Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential asthma?

Default Potential asthma?

All my life, if been very out of breath running to the point of having to stop and walk until my breath came back and then resuming running again. I like running but after about 5 minutes, I'm pooped! (Not literally, lol!)

In cold weather when I go outside, the cold air makes my throat and lungs hurt and a bit hard to breath, needless to say, I've come across kids with asthma which actually need to use inhalers during physical activities, I've never like collapsed on the floor but I would feel my lungs hurting, feeling sick as if I would throw up and lightheaded whenever I would run for more than 3-4 minutes.

This is a little personal and embarssing to put down but whenever I would masturbate, a few minutes during climax, I would have trouble climaxing but still be able to have an orgasm. I would have to stop every 5 seconds because I would be purple in the face, gasping for air and sweating like mad. (Sweating would only occur during penetrative sex) . It literally feels like I would embarrass myself during sex and put off potentinal partners or that I would have a heart attack.

Whenever I come in from a walk, I always find it a bit hard to talk without having to make pauses in my speech and I would have to lie down for a few minutes to catch my breath and cool down. I always seem to sweat during walks for some reason and I go for walks at least 3-4 times a week for about 40 minutes.

Is this normal, do I need more excerise or does it sound like mild asthma?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    Is this normal, do I need more excerise or does it sound like mild asthma?
    It sounds more like a cardiovascular capacity issue than asthma. Asthma, the airways constrict. Its not so much out of breath as not being able to breath effectively. I know a number of elite athletes with asthma. Occasionally, they have to use inhalers even during races, but it's a different thing than being 'out of breath'.

***** warning *****

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so I'm not qualified to comment on possible organic, pathological causes of cardiac insufficiency, other than to say there are a bunch of them. You COULD just be out of shape, or you COULD have a serious cardiovascular issue. At your age, cardiovascular disease isn't all that likely, but next time you see a doctor, you might want to mention it.

****warning over****

I have, however, been an endurance athlete for a long time, so I'm intimately familiar with "out of breath"

5 minutes running isn't a good indicator. My ankles are used up, so I don't run much anymore, but when I did, I always felt like crap for the first 10-15 minutes of any run until heartrate and bloodflow got up to speed. Those things aren't "instant on", it takes a while to warm up to support a hard effort. Even now, cycling, I don't even try to go hard for the first 5 miles or so. Swimming, it takes maybe half a mile stroking easy for everything to get loose and feel right before I try any sprints or speed work.

If you're really out of shape, you may not have enough oxygen transfer capacity to get to the point where things feel good. That's what it's all about... your heart, lungs, and circulatory system getting enough oxygen to your muscles so they can do their job. It takes time and effort to develop cardiovascular capacity. A good rule of thumb is a minimum of an hour a day of hard aerobic effort. More is better. Out of shape, maybe an hour of walking is the best you can manage for now. Building up capacity is a long process. Months, years, not days or weeks. Patience.

The good news is, barring physical defect, pretty much anybody at any age can get to the point (assuming they want to...) of having the capacity to run marathons or do ridiculous things like 100 or 200 mile bike rides. Or swimming miles at a time.

Edit: There may be a bit of an anxiety issue there as well. I can recall in high school, I didn't like running at all, and when we were forced to in gym class, my chest and throat would tighten up making it difficult to breath. Wrestling practice wasn't a problem, swimming laps wasn't a problem, riding my bike 10 miles to the Y wasn't a problem. Just running.
    Last edited by Maxx; 28-Jul-2017 at 19:19.

^What he said. I grew up with asthma and you have symptoms of asthma. My wife has had cardio issues and you sound like you have that, too. See your doctor and see what tests can be done to narrow it down. Please keep us posted. You know how caring we all are.
    Last edited by Scaramouche; 28-Jul-2017 at 19:14. Reason: typo

Whether it being asthma or something else you will only find out and get better with the help of a doc.
    5 mins of running can be exhausting for athletes depending on how fast you run. I've been jogging more or less frequently for 12 years and my first 5 minutes were a total disaster. Without proper shoes I started waaaay too fast. Same with swimming. I tend to get cramps...I swam in a pool with elderly folks and 5 mins later I was in pain and agony pulling my cramping leg out of the pool. I felt that shit for 1 week.
    If you talk about 5 mins of relaxed jogging then I would see a doctor.

I think I should book an emergancy appointment on Monday, but somehow I'm doubting it's anything like asthma but I feel too embarrassed in case it's one thing like I'm out of shape

I think I should book an emergancy appointment on Monday, but somehow I'm doubting it's anything like asthma but I feel too embarrassed in case it's one thing like I'm out of shape
    Don't be embarrassed! Doctors have seen everything. If you are out of shape, the doc will give you some guidelines to follow. If he thinks your symptoms warrant, he will order tests. Only he can give you the advice and reassurance you need.

It's not like I'm overweight or anything, I just dislike excerise

Seconded. Asthma has an unmistakable feeling of your lungs being constricted or chest being tight. It feels like you are lying down with a half-ton of bricks on your chest.

What you're describing sounds different. Definitely need to go see a doctor about it.

Well, I'm just going to do more cardio and see if that helps, I might not be fit enough...

Well, I'm just going to do more cardio and see if that helps, I might not be fit enough...
    You are still much better advised to visit your doctor, first. Just book a regular appointment (if you've had this all your life, it isn't an emergency)... just do shorter, lighter walks until the GP clears you for cardio and endurence building... Pushing the wrong things can end poorly for you.

Find the balance point between being panicky and fearful to; being oblivious and obstinent... work smarter before harder...

-Marka