Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Anyone else with diabetes? Meal ideas?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone else with diabetes? Meal ideas?

    I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (which they found to be the cause of most of my incontinence but that's not what this topic is about which is why this is in the off topic forum)

    I guess this topic is looking for meal ideas and ways to manage. I am used to eating whatever junk I want, whenever I want, and I guess that's what got me where I am!

    For breakfast this morning I had a banana, a mini waffle, and a small iced coffee drink, and my mom told me "ok, just don't eat another banana. Bananas are bad for you when you have diabetes" uhhh WHAT? In what universe is fruit BAD?

    I've got a lot to learn.

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. o.o

    I'm not a doctor nor do I myself have diabetes, but several friends and family members have dealt with it. My mom was pre-diabetic for several years but is now considered healthy, go figure.

    Generally you want to avoid carbs and processed foods as they cause spikes in blood sugar... foods high in protein work better at stabilizing that. If you'd like I can give you a recipe for chili that almost everyone enjoys.

    EDIT: Oh, and eggs work well for breakfast. ^.^

  3. #3

    Default

    Ooo chili! Is it made in the slow cooker? I love a good chili and a good slow cooker recipe lol

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by pgfdp View Post
    Ooo chili! Is it made in the slow cooker? I love a good chili and a good slow cooker recipe lol
    I typically use a stovetop. I stir it about every 15 to 20 minutes while it's simmering, and I let it simmer for at least 2 hours. I suppose it might be possible to translate it to a slow-cooker recipe, but it works rather well as it is. ^^;

  5. #5

    Default

    I have Type II diabetes, but have my blood sugar under control for the most part--with medication. I suggest you Google "Type II Diabetes" and follow the dozens of links it brings up. I also offer as a strong suggestion that you go off the junk food cold-turkey. You system is going to get a shock when you do, but just like with anything else difficult, "just doing it" is the least painful in the long run.

    As to the carbs... you need a balanced diet which includes some carbs at every meal; I was told by the people I consulted that you aim for 45-60 grams of carbohydrates at each meal--and you try to spread the meals out over the day fairly evenly. Start reading nutrition labels on the foods you buy; the label will tell you how many carbs there are in a serving of whatever. Just for an example, a 1-cup serving of Cheerios has 21 grams of carbs; a 1 cup serving of Raisin Bran has 46 grams. 8 ounces of milk has 11 grams of carbs. A small banana has about 18-21 grams of carbs. Vegetables have fewer carbs than grains or meat, but you need some of each.

    You might ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician at the local hospital or health clinic. That person can give you good training and food management plans. Good luck, you can get things under control!

  6. #6

    Default

    My wife is a Type I diabetic. She uses an insulin pump so she can eat anything within reason. Sugar and carbs will jack up your sugar, as will alcoholic drinks, fruit juice, etc. The problem with bananas is that they are high in potassium and that can effect your cardiovascular system.

    Mostly you want to eat a well balanced diet. You should have a good idea of how many carbs you're ingesting. Are you on medication or are you injecting insulin? That makes a difference as to how much and what you can eat. Be sure to check your blood sugar several times daily, and before you go to sleep. Control is extremely important. My wife is now an amputee on kidney dialysis. You don't want that to happen to you. If you can lose the weight, get working on that now because diabetes is a horrible disease, over time.

  7. #7

    Default

    I do not have diabetes, but my brother that is staying with me does.

    I have been on a life style change for the last year and the meal planning has been helping him also.

    IT can be a pain to deal with and also feel impossible to find food with out added salt and sugar. (I suggest to everyone to watch "FED UP". IT is about the food industry us of sugar like a drug dealer)

    Basically make your own food from scratch and do not add salt or sugar. Instead use Celery Finally chopped or even purred for salt (68 mg/1/2 cup).

    It will take a little while but you find that "bland" foods do have a lot of very settle flavors.

    As far as fruit goes, yes some is good but over doing it will send your blood sugar to the roof. Try adding vegetables as fillers.

    Good luck.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post

    Basically make your own food from scratch and do not add salt or sugar. Instead use Celery Finally chopped or even purred for salt (68 mg/1/2 cup).

    It will take a little while but you find that "bland" foods do have a lot of very settle flavors.
    Celery in place of salt? o.O I must admit that thought never occurred to me -- I usually prefer garlic. ^.^

    And what is this about bland foods? There's no need to sacrifice flavor. ^.^ I make most of my own food, I don't use very much salt (I bought a container of sea salt 5 years ago and still haven't finished it), and sugar is unheard-of... I don't even have any in the house. But I promise that my food is far from bland. ^^; I'm never out of fresh garlic or onions, and have quite the spice cabinet...

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    Celery in place of salt? o.O I must admit that thought never occurred to me -- I usually prefer garlic. ^.^

    And what is this about bland foods? There's no need to sacrifice flavor. ^.^ I make most of my own food, I don't use very much salt (I bought a container of sea salt 5 years ago and still haven't finished it), and sugar is unheard-of... I don't even have any in the house. But I promise that my food is far from bland. ^^; I'm never out of fresh garlic or onions, and have quite the spice cabinet...
    Carrots also can add salt.

    As for "Bland" my family complains about the lack of salt and the food is to "Bland". But I found that if you actually take TIME and chew y the food the very settle flavors are very good and the food is anything but bland.

    This is something that gets me about cooking shows. A pinch of salt here and there and the 1500 mg daily limit is reached almost in one meal.

    The thing my brother found is that with the decreased salt level his blood sugar was more manageable. I also have gotten into quite a herb scenario and that adds way more flavor then Salt.

    - - - Updated - - -

    another tidbit from "Good Eats" and an added supposition.


    Excess salt blocks the bitter receptors, Thus the term "taking your medicine with a dose of salt". This is what the food industry uses to hide the bitter preservatives they add to food by adding 700-100 mg salt per serving.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Carrots also can add salt.

    As for "Bland" my family complains about the lack of salt and the food is to "Bland". But I found that if you actually take TIME and chew y the food the very settle flavors are very good and the food is anything but bland.

    This is something that gets me about cooking shows. A pinch of salt here and there and the 1500 mg daily limit is reached almost in one meal.

    The thing my brother found is that with the decreased salt level his blood sugar was more manageable. I also have gotten into quite a herb scenario and that adds way more flavor then Salt.

    - - - Updated - - -

    another tidbit from "Good Eats" and an added supposition.


    Excess salt blocks the bitter receptors, Thus the term "taking your medicine with a dose of salt". This is what the food industry uses to hide the bitter preservatives they add to food by adding 700-100 mg salt per serving.
    Very interesting and good to know. o.o I'm surprised that your family complains... usually I gripe when there's too much salt in food. o.O Also, I've not heard that term before... I'm more familiar with the Mary Poppins "spoonful of sugar" version. ^.^; But I have also used sea salt to decrease bitterness when making limonade (yes, lemon and lime, not a misspelling) -- I only sweeten it lightly with orange blossom honey, and while I don't want it over-sweet, I want a strong tartness to the flavor, and a little salt helps facilitate that while blunting the bitterness. ^^;

Similar Threads

  1. Diabetes Insipidus - Anybody else?
    By RedAndBlue in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2016, 04:24
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2014, 07:21
  3. diabetes
    By matt1989 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Nov-2011, 17:58
  4. Can diabetes cause bed wetting?
    By dlclint in forum Incontinence
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2011, 09:25
  5. Last Meal
    By BabyMullet in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2008, 06:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.