Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worn down by Disability Civil Rights Battles Lately...

Default Worn down by Disability Civil Rights Battles Lately...

Even though I am not on the "Front Lines", I admit to feeling a bit worn-out with the ongoing battle for civil rights for us Disabled Americans. Many of my personal friends in the local disability community have been down to Washington, DC where the cops kicked them out of their wheelchairs onto the ground and some were actually stomped on by the cops. It is abundantly clear that many in the Republican Political Party want all us disabled dead. At least this is the perspective many of my disabled friends and I have. It is like every single day I have to personally justify my right to physically exist in this world as an older adult with Asperger's Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy. There is so much hate directed at us disabled because we physically exist in this world.

I'm worried too but for some different reasons, though they're both connected. My diabetic wife must dialize because her kidneys haven't functioned for 10 years. We do home dialysis and she's on the machine as I write this. Medicare pays for most of the cost and her private insurance the rest. But the Republicans are constantly talking about eliminating the preexisting clause in the AFC and reducing the benefits of Medicaid and Medicare.

They can't imagine how difficult it is to live with a life threatening disability, much less living with the constant threat that handling it may also be taken from us. It's hard enough getting her on the machine and hoping and praying that everything works. There are so many things that can go wrong when one does nocturnal dialysis including having a line pop off or the catheter coming out and the patient instantly bleeding to death. Threatening to deny funding only increases my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm worried too but for some different reasons, though they're both connected. My diabetic wife must dialize because her kidneys haven't functioned for 10 years. We do home dialysis and she's on the machine as I write this. Medicare pays for most of the cost and her private insurance the rest. But the Republicans are constantly talking about eliminating the preexisting clause in the AFC and reducing the benefits of Medicaid and Medicare.

They can't imagine how difficult it is to live with a life threatening disability, much less living with the constant threat that handling it may also be taken from us. It's hard enough getting her on the machine and hoping and praying that everything works. There are so many things that can go wrong when one does nocturnal dialysis including having a line pop off or the catheter coming out and the patient instantly bleeding to death. Threatening to deny funding only increases my anxiety.

Your concerns are justified.
    The Republican Controlled Congress is living in a bubble divorced from the reality persons with disabilities like me and your wife have to deal with.
    I myself have to set up my next scheduled MRI scan of my head to check on the Benign Meningioma Tumor in my brain behind my left eye where it is inaccessible by surgery. I also have an Eye Exam near the end of next month, where I need to have my eyeglasses replaced, since the frame is broken.
    Rather expensive, and I have no insurance to cover the 20% doughnut hole Medicare does not cover.

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    Even though I am not on the "Front Lines", I admit to feeling a bit worn-out with the ongoing battle for civil rights for us Disabled Americans. Many of my personal friends in the local disability community have been down to Washington, DC where the cops kicked them out of their wheelchairs onto the ground and some were actually stomped on by the cops. It is abundantly clear that many in the Republican Political Party want all us disabled dead. At least this is the perspective many of my disabled friends and I have. It is like every single day I have to personally justify my right to physically exist in this world as an older adult with Asperger's Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy. There is so much hate directed at us disabled because we physically exist in this world.
    I'm going to try to avoid saying what I feel - Instead, I'm going to say what I know, in regards to the general concern with actions proposed on the Afordable Care Act. (ACA)

It's taken years to put it together and impliment it - it should, take as long to see it vastly changed.

I depend on it as well...

The amount of people and the constriction of funds - is a problem.

Medicare and Medicaid could both be done much better - the levied taxes need not be so high... there's greater financial interests that go well beyond any of us regardless, of political alignment...

It is my concern that these threats to healthcare and, the increased taxation to the working class - is a matter to keep us busied in fighting imaginary 'sides'... meanwhile, we're all being rooked...

Is it truley, our neighbors accrossed the isle... that are our nemisis?

I don't believe so...

