controller but I don't want to wear out my CD drive.

In theory, using any mechanical device will mean that it will wear out sooner. But CD drives are designed to operate for decades without problems.

There was a problem with the original PlayStations because Sony manufactured them with plastic rails on which the CD lens transport moved, and placed the PSU nearby. Over time the rails softened, wore down, and tilted the laser, making it impossible to read the disc. The PlayStation drives wore out quickly because they were poorly manufactured; not because the discs cause more wear than any other CD.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Maxx said:
I don't know that I'd even worry about that. Computer optical drives are cheap and replaceable. Easier in a desktop than a laptop, but still not that big a deal. I'd say go for it. If the drive goes belly up (and as Tiny notes, not that likely) get another one.

Seconded, any use will wear them out eventually, but they are designed to last anyways. And even a laptop cd drive is easy and cheap to relace.

I can say absolutely that a PS1 game will not wear out your computer drive any more than any other disc would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back