Not open for further replies.

TheRainbowPrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (which they found to be the cause of most of my incontinence but that's not what this topic is about which is why this is in the off topic forum)

I guess this topic is looking for meal ideas and ways to manage. I am used to eating whatever junk I want, whenever I want, and I guess that's what got me where I am!

For breakfast this morning I had a banana, a mini waffle, and a small iced coffee drink, and my mom told me "ok, just don't eat another banana. Bananas are bad for you when you have diabetes" :dunno: uhhh WHAT? In what universe is fruit BAD?

I've got a lot to learn.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. o.o

I'm not a doctor nor do I myself have diabetes, but several friends and family members have dealt with it. My mom was pre-diabetic for several years but is now considered healthy, go figure.

Generally you want to avoid carbs and processed foods as they cause spikes in blood sugar... foods high in protein work better at stabilizing that. If you'd like I can give you a recipe for chili that almost everyone enjoys.

EDIT: Oh, and eggs work well for breakfast. ^.^

Ooo chili! Is it made in the slow cooker? I love a good chili and a good slow cooker recipe lol

pgfdp said:
Ooo chili! Is it made in the slow cooker? I love a good chili and a good slow cooker recipe lol

I typically use a stovetop. I stir it about every 15 to 20 minutes while it's simmering, and I let it simmer for at least 2 hours. I suppose it might be possible to translate it to a slow-cooker recipe, but it works rather well as it is. ^^;

I have Type II diabetes, but have my blood sugar under control for the most part--with medication. I suggest you Google "Type II Diabetes" and follow the dozens of links it brings up. I also offer as a strong suggestion that you go off the junk food cold-turkey. You system is going to get a shock when you do, but just like with anything else difficult, "just doing it" is the least painful in the long run.

As to the carbs... you need a balanced diet which includes some carbs at every meal; I was told by the people I consulted that you aim for 45-60 grams of carbohydrates at each meal--and you try to spread the meals out over the day fairly evenly. Start reading nutrition labels on the foods you buy; the label will tell you how many carbs there are in a serving of whatever. Just for an example, a 1-cup serving of Cheerios has 21 grams of carbs; a 1 cup serving of Raisin Bran has 46 grams. 8 ounces of milk has 11 grams of carbs. A small banana has about 18-21 grams of carbs. Vegetables have fewer carbs than grains or meat, but you need some of each.

You might ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician at the local hospital or health clinic. That person can give you good training and food management plans. Good luck, you can get things under control!

My wife is a Type I diabetic. She uses an insulin pump so she can eat anything within reason. Sugar and carbs will jack up your sugar, as will alcoholic drinks, fruit juice, etc. The problem with bananas is that they are high in potassium and that can effect your cardiovascular system.

Mostly you want to eat a well balanced diet. You should have a good idea of how many carbs you're ingesting. Are you on medication or are you injecting insulin? That makes a difference as to how much and what you can eat. Be sure to check your blood sugar several times daily, and before you go to sleep. Control is extremely important. My wife is now an amputee on kidney dialysis. You don't want that to happen to you. If you can lose the weight, get working on that now because diabetes is a horrible disease, over time.

I do not have diabetes, but my brother that is staying with me does.

I have been on a life style change for the last year and the meal planning has been helping him also.

IT can be a pain to deal with and also feel impossible to find food with out added salt and sugar. (I suggest to everyone to watch "FED UP". IT is about the food industry us of sugar like a drug dealer)

Basically make your own food from scratch and do not add salt or sugar. Instead use Celery Finally chopped or even purred for salt (68 mg/1/2 cup).

It will take a little while but you find that "bland" foods do have a lot of very settle flavors.

As far as fruit goes, yes some is good but over doing it will send your blood sugar to the roof. Try adding vegetables as fillers.

Good luck.

egor said:
Basically make your own food from scratch and do not add salt or sugar. Instead use Celery Finally chopped or even purred for salt (68 mg/1/2 cup).

It will take a little while but you find that "bland" foods do have a lot of very settle flavors.