Be vigilant and diligent yet, don't be fearful of tomorrow for, tomorrow may never come.

Live now - we made it this far...

-Marka

Speaking your mind and protesting things you don't like is as American as.... Harley Davidson and pickup trucks.

Framing entitlements and redistribution schemes as "civil rights" is more than a little dishonest and divisive.

It's understandable that you would be concerned about losing benefits already in hand, but realistically, the sky isn't falling. That's a major problem with "government creep". Once you get a handout or social program in place, it's all but impossible to get rid of. How much is enough? How do you imagine taxpayers are likely to respond to demands that "You owe me!"

Edit: Isn't it just possible that strident demands for handouts as a right contributed heavily to the rise of the Tea Party, and ultimately the election of Donald Trump (yes, I know the Donald is not a conservative or in any way connected to the Tea Party, but he was the only choice other than 'business as usual' and the Party of Santa Claus.)

Consider though, that at some point the unproductive overhead becomes too heavy, and the economy collapses. Yes, the U.S. is the richest nation on earth, for now, but also consider that for the last 40 years we've been selling and mortgaging assets to maintain standard of living.

What's that you say, Maxx?

Two words: Trade Deficit

The U.S. balance of trade went negative for good in 1977. Foreigners don't just send us more than we send them not expecting to be paid. Assets (land, stocks, companies, cash) have to be sold or mortgaged to pay for it. We, as a country, are spending down our nest egg, built up over the 200 years from 1776-1977.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade...ical/gands.pdf
    Last edited by Maxx; 27-Jul-2017 at 14:25.

So a cop did it, and you blame the Republicans? So the Republicans went to the police and said if you see a person in a wheel chair push them out of it and kick them? Wow where is your evidence of that?

Imagine the opposite of all so called entitlements: no Medicare or Medicaid, no Social Security, no funds for public education, early learning, housing allowances, welfare, SNAP and others. The only thing tax revenue would go to would be infrastructure and the military. What would it be like to live in that world? Take it to its logical conclusion. Those who don't have private health insurance would be refused any and all professional health services. This is the extreme of conservatism. Would you like to live in that country?

There also would be no regulations on private health insurers so they could refuse anyone with a preexisting condition because that would lessen profits for the insurers. I wonder what the average life expectancy would be? So yeah, lets return to the 18th century.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Imagine the opposite of all so called entitlements: no Medicare or Medicaid, no Social Security, no funds for public education, early learning, housing allowances, welfare, SNAP and others. The only thing tax revenue would go to would be infrastructure and the military. What would it be like to live in that world? Take it to its logical conclusion. Those who don't have private health insurance would be refused any and all professional health services. This is the extreme of conservatism. Would you like to live in that country?

There also would be no regulations on private health insurers so they could refuse anyone with a preexisting condition because that would lessen profits for the insurers. I wonder what the average life expectancy would be? So yeah, lets return to the 18th century.
    Nice straw man there. Most if not all conservatives would not want that either. But you have set up this straw man to bad mouth conservatives.
    I am a conservative, and I have no problem with entitlements in fact I work for an agency that is one of the ones you listed above as an entitlement. Yet I am a conservative.

Lets do the straw man the other way, liberals want to do 100% taxation and give you what you need, no more no less. Liberals want to out law Christians (ala Berry Sanders 1) or force them to change what they believe (ala Hillary Clinton 2) Yes straw men can be fun, but they don't add to the discussion.

1 http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ce-by-christi/
    2 https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.338f675f0c50

I guess I may see things differently as a Libertarian Capitalist (the so-called Modern Day Republican/Conservative). Despite being on the disability scale with my Autism, I have tried to hide it in order to get jobs and have other benefits that many 'neo-nomals' take for granted. I am sorry to hear about the actions in Washington D.C. Caitanx, however both of us, as people on the spectrum, knew this day would come.

