Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers/Boosters/Pads

Default Diapers/Boosters/Pads

So I will be having surgery next month. I will have a catheter for a week and then I am told that I could be stress ic* for awhile, maybe the rest of my life. Instead of wearing men's pads, someone suggested women's light days period pads as they might be more cost efficient. Then someone actually said - ta-da! - use the smallest baby diaper as a pad as they are very absorbent and cost efficient when buying the big box.

So does anyone have the cost breakdown (I know I can look it up but I'm feeling lazy - and I want advice) on which is cheaper: Stuffers, pads, diapers r women's period pads? I really don't want to smell girly (sorry) at work or smell like a baby (sorry again) so the odor of the products is an issue as well.

*Stress ic: You leak a little whenever you laugh, cough, sneeze or stand up in a hurry. What fun!

I don't have an actual cost breakdown, but can verify the baby diapers are cheaper, AND last longer as a booster, AND perform better in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    I don't have an actual cost breakdown, but can verify the baby diapers are cheaper, AND last longer as a booster, AND perform better in comparison.
    Does newborn size work the best? Less bulky?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
    Does newborn size work the best? Less bulky?
    For adding as a booster to an adult diaper, I like size 1. Newborn or size 2 will work too. It just has to have a small enough width to leave a channel/gap in between the leak guards. Go too big, and you'll be inviting leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slomo View Post
    For adding as a booster to an adult diaper...
    I was thinking more along the lines of regular underwear with some sort of protection.

I was thinking more along the lines of regular underwear with some sort of protection.
    No then. The baby diaper will leak, and depending on your flow and volume that might be upon the very first wetting.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a standard adult pullup or "underwear". Even those don't hold more than minor leakage though.

Women's "period pads" don't work very well (been there done that). They just weren't designed to absorb urine and don't have the necessary ingredients to absorb that amount of liquid or fight the oder. I've used both male Guard Pads and baby diapers and they have worked well for me in various situations. The baby diapers are a bit cheaper at $0.15-$0.20 each (depending on size and Qty.) as opposed to about $0.22 each for the Guard Pads, all at Walmart.

I would try female IC pads but don't use the ultimate size for discression reasons.
    I used to wear the Poise back when I worked.

*Stress ic: You leak a little whenever you laugh, cough, sneeze or stand up in a hurry. What fun!
    The OP is saying he may have stress IC and leak a little (my emphasis).

Therefore I think a baby diaper would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDenise View Post
    The OP is saying he may have stress IC and leak a little (my emphasis).

Therefore I think a baby diaper would be just fine.
    Thank you. I was going to repeat that. The diapers freak my wife out but the others are so expensive. It might come down to experimentation. As a side note, I have found a 1 size diaper to be quite absorbent.