Celery in place of salt? o_O I must admit that thought never occurred to me -- I usually prefer garlic. ^.^

And what is this about bland foods? There's no need to sacrifice flavor. ^.^ I make most of my own food, I don't use very much salt (I bought a container of sea salt 5 years ago and still haven't finished it), and sugar is unheard-of... I don't even have any in the house. But I promise that my food is far from bland. ^^; I'm never out of fresh garlic or onions, and have quite the spice cabinet...

Sapphyre said:
Celery in place of salt? o_O I must admit that thought never occurred to me -- I usually prefer garlic. ^.^

And what is this about bland foods? There's no need to sacrifice flavor. ^.^ I make most of my own food, I don't use very much salt (I bought a container of sea salt 5 years ago and still haven't finished it), and sugar is unheard-of... I don't even have any in the house. But I promise that my food is far from bland. ^^; I'm never out of fresh garlic or onions, and have quite the spice cabinet...

Carrots also can add salt.

As for "Bland" my family complains about the lack of salt and the food is to "Bland". But I found that if you actually take TIME and chew y the food the very settle flavors are very good and the food is anything but bland.

This is something that gets me about cooking shows. A pinch of salt here and there and the 1500 mg daily limit is reached almost in one meal.

The thing my brother found is that with the decreased salt level his blood sugar was more manageable. I also have gotten into quite a herb scenario and that adds way more flavor then Salt.

- - - Updated - - -

another tidbit from "Good Eats" and an added supposition.

Excess salt blocks the bitter receptors, Thus the term "taking your medicine with a dose of salt". This is what the food industry uses to hide the bitter preservatives they add to food by adding 700-100 mg salt per serving.

egor said:
Carrots also can add salt.

As for "Bland" my family complains about the lack of salt and the food is to "Bland". But I found that if you actually take TIME and chew y the food the very settle flavors are very good and the food is anything but bland.

This is something that gets me about cooking shows. A pinch of salt here and there and the 1500 mg daily limit is reached almost in one meal.

The thing my brother found is that with the decreased salt level his blood sugar was more manageable. I also have gotten into quite a herb scenario and that adds way more flavor then Salt.

- - - Updated - - -

another tidbit from "Good Eats" and an added supposition.

Excess salt blocks the bitter receptors, Thus the term "taking your medicine with a dose of salt". This is what the food industry uses to hide the bitter preservatives they add to food by adding 700-100 mg salt per serving.

Very interesting and good to know. o.o I'm surprised that your family complains... usually I gripe when there's too much salt in food. o_O Also, I've not heard that term before... I'm more familiar with the Mary Poppins "spoonful of sugar" version. ^.^; But I have also used sea salt to decrease bitterness when making limonade (yes, lemon and lime, not a misspelling) -- I only sweeten it lightly with orange blossom honey, and while I don't want it over-sweet, I want a strong tartness to the flavor, and a little salt helps facilitate that while blunting the bitterness. ^^;

Sapphyre said:
Very interesting and good to know. o.o I'm surprised that your family complains... usually I gripe when there's too much salt in food. o_O Also, I've not heard that term before... I'm more familiar with the Mary Poppins "spoonful of sugar" version. ^.^; But I have also used sea salt to decrease bitterness when making limonade (yes, lemon and lime, not a misspelling) -- I only sweeten it lightly with orange blossom honey, and while I don't want it over-sweet, I want a strong tartness to the flavor, and a little salt helps facilitate that while blunting the bitterness. ^^;

My wife and her family think salt is a major food group! I will also add that I have been told by them that "Vegetables are a luxury".

egor said:
My wife and her family think salt is a major food group! I will also add that I have been told by them that "Vegetables are a luxury".

LOL! "Vegetables are a luxury"? Price check!! Haha, I've been thinking about starting my own vegetable garden since I'm so often raiding the produce section of the store. ^.^;

EDIT: I think if I were cooking for your family, they'd get the opportunity to call my food "bland" exactly once... and the next day they'd get a habañero surprise. :laugh: "Still too bland?" *giggles*

Last edited:
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the news.