The Autism Speaks organization is raising money in support of Eugenics; citing the so-called benefit that eliminating Autism from the mix would give people no autistic children. If there is anyone to blame about the current tension between the country's disabled and the government/authority figures, it's those shady organizations. Organizations like Autism Speaks have embraced a Hitleresqe future in which the majority of people would not be disabled and instead the people who are disabled would not be able to mate and have children. Therefore, the amount of frequency of any disability would go down. However, we as a people should ask ourselves; "What about those on the spectrum who are functional and leading normal lives?" and "What about the ones on the Autism spectrum that have brilliant minds? Would we be destroying the smart population of our people?" These questions should be answered before eugenics of the Autistic people or the disabled in general should even be discussed. However as the power creep of the Autism Speaks organization heads towards Washington as lobbyists for eugenics, only time will tell.

Many dumb people in a crowd would believe that us, as disabled people, already have benefits that outweigh our reduction in options for employment and civil rights in general. This social grey area has caused companies and other health organizations to take a Social Darwinist perspective on the disabled people. Further limiting the entire disabled population and sometimes outright barring the smart people out of the autistic population from ever being productive members of society because we have problems in social situations.

I have experienced this "big stick" policy firsthand in college towards the disabled. I was practicing my first amendment right to freedom of speech/expression in a public area by playing classical music. Many of the students liked it and preferred listening to my pirate broadcasts of classical music to the local school radio station. I got 50+ positive comments from these people, however not all saw it that way. The African Americans on campus, not to sound racist or stereotypical, seemed to be practicing the art of listening to "hate rap" (which is a genre of rap that includes berating and cursing members of authority and also white people). They approached me one day and told me to turn it down so that they could listen to their "hate rap", I refused because I had just as much a right to the freedom I was expressing as they were. They reported directly to the Multicultural Services Associate Dean and beseeched him to do something about me. Along with complaints from Independent Bank that they couldn't hear their customers (because they have no physical barriers between them and the hallway which is public), the Associate Dean took action against me. I was brought in by the secretary near Thanksgiving break last year and wasn't told on whose authority or what charge was being filed against me. This Dean (who was also African American) said that he was going to Cite me for Disorderly Conduct. Which in the handbook, referred to a generalized set of conditions that had to be fulfilled - in effect, this charge could implicate anyone for looking the wrong way at another person! He forced me in an under the table deal in which I was forced to give up my pirate broadcasts indefinitely or at least confine my practices to a volume that no one else could get offended by my music. I responded initially saying that he thinks that Bach, Beethoven and John Williams is offensive? He replied yes, for the good of the African American Population in this school, I will be stopped one way or the other. I ended up accepting the deal, because this man wanted me kicked out because of his passion to eliminate any people who go against the wishes of his Multicultural people.

After that experience I slowly, but surely crept back into the light once again by doing more pirate broadcasts outside. That Associate Dean did not bother me, so I continued as an exclusive outside practice. Then I started to notice that while inside, the Associate Dean knew my schedule and was following me, in a stalking manner, to prevent me from starting up the pirate broadcasts in the inside public areas of campus. I responded by trying to charge the Associate Dean with misconduct because of his actions under the table and right now. I got too passionate in my account of it all and all that the student government saw, in the email I sent, was an inflammatory claim against that Dean. I was forced to retract it or face more charges, but I then proceeded to act upon his stalking by talking about it to my Disability Services Coordinator. With her advocacy I was able to destroy the deal binding me to his verbal contract of not doing pirate broadcasts, however as a precaution, inside I put my I-Pod at half of the normal volume so as to make it more reasonable inside. So far, after it was publicly known that this Associate Dean made a mockery of his standing by stalking a disabled student, he never bothered me again and I haven't been stopped since my indoor policy change. Although my parents take an even more conservative approach with it and say that I should not "play with fire" by doing it, I follow the laws and school regulations to the letter and official interpretations of these laws/regulations in order to make sure I will not be stopped again.