A number of my relatives have type 2 diabetes, and I have learned from them that it is easier to manage than type 1, and in some cases is reversible. The symptoms improve the more you are able to get your body fat under control.

My co-workers with diabetes have told me that Atkins type diets can be a good start. Your immediate concern is carbohydrates, especially sugars. Pancakes and waffles are especially bad. I don't see how fruit is that big of a problem. Fruit juice is very high in sugar. Fruit is mostly fiber, which is filling and helps with sugar processing.

One thing I eat is quesadillas with low carb tortillas. I use the La Banderita brand myself. I make a sandwich with cheese, salsa, hot sauce, and refried black beans between two tortillas. It's filling and low carb.

Type 1 diabetic here.

Best advise I can give to keep your blood glucose levels in check is to restrict carbohydrates.

Are you taking insulin? Or metformin?

Fruit, bread, rice, basically anything with carbs it's best to eat in moderation and preferably keep as low as possible.

I tend to avoid high carb dinners, as this causes high sugars overnight. Stick with meat and veges (excluding starchy veges) for dinner and this will definitely keep your blood glucose over night at an acceptable level.

I replace mashed potato with mashed cauliflower for example, still tastes great especially on a shepherds pie, but zero carbs!

Look up a book called "what the fat" it's got some great tips and basically outlines a low carb/high fat diet. Fat isn't bad!!! (Well there are still bad fats) but fatty foods such as meat, avocados etc will still give you energy without the massive impact on blood glucose levels.

I've had type 1 diabetes for almost 20 years, take insulin multiple times per day and I have to count carbohydrate (grams) and match it to the insulin I am taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife has diabetes. Plain bake some trimmed chicken into the oven. You can also put some spaghetti or bbq sauce on top and sprinke some cheese on that. Add some frozen broccoli on the side too. 350 for 25 minutes is about good.

Also try 97% lean meat. Make it into burgers, meatloaf, or use it in with some whole wheat spaghetti.

Pretty much any kind of dish that has the fat and additives cut out from it is good. Always try to go fresh and lean if possible. Avoid pre-packaged, and certainly anything with fat, oil, sugar, sucrose, or too many carbs in it.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

No I am not taking anything yet, they told me I only need to be diet managed as of thus far. But my family has a major problem with diet.....I've seen my family spend 2 to 3 hundred dollars US on soda, cookies. and other junk food at the grocery store, and then get fast food for dinner, and sadly since I am disabled and don't control the money or have a car I have little say in the matter but to eat what they feed me or not eat at all. My parents are both diabetic but I think me being diagnosed at only 23 with type two and literally being told I was going to die young if I didn't change right now was a big wake up call.

Ouch, sounds like your parents missed that wake up call. Glad you got it though.

pgfdp said:
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sounds like you could take the lead for the family making better choices!!

Definitely cut out all the sugar and most of the carbs and you will be right on track!

Maybe suggest they put a few dollars of those hundreds on junk into salads and lean meat for yourself. All you need is veges, protein and some amount of fat to be absolutely satisfied and on track to stay healthy. Even small things like replacing white thick breads with wraps will help reduce carb intake and be much better for diabetes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best advice I was given when I was diagnosed is learn what a serving size really is, and don't forget to treat yourself once in a while, but plan ahead. Bananas are specifically bad because they are high starch, and half a banana is considered one serving of carbs (~15 grams of carbs per serving).

If you find yourself missing out on the crunch factor, try celery and salsa/sour cream dip. I'll try to write down some of my own lower carb recipes when I get a chance.

Look up the Diabetic Exchange Diet. It was designed by actual doctors and it isn't one of those fad diets. It helps to break down your foods into different categories and you get a fair amount of flexibility on what you can eat but it does involve controlling your portions of the different types of foods. I'm a big guy and when my wife and I worked out how many calories I needed per day for me to lose weight, it worked well. But this is not just for weight loss, it is about getting all the right foods you need for a healthy and balanced diet. Your doctor or nutritionist should know about this and they can help you set up what your caloric intake is supposed to be and help you understand what food equals what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back